New! Find and book your ideal hotel on TripAdvisor — and get the lowest prices

Review of Secret Garden Inn

Secret Garden Inn
Ranked #5 of 250 Kuta B&B and Inns
Wonthaggi, Australia
“great plce to stay stayed twice and will return”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 21 July 2011

if you want reasonable rooms at a reasonable price i would highly recomend the secret garden, rooms are clean and serviced daily, very frienldy staff, free basic breakfast(if you want a big breakfast better of going down the street to buy it works out cheaper than paying for extras)very quiet and well located just off poppies lane1 a fair bit quieter than poppies2
only fault i can pick is when you shower the whole bathroom gets wet but by the time you go out shopping or having a few bintangs the room has been cleaned anyway

• Stayed July 2011, travelled as a couple
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
Turn Your Opinions into Points!
Turn your opinions into JPMiles
Turn your opinions into PAYBACK Points
*You can enroll in only one programme at a time to earn rewards for reviews.
JPMiles / Payback Arrow
JPMiles / PAYBACK

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (55)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
Surfers Paradise, Australia
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 29 January 2011

I stayed here for one night on christmas in december and aside from an incident with the nazi breakfast lady and some loud drunk aussies it was ok.

I am staying here now as there is delay on flights due to volcanic ash and I needed a place to stay for a couple of nights.

We walked in an asked rates the day before, he asked for one or two, I said it was just me as my girlfriend (who was there) would be flying out at 9 oclock the night we checked in.

So I arrive the next day and the woman at the desk gives me a different rate, they quoted 250 initially and then sais it's 350 for 2 people, I explain again that she is not staying and has to fly out that night. (the policy stuck to the door by the way states guests can stay until 11:45 at night).

Then we walk in with our luggage (i took it in two loads as there is a lot) and they stop us at reception saying we cant have two people stay the night, so three times we have to tell them.

We get to the room and there are three large cockroaches dead on the bathroom floor and toilet brush is in the toilet. No worries though we get someone to clean them up, there are rats and cockroaches everywhere here, but with three dead you would think someone would have seen them and swept them up before...

I received an email from my dad saying flights have resumed today however I am not sure whether my flight is still two days away, so I ask reception if we can get a refund on the night if the flight status changes.

He starts blabbering on about how we have two people in the room and the boos sais if anyone even has a shower in there they are charged for two people, we clearly haven't had showers and stink from walking around in the heat.

We ask whether the manager is here as he sais no he is in denpasar.

When you check in they will not tell you there is no refund . He tells us that this is because some people check in and don't like the room and then check out and want a refund! So if you don't like it no refund, great attitude.

I don't really care about this too much as I have travel insurance and I will probably fly out on Monday anyway but hey, you go and tell someone politely the situation and they give you some lame excuse about people not liking rooms, so no refunds.

From previous reviews you will see that there are no refunds even for long stays so think very carefully about it if you are booking a long stay. The situation we were in was clearly different, and should the flight switched be tomorrow I would have to leave and pay for a room they would be able to rent out.

Other fantastic things about the hotel are the breakfasts, which are clearly worth waking up for when the surly woman brings you some second rate food you will wish you stayed in your room. Also if you need to access the internet to check flights you for some reason cannot bring your laptop to the table where the router is even though there are very few if any people there. Expect scowls from the staff and much sign pointing.

This hotel is not a bad location, the room is ok and has fridge and tv (not much to watch though as channels are crap). I would not recommend it simply due to the arrogance of the staff and their insistence on stupid rules that have no real purpose.

Oh and the published rates on the internet are a load of you know what.

Rates for a room are 300-350 for two people and 250 for one person, they are advertised at 500,000 IDR on their website, yet another reason not to book online and pay up.

If you must stay here, pay night by night and don't pay the rates on the net unless it is a public holiday or something.

I would not have posted this review if I hadn't just stayed at the Kubu hotel around the corner, while there hotel does not have a fridge and has a crap breakfast as well the staff were friendly and gave us a refund on the late checkout payment we made when we checked out.

Judging from the previous reviews of this place the management and staff of this place really don't learn from their mistakes, I believe it would take a change in ownership to change the vibe of this place from an uptight nursing home to a comfortable place to stay.

