“Overpriced for an average hotel with inferior customer service” 3 of 5 bubbles
Review of Kupu Kupu Jimbaran & Bamboo Spa by L'Occitane

Kupu Kupu Jimbaran & Bamboo Spa by L'Occitane
Ranked #11 of 55 Hotels in Jimbaran
London, United Kingdom
“Overpriced for an average hotel with inferior customer service”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 20 January 2012

We stayed in Kupu Kupu Jimbaran Bay for 3 days in late July 2011 and were very disappointed with several aspects of the hotel and the service. The only thing 5 star about the hotel was the price!

To set the scene, we had travelled around Indonesia for about 10 days before getting to Kupu Kupu - we had stayed at 5 stars throughout our trip through Jakarta, Bandung and Yogyakarta in Java and a fantastic boutique hotel (definitely 5*) in Ubud in Bali. Kupu Kupu failed to live up to 5* standards for the following reasons:

1. The hotel did not look or feel like a 5* on arrival - it is located on a busy road and is surrounded by shops. The sound proofing is not great so you can hear traffic on the road in the hotel cafe (and sometimes the rooms). The rooms of the hotel are located above the shops. The lobby is small and minimalist in dark wood and had the feel of a corporate lobby. To get to the rooms, one has to take a lift which is rather small and not befitting a 5* property. The impression you get is that they have somehow crammed a hotel between and above high street shops. On the plus side, the beach is not too far away - about a 15 minute walk but the walk is not that great especially at night as it is very dark and there were concerns about being run over by motorists.

2. The customer service (in the restaurant/cafe) really lets the hotel down. We went down to breakfast expecting a buffet (as seems to have been the trend with all the other hotels we had stayed in) but noticed this not to be the case. All fine. We looked at the a la carte menu and saw a selection of different breakfasts - "continental", "the American" (it might even have been "the big American"), etc. We both opted for the American which was meant to include the following items: bacon, sausage, two eggs to your order, grilled tomato, mushrooms in a cream sauce, glass of juice, tea or coffee and a fruit salad. We asked if the American included toast and were informed that it didn't - you could only get toast and croissants if you got the continental. We were both a little surprised at this as it is pretty normal to get toast (or some form of carb) with a cooked breakfast (even in a greasy spoon cafe). The waitress was not helpful at all - it was a very much "computer says no" approach. Then the fun really began and we started bartering. I asked if I could have some toast instead of the mushrooms and my friend said she'd foresake the fruit salad for some toast and a croissant. I have never in my life bartered for food in this way before - in particular NEVER AT A PURPORTED 5*!!! That is not the end of the story... so, they bring the following to our table:

- a basket of tiny COLD toast (no croissant);
- tea (without milk);
- plates containing eggs, two of the smallest rashers of streaky bacon I have seen, half a grilled tomato (my friend had a teaspoon of mushrooms in a creamy sauce on her plate, but I had foregone this delight) - notice the lack of a sausage;
- small glasses of juice (probably around 150 ml each) - is that even enough for one of your five a day???

It is fair to say you could probably get the food on to a side plate. Other than the cold toast, the quality of the food was very good - it was just that, in terms of portion sizes, they thought they were catering to smurfs.

We didn't want to be difficult but thought that cold tiny toast was not acceptable so asked for a replacement basket and asked is we could have more than just 2 small triangles of toast each (I am not joking when I said that the toast was half the size of your normal half a slice of toast in the UK). To their credit they did get a replacement basket of warmer toast (still no croissant though). We finished our tea. It seems my fruit salad was completely forgotten (or maybe they thought I had sacrificed that for the hot toast?!) but the waitress brought it to me begrudgingly after I reminded her. My friend made the mistake of asking about the croissant. The waitress looked at her as if she had said something offensive - and said, "no you had toast, so no croissant". We were made to feel humiliated - now I knew what Oliver Twist felt like when asked "more? You want more?!" - but we were just so shocked at the entire episode (it was also quite funny). My friend then replied, ok, that's fine but we'll be speaking to management about this. A few minutes later a couple of mini croissants were brought to the table. No service with a smile.... considering what we paid for the rooms (which included breakfast) this behaviour was quite shocking, and did not make one feel very welcomed.

The on-duty manager was very friendly and seemed genuinely to take on board our comments, and re-assured us that this would not happen again. They were in the process of changing the menu.

