“First stop on our honeymoon.” 3 of 5 bubbles
Review of Kupu Kupu Jimbaran & Bamboo Spa by L'Occitane

Kupu Kupu Jimbaran & Bamboo Spa by L'Occitane
Ranked #11 of 55 Hotels in Jimbaran
United Kingdom
“First stop on our honeymoon.”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 18 April 2012

We enjoyed our stay at the hotel. The staff were very friendly and helpful. The beach club is great and the food is very good there. We had a romantic dinner for 2, which was lots of fun. Although the hotel is part of a mall, the shops are very stylish and not extremely busy. The free afternoon tea is a nice touch.

It does seem as though they are having some teething problems. We ordered a meal from the room service menu, after being asked twice what our orders were, the waiter came to our room to take a look at the menu. He later returned explaining nothing on the room service menu was available as they weren't prepared for it? But we could order from the restaurant and they would deliver it. That was disappointing.

There's a free shuttle to Kuta, which is great as Jimbaran is a little quiet. But there isn't a return shuttle, which is a little strange.

• Stayed March 2012, travelled as a couple
1 Thank MrMrsBray
KKB_Management, Manager at Kupu Kupu Jimbaran & Bamboo Spa by L'Occitane, responded to this review, 19 April 2012
Dear MrMrsBray,

Thank you very much for your stay with us and for your comments! Everyone in the hotel will be happy to read that you enjoyed the first days of your honeymoon trip with us.

I must apologize for the incident regarding the room service menu. If I am not mistaken, it happened on the same day we released an improved version of our menu, on April 1st, 2012. As this was a Sunday, some of our suppliers were not able to deliver some of the new items, and we finally decided to implement the menu on April 2nd only. I must be blamed for this issue as I failed to coordinate my teams and I am sorry for the disappointment.

If you have any more questions or remarks, always feel free to email me.

We hope to see you again soon in Bali,

Best regards,

Thibaud
(thibaud at kupubarong dot com)
Turn Your Opinions into Points!
Turn your opinions into JPMiles
Turn your opinions into PAYBACK Points
*You can enroll in only one programme at a time to earn rewards for reviews.
JPMiles / Payback Arrow
JPMiles / PAYBACK

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (58)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Indonesian first
  • Korean first
Singapore
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 8 April 2012

It was a disaster! No one told us it's inside a tacky shopping center.

1. Avoid Jimbaran, to start with - the worst beach ever with oily BBQ seafood stalls on the beach.
2. Really bad location for this resort (it'd be a joke to call Kupu Kupu a resort) - center of a busy junction with potholes and lots of traffic. It's a commercial building! DO NOT get fooled by the pictures! The swimming pool is at the rooftop of a shopping center.
3. No privacy - rooms on pool level have no privacy at all - you have to keep your curtains on all the time. If you are at the pool you would see the house keeping trolley throughout the day.
4. Bad design - weird layout!!! Bed is directly facing the pool. Open plan for bathtub next to bed. Bad taste for interior design. A confused mix of stone, glass, metal, wood, silk, batik - loud and tasteless!
5. Poorly managed - sloppy staff, broken tiles, flies all over, some smelly shoes at the corridor left by workers.
We booked Wuluwatu suite but given Muaya upon arrival - the reason was given to us - as we booked a 'lower category' room they have kindly upgraded us to a room next to pump room at the end of swimming pool. After a while, with much stress, we have managed to get our own room!
We have asked for a king size bed but we were told there's no king size bed in the entire resort - only two twin beds put together are available called hollywood beds and that's how their Japanese guests like! (though it publicized on their website till date)
6. Do not be tempted by the L'occitane amenities i.e. only some basic shampoo and shower cream.

Avoid this place like plague - it'd be a disappointment for sure to anyone with good sense of aesthetic or anyone wanted a relaxed beach holiday!

• Stayed December 2011, travelled as a couple
11 Thank samyadeb
KKB_Management, Manager at Kupu Kupu Jimbaran & Bamboo Spa by L'Occitane, responded to this review, 13 April 2012
Dear Mr SamyaDeb,

I am very sorry that your holiday in Jimbaran proved to be so negative and I regret that you did not ask to see me to discuss about the issues you encountered.