I'm not sure if this will post but I tried just before and it took 30 minutes to almost upload with 5 photos which gives you an idea of the speed of the internet here, or lack of. Trying to upload again now.

• Stayed January 2011, travelled solo
3 Thank Adaveinthelife
Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 19 December 2010

A convenience location. Value for money, clean room & friendly staff. Though its in a middle of a busy poppies lane street, you can still fine peacefulness there.

• Stayed December 2010, travelled with family
singapore
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 30 November 2010

Stayed at Secret Garden Inn for 4D3N on the 26th - 29th Nov 2010. It was a little difficult to find this place but we walked from Poppies Lane 1 and asked the locals and we got there fast after turning into a few lanes.

During check in, they didnt update my check in dates, was suppose to check in on the 23rd but i had previously e-mailed them saying i will amend the check in to 26th Nov and they replied ok. So receptionist told us, the room that was originally reserved for us was taken up (i requested for 2 single beds), he had to give us a room with 1 bed, which was still ok. Just need to take note, please print out your correspondence with this hotel, so that checking in will be easier.

We were told to pay 400,000/night upfront, told the receiption that we needed to get our money changed into IDR first; we will settle the bill at night and he was totally cool about it. He mentioned buffet breakfast would be thrown in from 730am - 10am. I did asked if breakfast could be arranged earlier for us on the 29th Nov as we had to check out at 645am, he replied not possible as the staff would still be at the market. That was also fine.

We were given the option to choose rooms on the 2nd floor or ground floor. The highest is only 3rd level. With luggages in our hands, naturally ground floor facing the pool was an easy choice.

Door was squeaky each time you try to open, locking and unlock the door requires much effort as you will be required to push the door till you hear a "click" sound before you can lock. No drinking water/toothbrush/mosquitoe coils were provided; if you wanted any of it, you will be charged. The bed was squeaky as well and sinks right in after you lie down on it. It certainly wasnt the most comfortable of sleep.

Wifi as other travellers have mentioned, was only operational from 10am - 10pm. No swimming in the pool after 10pm as well. Air con and fan in the room were the only saving grace. They have a safe in the cupboard, but we didnt use as it looked old.

Buffet Breakfast the next morning was just a plate of fruits (please check the bananas, they served rotten ones, which i saw and discarded), 2 eggs in any style you wanted and toast with jam plus coffee/tea/orange juice. We were disppointed. This ain a buffet as mentioned, this is just 2 eggs! That just made me wonder why was it difficult to acceed to my request for an earlier breakfast. Additional eggs are chargable at 5,000/egg, bacon at 20,000 and water at 10,000/bottle.

But i have to say, location wise, this hotel is great, just 10 minutes walk to Kuta Beach, 15 mins walk to Matahari mall, 10 mins walk to Hard Rock Bali and 30 mins walk to Jln Melasti. Transport was readily available! Not forgetting the affordable food and shoppping you can find at Poppies Lane 1 and Lane 2. Personally i found Poppies Lane 1 to be better. Transport to Airport can also be arranged at 60,000 IDR.

We have paid slight more for this hotel than in our hotel in Ubud and we were given Better breakfast/rooms/bed in Ubud. Now tell me to manage my expectation.

• Stayed November 2010, travelled with friends
2 Thank pinklyn
Nelson, New Zealand
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 21 September 2010

I stayed here in August with my 12 year old daughter. The pool was great and really suitable to cool off and chill out in after a busy day. It was nice and quiet. The staff were friendly but I had booked a twin room and they gave me a double and when I asked to have it changed the guy walked out and left us there(at midnight) so there was nothing I could do about that. Once we had stayed a night, I couldn't be bothered with the hassle of changing. I also asked for a wake-up call for a tour we were going on, but they didn't ring us. I woke in time anyway! The room was almost clean, but as were were only sleeping there it was ok for us. It had a good fridge and aircon which were my number 1 priorities. The location is excellent and handy to lots of great restaurants and the markets in the lane were great. I would definately stay here again as it is so central to everything in Kuta. The staff in the cafe were excellent, very friendly and helpful.

• Stayed August 2010