“I will definitely come back”

Best Western Resort Kuta
Ranked #117 of 251 Hotels in Kuta
Byron Bay, Australia
“I will definitely come back”
Reviewed 20 March 2012

Okay, we read all the review before we came and decided to book anyway. I decided to write my review whilst we are still here to straighten a few things out. To be honest, SOME of the complaints seemed silly, but understand this is from MY experience may not reflect other peoples stays.
My partner and I have come for a month, we checked in at 9pm very efficiently and quickly and all staff were friendly. Our room was great, we booked a superior room and got one over looking the pool luckily, there were a small amount of cracks in the floor but again its not a big deal for people who arent complete perfectionists.
Breakfast in my opinion is great, It's a buffet with a lot of Asian style cuisine but also a lot of western choices too, to cater to all guests properly, if u want eggs you fill out a ticket with your preferences and the omelet chef will make it for you, I don't understand why that is a problem.
As for the location, I didn't find it a problem because I know the area well, but if you take a left when coming out of the hotel and then make a right down a lane way next to the restaurant with the 'cripsy duck' sign, and one more right, you will be on the main stretch in less than 5 min. If you lookit up on maps, it's less than 1km away. There are dogs on around but if you ignore them, they won't hurt you. I guarantee the alleys are not dangerous at all, although a little dark. So in my opinion the location is fine for people who are willing to do a little excercise, those who really don't want to walk can get the free shuttle service at the resort every two hours. The staff here are great to, they will cater to your needs and do it with a good friendly attitude, they are very genuine and sincerely want to help you. Say good morning and remember some names and maybe they you won't alienate yourself from them.
So all in all, I recommend this resort fondly to anyone who isn't expecting an absolute luxury 5 star resort, who appreciates all the work that is put in and can be flexible around minor personal complications that are bound to arise during your vacation is stead of digging in your heels and being sour. Again this is from my experience.

Room Tip: bring charcoal pills incase of Bali belly, they are a lifesaver
  • Stayed March 2012, travelled as a couple
7 Thank Michaelamaj710
Turn Your Opinions into Points!
Turn your opinions into JPMiles
Turn your opinions into PAYBACK Points
*You can enroll in only one programme at a time to earn rewards for reviews.
JPMiles / Payback Arrow
JPMiles / PAYBACK

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (111)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Indonesian first
  • Korean first
  • Vietnamese first
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed 17 March 2012

I was initially a little apprehensive about staying here after reading other reviews but gave it a chance anyway. We booked the hotel airport transfer and i would recommend to all guests to do the same (just drop them an email) The guy was waiting for us when we arrived and was really nice, he had broken English but really made the effort. The hotel is only about 10 minutes ffrom the airport. When we arrived we checked in strate away and they even gave us a welcome drink. The room was huge and on the ground floor. We had toiletries and free bottled water every day (don't drink the tap water). The towels are not particularly clean that they give you so try and take your own bath towels or you can pick up "bintang" towel for around £2.00 on the markets. There were little things that need to be improved with the room but overall a nice size and clean. There was a minibar but it smelt horrible when we opened the door so didn't use it or even use it as a fridge. There is a free shuttle bus to take you into the main town which is really good but stops around 8 and is only once an hour. Failing that you can walk (its about 10 minutes) the walk is a little dodgy but once you've done it once its fine. Taxis are everywhere but interesting. Make sure you get a price before you get in the cab as they will try to scam you. Bluebird taxis are a good company. Make sure you tell the taxi driver which best western it is as there are two, one is on the beach. You can also hire a moped which is the main way of getting around. We didn't use a moped so cant comment on the price of them. You will get hassled by people who want you to buy stuff but just be polite and say no . Buy clothes etc from the markets and local people and haggle. They will try to rip you off because you are a tourist but only because they are trying to make a living. They are not doing it in a "conman" type of way. Ie. a bintang vest is only worth 25,000 INR but they will ask for a lot more, make them an offer and they will usually take it. Food is cheap and there are lots of places to eat on the Kuta strip. Discovery shopping centre is in the centre, the beach is also about a 20 minute walk, waterbom is only 10 minute walk aswel.. Try and do a tour of the island aswel, you can book through the hotel or a lot of the shop owners will offer tours, its a good way to see the culture. The hotel often shows films in the main grounds which is a nice touch. Eating at hotel is a lot more expensive and they add on a service charge and tax at the end so just be aware of this. There are a few good nights on with traditional dances etc which are worth the money. Breakfast is ok and free and is on until 11 am which is good. The pool is lovely with a pool bar but there are only a few sunbeds so when its busy you will have to wait for one. The spa is lovely, more expensive then the spas on the strip but its worth it. We had a full body massage and facial with foot wash and scrub for £17.00. The staff are really helpful and friendly and always there when you need something. The internet isn't the quickest but is free and there are also two computers free to use in the reception area. If you charge anything to your room make a note of how much the bill was, what you had and when. When we checked out we had already paid for some things that they were trying to charge us for again so just be careful and check through your bills. They were really apologetic and sorted it strate away. We had a really early morning flight and they took us to the airport again for very little money. There is a circle K across the road which is really handy and really cheap. Make sure you have a bintang beer as its really cheap for the size (about £2.00). Water is really cheap aswel which you need as Bali is very hot and humid. Make sure you also watch the sunset on Kuta beach as it is amazing. Bali is certainly not the "paradise" everyone thinks but Once you get over the interesting smells and dirty roads etc its a really good place which we loved although it wont be to everyone's tastes. This hotel by no means is perfect and there are definitely things that can be improved but once you look past these minor flaws the place is really nice (its only a 2/3 * after all). If you want luxury then i would suggest booking something nearer the beach. We would certainly stay here again if we were on a budget again.

