“Quiet, relaxing and quality Jimbaran resort” 4 of 5 bubbles
Review of Karma Jimbaran

Karma Jimbaran
Ranked #6 of 53 Hotels in Jimbaran
Australia
“Quiet, relaxing and quality Jimbaran resort”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 3 September 2012

Myself, husband and two children (18 months & 4) have just returned from a week at Karma Jimbaran. As we booked a special deal through Bali Getaway we were allocated one of the less favorable villas in the Karma Jimbaran complex, saying that we loved the villa itself (perfect for 3 couples with NO young children) we loved the balinese decor, the private pool and the space afforded to us and after a week on the Kuta beach strip we were really looking forward to relaxing and a slower pace for the second week of our holiday

Now for the downside, the 'castle' villa 20, has 52 steps on 4 levels from entry to the top floor living space ... what more can I say .... it was like management were playing a cruel joke when they put us in such a nice place where we could not relax with young children, the steps were a nightmare, the kitchen was on the top floor and I had to carry the baby up and down the stairs a dozen times a day as he could not be left alone downstairs. The 'pool fence' was not a fence but a play pen that was used on one side. The baby actually leaned against it and the lot toppled into the pool with the baby on top! my nerves were shot. As the bedrooms were all separated my husband had to sleep in one room with our 4 year old daughter and the baby slept in the master with me. Not ideal holiday sleeping arrangements .... We had no hot water in the master suite for the first 2 days which was not an issue as the weather was hot and cool showers were fine, the dishwasher did not work and the technicians came out 3 times to fix, then I asked for a new dish cloth to wash the kids plasticware myself (housekeeping do the dishes) by the next day my new sponge was gone and an old sponge was back again under the sink, cannot understand why they would take this away? It had taken me 3 calls to housekeeping to get it, and then it disappeared, just annoying. There is a leak under the master bathroom vanity and my makeup bag got wet, was not overly impressed by this ... I called to speak to the resort manager about the accommodation, practically begging to be moved to anything smaller and more suitable for our family, each day for the first couple of days and no one got back to me, the resort was fully booked otherwise I am sure they would have moved us, with 2 nights to go we were offered another villa to move to. Had I being paying full price for this villa I would not have tolerated the accommodation for my family, I could not have. Having said all that, if I was travelling with 3 couples I would request this villa over others as all the bedroom suits are individual buildings!! It was solely the stairs with the baby that drove me mad

Housekeeping were excellent, the staff in general were superb, maybe a bit reactive and not proactive

We loved the food at the Karma Lounge and ate dinner here every night, the menu was excellent and the quality very good and reasonably priced. Good coffee, lovely cocktails, loved the kids menu, lots of healthy choices and the baby loved the veggie sticks and dips, we even had a take away container made up for the kids on the plane trip home

Charles the food and beverage manager is a credit to the resort, his menu and quality control are excellent. I did the cooking class and 'charming Charles' took myself and my friend to the market in the morning to select fresh fish and veg and checked out the fishing boats in Jimbaran Bay. Then chef Wayan gave us a cooking class in the villa which we had for lunch and we got a personalised cook book! definetley recommend : ) Recommend the bbq on Sat night, very enjoyable

We were travelling with friends and their villa was 'standard' and sensational so I would definetely return to Karma resort for a holiday

We were addicted to the sour dough bread from 'Grocer and Grind' at Jimbaran sq, lovely breakfasts and lunches

We took the kids to the beach each morning and it was calm and pleasant, the kids club was great, just lacking other kids!

I had a couple of treatments at the spa, the massage was one of the best I have had in Bali. I also had an 'oxygen facial' was not very impressed with the technician, she could not tell me what exactly she was doing and did not appear very experienced, the light bulb went out in the treatment room so I had half my treatment in the twilight!

Credit and thanks need to go to Wayan at reception who acted above and beyond the call of duty, we did not collect our laundry the night before we were due to leave and it was closed the next morning, Wayan called the owners and it was delivered out to our villa within the hour!!! Thanks : )

• Stayed August 2012, travelled with family
2 Thank SpiceandNectar
Karma_Kandara, General Manager at Karma Jimbaran, responded to this review, 11 September 2012
Dear SpiceandNectar, thank you for your review and respect your content and detail. I do agree with you about the villa mentioned and while it is a "castle" being set so high on the property, it is very unique in design and is our only villa like that. It is a very lovely villa as you have noted perfect for couples and while we have had many families stay in this villa before, I think you are right as it becomes relative to the ages with the impact this may have. I assure you if our team knew the ages of your children before your arrival, then we would have moved heaven and earth to allocate you accordingly. Many guests do make contact with us prior to arriving and we are here to assist in ensuring the arrival experience and expectation is met (if not exceeded) when we do know in advance. In our villas by style and design our pools do not have fixed fences, it is very open plan and Balinese. While we have never had an issue with the pool fences before, they are a temporary fixture being a "peace of mind" measure or a prevention rather than a cure but will ensure their strength is tested. Thank you for noting our housekeeping team, kids club, spa with food and beverage teams. While we do have a lovely villa product, it is our team that makes the experience what it is and across the board there is a lot of pride and belief in our teams which is half the battle won. I hope you can come back again soon and we will ensure you are placed in a villa like your friends had, that is low set and more easily accessible for families with very young children. Kind regards - Luke Harley
Turn Your Opinions into Points!
Turn your opinions into JPMiles
Turn your opinions into PAYBACK Points
*You can enroll in only one programme at a time to earn rewards for reviews.
JPMiles / Payback Arrow
JPMiles / PAYBACK

