We (Family of three with 8 months old infant) had booked the Discovery Kartika Plaza through the internet and were a bit sceptic, whether it would keep up to all the great reviews we had read on the internet. But yes, it did.
Close to the airport, yet we didn't hear any noise from the airport. If there wouldn't be that constant traffic jam of Kuta one would reach it in only a couple of minutes - with traffic jam it was about a 20 minute taxi-drive. Do take the official taxis though from the counter outside the arrival hall as they were MUCH cheaper than any price we would have managed to bargain with the "taxi drivers" that linger around trying to rip off tourists.
The building is a little aged but - as well as the whole grounds - VERY well maintained. There are hords of staff who quietly and almost unnoticed are constantly cleaning and maintaining the premises, so that the age didn't matter at all. The building is widely spread over the grounds and slips in nicely with the surrounding vegetation, so that the size of the place was hardly noticed. It is located right at the sea, yet there is no beach there as a wave-breaker wall is installed at that part of coastline. Never mind - walk a couple of hundred meters to either side of the hotel on an (even pram-friendly!) path and you will be at the beach. Also one doesn't get hassled by all the people wanting to sell stuff as much infront of the hotel as at places right at the beach.
Towards Kuta the beach is with supervising Lifeguards, yet there are only few spots where swimming is allowed. It is mainly a surfers beach.
The pool is very nice and big with a nice swim-up bar. We never had problems finding a sunbed (even in the shade).
Next to the hotel is a big and quite decent shopping mall (lacks a proper supermarket though) - yet one doesn't get any noise from it.
On check-in the staff wanted to be very helpful and nice and upgraded our room so that we would have a bigger room which fitted the baby-cot better and with a terrace with wall around it so that our baby-boy couldn't crawl away. This is where we don't give all five stars, as the room was big, yes, but very very dark. Even during daytime we couldn't be inside without turning the light on. And as it was a corner room on the ground floor, surrounded by shrubs, we did have a mosquito problem inside and on the terrace.
As we arrived in the late evening with the baby sleeping in the carrier we didn't go and check out the rooms before deciding. Also the problems only became obvious through the next days. We decided not to complain as we didn't want to pack up and move rooms (if that option would have been offered).
Mosquito spray and an electric insect repellant were already provided in the room, but the electric device didn't have any effect (mozzies were flying right around it) and as we had the infant with us we didn't want to use the spray inside. So we ended up being quite good mozzie-hunters.
Apart from that, room and bathroom were fine. Had everything it needed in decent quality - yet in the bathroom the age of the building was quite obvious - but again well maintained and everything worked fine, so that didn't matter to us.
The speed of the in-room internet needs improvement though.
Fantastic! Always friendly, prompt and nothing seemed too much trouble. 5 out of 5 for that.
Very nice food with MANY choices, yet obviously not very cheap. But then one is in an upper class hotel. There are several restaurants on the grounds which serve different foods in really nice locations and the in-room dining service was good, too.
There are many restaurants along the road outside the hotel and along the beachfront path, which offer food at much cheaper prices, yet not always as good quality. Worth while a try though if you don't always want to eat at the hotel.
Another 5 out of 5 gets the FANTASTIC breakfast-buffet. It is the largest we have ever seen (and we have seen many). It offered a full asian, full english/american and full continental buffet-section. The quantity and quality were superb and right until the end at 10.30 am they kept filling everything up. It was always the highlight of our day.
Only 4 out of 5 from our point of view gets the seafood-buffet dinner with Balinese theme-night. The variety of food and the setting up of the buffet gets a 5/5 but for our taste there were too many mussels and the prawns were a little tasteless and could hardly be peeled. The beginning of the show with Balinese dances etc. was great fun, but the second half of the show just didn't have anything to do with Bali (wild dances to baroque-style pop music in supposedly baroque costumes, Flamenco-show and showpart with participation of guests - although the Aussies who seemed the most visitors of that hotel, seemed to like that) and it was way too loud. We were disappointed and found it too expensive for what we got out of it.
Unfortunately we hadn't gone for any of the other theme-nights. They were cheaper and probably would have been more suitable for us.
We had a great time at the hotel, would go there again and would definitely recommend it to friends and family.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Discovery Kartika Plaza Hotel offers the warmth of Balinese service with caring and thoughtful service. Set on 8-hectares of gardens and ponds, along 550-metres of private beach, are 318 rooms, suites, and villas. This includes villas with beachfront access, ocean view suites, and ocean front rooms.The hotel has 3 dining outlets, 2 bars and 2 lounges, and facilities such as a swimming pool, full service business centre, day spa, and Kid’s Club. Spacious function rooms, including a 700 sqm ballroom, and a private helipad allow for grand celebrations, romantic weddings, private business meetings, or large conferences.The hotel proves welcoming for couples, friends, families and business executives. Its convenient location makes it an ideal gateway to the vibrant and colourful sights of central Kuta. It is within walking distance to the main Kuta shopping areas, including the neighbouring Discovery Shopping Mall, Waterbom Park as well as a variety of retail, dining and entertainment options. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Hotels.com, Booking.com, Expedia, Agoda, HotelQuickly and Ctrip TA so you can book your Discovery Kartika Plaza Hotel reservations with confidence. We help millions of travellers each month to find the perfect hotel for both holiday and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Discovery Kartika Plaza Kuta
- Discovery Kartika Plaza Hotel Bali/Kuta