• Stayed February 2012, travelled as a couple
2 Thank nicolaM5
Jakarta, Jakarta Raya, Indonesia
Reviewed 15 March 2012

I've got best Value Price from Booking.com 50 USD /night for standard room, and free Breakfast for my two children 6 and 7 years old, I stayed here for 2 nights with my wife and 2 children, the pool is good for my children, the breakfast is great with International Standard eventhough we have the same menu on those 2 days, the hotel is clean only the car parking is small since I rent a car but still manage to park my car every time, I prefer this location rather than near the beach because it is more flexible to go anywhere from here since if near the beach we should go round if we want to go or back to the hotel since it is 1 way direction road, only 5 menit using car to Kuta Beach and to near oleh-oleh shopping point such as Joger and Khrisna. Even You can buy the cheapest Arak Bali in Bali Jaya Store on the end of Tuban Street near the hotel. The room is cozy with big size bed the shower bathroom (I took standard room and got 2008 room number). You can enjoy staying near the pool for sunbathing or watching the kid beside the pool on the restaurant. With its price it is awesome with International standard service compare to other hotel with unknown service hotel on the same price. On the 2ns day I have to move to Sanur since my next destination is North Bali ubud, Sanur sukawati celuk and kintamani. But If only Kuta and its surrounding I prefer to stay here.

Room Tip: Choose Internet Price it is cheaper than publish rate. You can use booking.com or Agoda
  • Stayed February 2012, travelled with family
1 Thank Daoen
Perth, Australia
Reviewed 3 March 2012

By all means it had a few faults,but to be honest for the price i found it to be exactly what i was looking for,spent 8 nights and found all the staff to be friendly and helpful

• Stayed February 2012, travelled solo
Sydney, New South Wales, Australia
Reviewed 21 February 2012

Being my third trip to Bali in the last few years my partner and I decided that this time we'd stay at the slightly quieter end of town and close to the Discovery Shopping mall.
Hotel is closer to the airport than I realised.
The actual hotel on a whole is not a bad place. The grounds are clean and well maintained. However, we did have a few issues...
*Only one room key was allowed and when I asked for another one as my partner and i would sometimes go seperate places, we were declined. The trouble with this is that the aircon and all the power in the room does not work unless the room key is in the power slot by the door. After 7-8 hours of shopping int he 40+ degree bali heat, all you want todo is come home to a cool room... this was not possible as we couldnt leave the AC on or even set a timer for it to come on just before we got hmoe. The AC was so pitiful that it would take over an hour to start to cool the room down.
*The fridge didnt work. I called to reception and they tried to tell me that thats the way the fridges were. But when I insisted that there was absolutely no power to the fridge, maintenance was sent up (after we waited an hour) and the fridge was replace. Im still not sure if the fridge power also turned off when the key was taken out of the power slot, but the replacement fride was NEVER cold either. It also had a rotten fruit smell. This meant we NEVER had a cold drink. We had to either order the overpriced lobby bar drinks or go across the road to the circle K to have a cold water.
*Breakfast was poor compared to other hotel buffets ive encountered. there was an omlette chef but you had to put an order on your paper pad which was not on every table so we had to go and borrow one from other guests. Staff service was poor, we sat away from most people becuase my partner is a smoker, however, staff would walk past us and not offer us tea or coffee, or set up our table with cutlery. I had to ask for everything. i wuold ask for my coffee to be filled, and then had to go and get my own milk. It sounds like nothing but when you feel like you are cnostantly asking asking asking for simple services that you see other people receiving, it makes you feel invisible. Also, omlettes were served raw, two days ina row despite asking for them to be cooked through.
*Location is not so good. The only way to the beach and town is through a choice of two scary looking unlit streets. My partner is a 100+kg islander, and I STILL felt uncomfortable walking through there at sunset...

We ended up checking out three days early and upon my early departure I wasnt asked why I was leaving despite the fact that I was clearly unhappy. I had prepaid my account but was willing to give up the AUD$200 just to get out of there and get a comfortable room.

Disappointed to say the least.

Room Tip: Corner rooms (we were placed in) are large but noisy.
  • Stayed February 2012, travelled as a couple