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (77)
  • Indonesian first
  • Korean first
Sydney, Australia
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 24 August 2012

Just finishing our stay in Karma Jimbaran. We chose Jimbaran because we wanted to stay outside of the hustle of Kuta and Jimbaran seemed like the perfect place. Jimbaran offers great restaurants, beaches and yet you are still able to commute across Bali from here if you like.

If you don't like huge hotels and won't to just relax in your own private villa then Karma Jimbaran is the prefect choice.

The hotel is situated across the road from the beach and the seafood grills that Jimbaran is famous for. You can also walk to other hotels if you would like to try something different.

We had a 3 bedroom villa complex with our own private plunge pool. I say a complex because it had its own separate quarters for eating, relaxing and sleeping. When we walked into the villa we actually thought we were sharing with other people, but this wasn't the case it was all ours for 7 nights.

I have to mention that the gardens at Karma Jimbaran are incredible and it is a credit to the staff who manage this. I don't believe I have ever noticed this before in a hotel.

The Karma spa is a great offering and we found the treatments to be perfect and not that expensive.

We ate a lot at the Karma Lounge which is the restaurant, the food was of really good quality and well presented, I found the pricing pretty reasonable considering the quality of this resort. The wine in Bali is really expensive compared to what we pay in Australia but this has nothing to do with the Karma Jimbaran.

If you are after just relaxing and not wanting to share a resort with heaps of people in Bali then the Karma Jimbaran is the perfect place. We work pretty hard at home and just wanted to chill out at our own private plunge pool and not have to worry about what was happening outside.

The management team lead by the General Manager Luke Harley makes a huge different and he made us feel at home from our initial contact, nothing was a problem.

Worth also mentioning that Karma own another resort called Karma Kandara which they have a free shuttle between resorts. Karma Kandara is beautiful but a lot busier, we really enjoyed the day there but were happy when we returned home to Karma Jimbaran.

Room Tip: Pretty quiet place all over resort.
  • Stayed August 2012, travelled as a couple
    • 4 of 5 bubbles
Karma_Kandara, General Manager at Karma Jimbaran, responded to this review, 29 August 2012
Dear Craig071, thank you for your positive posting about something we enjoy doing. The seafood grills are an outstanding experience so I am glad you enjoyed them with a great sunset, as is Karma Kandara which we are also proud of. The team across all areas are very proud and genuine, but I am glad you have identified the landscaping team as our grounds are very well maintained with a lot of pride and effort. They do not get recognised much from external guests and they do deserve to be, so I am very happy you pointed this out. Internally with 7 months now passed, 2 of our employees of the month have been from the landscaping team so assure you they are recognised by our hotel team. It is good looking after good people, so I certainly hope we have the chance of welcoming you back again for another great boutique experience in Jimbaran at Karma. Kind regards - Luke Harley
Singapore, null, Singapore
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 21 August 2012

This was my second family holiday with 2 kids - 1 and 4 years. Last year, I went to Banyan Tree Phuket and stayed in a villa. Wanted a similar experience in Bali, so I decided to try Karma Jimbaran. Every unit here is a villa with its own private pool. I booked a single room villa but was upgraded to a 3-room villa. The villa was lovely - had a nice, big kitchen and a decent sized pool. The only thing I didn't like was the fact that the master bedroom was upstairs. Too troublesome to climb up and down with kids, so we bunked in one of the guest room downstairs instead, and used upstairs for bath times as they had a big bath tub in the master bedroom. I later realised that all units had the master bedroom upstairs, so it wouldn't have made a difference even if I had gotten the one bedroom unit. The plus is I could bring my younger one to the spare room just across when she got up early in the morning :)

The food at the hotel was good. We had our breakfast there everyday and even though it wasn't a buffet, the food was healthy and appetising and portions were decent. They gave us complimentary breakfasts for my 2 kids, so we ordered more than enough for everyone to share. We had most of our dinners there as well, as we didn't want to travel at night with 2 kids in tow. The food was really good and decently priced.

We also visited the sister resort at Karma Kandara to enjoy the stunning view of the beach and have our lunch there.

Overall a wonderful stay with the kids. It's the kind of holiday you just want to R&R and take things easy!