I talk to guests all day in the hotel and I find them always smiling, relaxed and happy with our services and features. I wish we could have given you the same feeling and I apologize for any of our shortcomings that may have occured.

For this reason, please let me answer the points you mentioned in your comment one by one:

1) I don't think that the Jimbaran Beach is the worst beach ever. It is actually considered as one of the prettiest and most authentic in South Bali, described in the Lonely Planet Guide as a "superb crescent of white sand and blue sea" (page 127, 11th Edition, 2007).

2) Our location is convenient for anyone who does not expect a beach resort since our beach club is 5 minutes away by buggy. As you mention, we are at the intersection of two important roads in South Bali, and therefore it is easy to go anywhere from our hotel. We are also located only 15 minutes from the airport and just in-between Kuta, Nusa Dua and Uluwatu.

We are not called Kupu Kupu Resort, but Kupu Kupu Rooftop Suites & Spa because all the rooms of the hotel, as well as the swimming pool, are located on the rooftop of the Jimbaran Corner. The Jimbaran Corner is a small shopping center with 4 restaurants (Chocolate Café, Grocer & Grind, Topeng, Oishi Tei), a few high-end boutiques (Jewellery, Fashion, Books, Wine, etc...), and the spa Bamboo by L'Occitane. Our guests find it very convenient when they compare us with our competitors who are located in more isolated venues in Jimbaran. It is also very easy to get a taxi, walk to the beach, etc... Last but not least, we have a 24-hour clinic and a minimarket 100 meters from the hotel.

3) The Muaya Duplex rooms are located just outside the swimming pool, with floor-to-ceiling glass windows. During the day, it is normally difficult to see inside the rooms from outside as the glass is treated with a V-Kool coating which provides glare reduction. At night, it is true that for those who want privacy, it is better to close the curtains. I apologize for this problem, which does not exist in the Uluwatu rooms. If you read other comments on TripAdvisor, you will see that many of our guests love to be so close from the swimming pool and recommend to stay in the Muaya Duplex. I also remind you that the Duplex rooms have two floors, and the second floor does not have direct access from outside.

4) We receive many praises regarding our design, deemed by many as unique when comparing with standard hotel rooms. I don't believe it is confused or tasteless, but I certainly respect your opinion as well.

5) Thank your for your advices to the management, and please accept my apologies for all the issues you mention:
- As a manager, I am very happy with the work, attitude and dedication of all our employees. I am therefore very sad to read in your comment that they are "sloppy".
- When our technicians enter a room for maintenance, they always remove their shoes. I am sorry if this was a disturbance.
- The broken tiles you mention are not broken actually, they were installed to cover the evacuation of rain and they can be removed at anytime in order to facilitate cleaning by our staff. I will ask our gardeners to make this area look more nice.

We had upgraded you upon arrival indeed, and I am sorry we didn't inform you beforehand. You arrived on New Year's Eve and the hotel was full on that day. For this reason, it took our staff some time to relocate you to your previous Uluwatu suite, and we were unfortunately not able to provide you with a traditional Double bed. Instead, we gave you 2 Hollywood Twin Bed, which can be assembled together. I am deeply sorry for this inconvenience.

6) We provide the following amenities from L'Occitane: Shower Cream, Body Lotion, Conditioner, and Shampoo.

I invite you to come again to Jimbaran, maybe with a different mindset, and I am convinced that you will change opinion about Kupu Kupu. Please contact me thibaud at kupubarong dot com if you have anymore enquiries.

Thank you for you review and for staying with us, we hope to see you again soon,

Best regards,

jakarta,indonesia
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 2 April 2012

really like the atmosphere of the complex. so convenient to have the 4 different restaurant from Japanese to Grocer and Grind, plus all the cute little shops to browse. the breakfast was ok, true that not fresh orange juice and pineapple but other food is ok. service in all restaurants were very good.
the room with L'ocitane products was good, the pool infront of the room is great.
service in the reception must be upgraded, faster check in and the reception are should smell good. we check out at 4am and the reception smelt not really nice. the receptionist also forgot our breakfast box that been prepared, he called me and said because i was so in rush, so he forgot too. nice.
but for sure, we will be back and hope certain things are getting better.