• Stayed May 2012, travelled with family
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
    • 4 of 5 bubbles
Dear KarenC, thank you for your review and thank you for bringing the family to us. We are a great family location especially with the included kids club, large private villas with plunge pool. I certainly note your comments about the master bedroom upstairs and hope this did not impede too much on your experience with us. I am glad you enjoyed our Karma Lounge for breakfast and most dinners. It is a very good mixed offering, the team are wonderful and the price is absolutely right. We also now have entertainment 5 nights per week too, which we did not have in May. How stunning is Karma Kandara? a real gem and I am glad you visited this like any of our guests can. A beautiful product with Nammos private beach club named in the top 40 beach clubs in the world so why not use it, a guest of Karma Jimbaran is a guest of Karma Kandara!! I hope we have the opportunity of welcoming you all back again and if I can assist in making this happen, feel free to liaise with me directly. Thank you for your business and I am glad we could provide a positive Karma experience. Kind regards - Luke Harley
Melbourne, Australia
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 14 August 2012

This place is the perfect relaxation destination. With massive, well-appointed villas, lush private gardens and pools, you can't beat this place. We recently had our second stay here in as many years and weren't disappointed. A great affordable luxury holiday for Aussies. Both times we’ve stayed here, we booked and paid for a 1 bedroom villa and ended up getting 3 bedroom villa’s all to ourselves! The hotel restaurant is great too as is the in villa BBQ service and the day spa. We’ve stayed at several places across Bali and highly recommend Karma Jimbaran and Karma Kandara.

• Stayed September 2011, travelled as a couple
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
Karma_Kandara, General Manager at Karma Jimbaran, responded to this review, 21 August 2012
Dear Rob-McMelb, thank you very much for your belated review and making the effort. It is wonderful that you like so many others enjoyed not just our wonderful villas, but also the additional services that maximise the guest experience like the In Villa BBQ, our day spa and included transfers to our sister property Karma Kandara. Our team enjoy what we do which I believe shows and now you can also add live music 5 nights per week as well to ensure there is atmosphere in our restaurant. I do hope I and the team here have the chance to personally welcome you back over and over. If I can assist personally please feel free to liaise with me directly on gm@karmajimbaran.com Kind regards - Luke Harley
Bristol
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 7 August 2012

We stayed at Karma Jimbaran for our honeymoon in July. We arrived late in the evening, but were greeted by friendly staff and a nice welcome drink. The check-in process was smooth and quick and we were brought from reception to our very nice 3 bedroom villa by car. We were shown around the villa and they made sure we were happy with everything before they left us to it.

The breakfast was delicious, with a good choice of menu. The resort was fairly quiet and peaceful, which suited us fine. We treated ourselves to a spa treatment, which we fully recommend. There are various offers, e.g. buy one get one free. We also had access to a computer and printer in their library, which came in handy.

If you don't like bugs and insects, Karma Jimbaran is the place for you. We were provided with bug spray and mosquito coils, but they weren't really needed. The resort is clean and well tended too.

The resort is not directly on the beach, but it's just across the road. There are also a couple of good restaurants nearby and within walking distance (on the beach). We preferred to use the pool in our villa so not being right next to the beach wasn't a problem. We also recommend visiting the sister resort, Karma Kandara, a lovely location perfect for a romantic meal, with the added bonus of free transport provided.

Luke, the manager, is a credit. I'm sure he reads these reviews, and the personal touch is much appreciated, from introducing himself to providing us with a welcome bottle of bubbly. He also produced a couple of surprises during our in-villa bbq, which we highly recommend (we won't spoil the surprise for those of you thinking of doing the same!)

As a separate note/tip - don't be ripped off by taxi drivers when you arrive at the airport if you are seeking transport. Either arrange transport through Karma Jimbaran, or if you take a taxi don't pay more than $10(usd).

• Stayed July 2012, travelled as a couple
1 Thank TheHosk
Karma_Kandara, General Manager at Karma Jimbaran, responded to this review, 9 August 2012
Dear TheHosk, thank you for celebrating your honeymoon with us and I am glad we exceeded all your expectations as a team. Our villas are beautiful and spacious, a perfect location to celebrate a honeymoon or also versatile enough for couples or families travelling together due to their size and privacy. I am very happy you experienced everything on offer from our own services here, the local beach across the road and the private beach club Nammos at our sister property with transfers provided as a guest of Karma Jimbaran is a guest of Karma Kandara. The team here do it because we enjoy it and that reflects across the board in all areas, not one person or department in particular. Desire and intent goes along way and the team here demonstrate that in spades, far from perfect but the belief is wonderful to see. I am glad the mozzies and other bugs also left you alone as they do exist given the climate and environment of Bali, it would be remiss of may to say they don't but we do all we can to minimise their existence. I look forward to welcoming you both back one day and providing you a few more special treats for an anniversary. Kind regards - Luke Harley