Room Tip: choose the one that in front of the pool (if you don't mind a bit of noise from time to time) an...
  • Stayed April 2012, travelled with family
1 Thank Arleta D
KKB_Management, Manager at Kupu Kupu Jimbaran & Bamboo Spa by L'Occitane, responded to this review, 6 April 2012
Dear Arleta,

Thank you for your encouraging review about Kupu Kupu Jimbaran! We were very happy to read your positive comments and we promise to work hard to resolve the shortcomings you experienced.

Regarding the reception, I am sorry that you felt the smell was not nice and I've asked our housekeeping to be more alert. They will also diffuse aromatherapy in the area to improve the comfort of our guests.

Regarding the breakfast box, I apologize about the incident. Our staff did not handle your check out properly and we will provide him with more training. Also, we just recruited a new Front Office Manager and I am confident the efficiency of our reception will improve now.

In Chocolate Café, it is true that the orange juice is not squeezed to order, we use fresh juice delivered to us every morning. For the rest of the breakfast: The bread, the yoghurt, the jam, the pastries: Everything is home-made.

We would all be excited to welcome you again in the future, hopefully with improved service. Let me know if you have any more questions or comments: thibaud at kupubarong dot com.

Jakarta, Indonesia
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 26 February 2012

if i was not assist by my friend, i am sure cannot find where is the Kupu Kupu Jimbaran entrance. for 5* hotel, the entrance was similar with other shops. Greeting by the manager and being show with surround area, was the best service that they gave.. The room was big, bathtub was good, only the shower area was see through. Good for honeymooners, but for family will be a problem ( for the shower ). The Amenities all by L'occitane, and also the Bamboo Spa by L'occitane. Breakfast was just ok... but they dont have any beach, must walk around 15 minutes or 5 minutes with buggy ( delivered by the hotel ). After all, the hotel was ok.

• Stayed December 2011, travelled on business
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
2 Thank InlyF
KKB_Management, Manager at Kupu Kupu Jimbaran & Bamboo Spa by L'Occitane, responded to this review, 8 March 2012
Dear Inlycampbell,

Thank you for your review of Kupu Kupu Jimbaran, we always appreciate reading about our guests' experience to help us improve our standards.

I regret that you are comparing us with other 5-star resorts because as a boutique hotel, our identity and our philosophy are poles apart.

In that sense, we do our best to provide our guests with a unique experience, by focusing on personalized service, quality amenities & features, and distinctive design. Naturally, considering our small size (28 rooms), we have less facilities and equipment than much bigger hotels, and yes, our lobby is rather small. I apologize if this was an inconvenience.

Regarding the rooms, we have 7 different kinds of rooms, each suitable to different guests' needs: Families, group of friends, couples, etc... We always try to accommodate our guests in the best possible way when possible. If you come back to Kupu Kupu, please do not hesitate to contact me directly (thibaud at kupubarong dot com) and inform me about your preferences.

We have a private beach club which is 3 minutes away from the hotel by buggy. Walking distance, it is less than 10 minutes. In the price range of Kupu Kupu, I believe we are among the very few to have such beach club facilities in Jimbaran.

Again, thank for your stay with us, and we hope to see you again soon in the near future.

Toronto, Canada
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 4 February 2012

I think this hotel has great potentials with the design, decor, rooms, and spa. But I feel like they just missed the mark on location. While the surrounding hotels in Jimbaran has the beach access, this hotel does not. Other than that, its a nice and tiny boutique hotel with great service, excellent spa, and traditional rooms.

• Stayed March 2011, travelled as a couple
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
1 Thank Cindy A
KKB_Management, Manager at Kupu Kupu Jimbaran & Bamboo Spa by L'Occitane, responded to this review, 11 February 2012
Dear Cindy A,

Thank you for your positive comment and your encouragements!

It is true that we are not located right on the beach. Instead, we provide our guests with a 3-min buggy ride to our private beach club all day long. It also means we do twice as many efforts to offer great service and comfort to everyone!

I hope it will not deter you to stay with us in the future as we look forward to welcoming you again soon.