The next morning we went for breakfast and were taken into the much more peaceful garden area of the cafe at the back. Why all guests are not seated there in the first place is a bit bizarre but never mind. Service was much better - we even had decent portions of fruit juice.

Do not expect much of the complimentary "Afternoon Tea". The cakes/desserts themselves are of a very high standard - again, it's a question of portions and customer service rather than the quality of the food. Afternoon tea included tea and a third of 3 different cakes/desserts (i.e., making up a whole slice). We weren't given a choice about the selection and ended up swapping a couple of the desserts as my friend doesn't like mango. Considering the pastries and desserts are all displayed in the counters in the cafe, it seemed a bit silly not to be offered a choice. What if someone had a nut allergy?

3. The swimming pool is quite small. It is located on the rooftop on decking and is surrounded by other hotel rooms - fine if you're staying those rooms, I suppose, but it does not offer much privacy to people staying in those rooms or to pool users.

Some of the above are (or should be) easily rectifiable, for example, the staff who are working in the hospitality industry could be much more hospitable! I understand that there may be some communication difficulties (most of the staff did not speak or understand English - I know, it is a little presumptive to expect / hope that 5* hotel staff in foreign countries speak some English, but it would be a nice touch). We did not use the L'Occitane Spa next to the hotel as found the prices to be exactly what you'd pay in the UK/NYC.

All in all, a disappointing stay but not terrible.

• Stayed July 2011, travelled with friends
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
KKB_Management, Manager at Kupu Kupu Jimbaran & Bamboo Spa by L'Occitane, responded to this review, 25 January 2012
Dear Kavita B.,

First, I would like to apologize on behalf of the management because we didn't meet your expectations during your stay in Kupu Kupu Jimbaran. I would also like to thank you for taking the time to write a review about our hotel, and therefore helping us improve our services.

We listen very carefully to any comments and each of them is followed with actions when necessary.

In your case, since you stayed in our hotel in July 2011, I am glad to tell you that many of the issues you mentioned have been addressed.

The breakfast has been improved, as I wrote a few weeks ago to Sukrita, who was travelling with you and who had posted a similar comment on tripadvisor: We now have 5 different menus to choose from, including a special healthy menu available on our beach club.

We are serving generous portions of each items and most of them are homemade (the bread, the croissant, the yogurt, the jam, etc.).

It is important to mention that we do not consider ourselves as a five-star hotel complex, but rather as a luxury boutique hotel. For this reason, we have a rather small lobby, a small elevator, and a small swimming pool. None of these gets too crowded however since we have a limited number of rooms (28).

I am surprised to read that most of our staff do not speak English because I use English every day with all our employees without any problems (I am French). This includes our housekeeping staff and technicians.

The Jimbaran beach is 3 minutes away from the hotel with our buggy (free). Walking distance, it is less than 10 minutes.

I am really confident that we could make you change your mind about Kupu Kupu Jimbaran if you stayed with us again. You visited the hotel a few months hotel after opening and the property is now very different from what you and your partner described on your two comments on tripadvisor.

Please, do not hesitate to contact me directly if you have any questions. My email is thibaud at kupubarong dot com.

Thibaud
Turn Your Opinions into Points!
Turn your opinions into JPMiles
Turn your opinions into PAYBACK Points
*You can enroll in only one programme at a time to earn rewards for reviews.
JPMiles / Payback Arrow
JPMiles / PAYBACK

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (58)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Indonesian first
  • Korean first
Hong Kong, China
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 12 January 2012

The first time I saw kupu kupu's picture, I know this is the place I'd like to stay. Got good deal at the hotel website and a free upgrade to the Duplex Suite when we arrived on 8 Jan. The lobby is very elegant and the welcome drink is nice. Very friendly staff and work very efficiently. It was raining all the time when we was there. So we did not use the pool or the beach club facilities (only went there to have a look at of the Jimbaran Beach without sunset and enjoyed the free drink). Luckily, we can stay inside. It was not boring at all. There are two TVs, a few magazines, welcome fruits, cozy bed and nice pool view. Breakfast is of good quality and quantity. We also received complementary daily afternoon tea!

Plus point is that they also have shuttle to Kuta! We've already know the buggy can take us to Jimbaran beach at almost at time. But upon check in, we were told that there are two shuttles to Kuta each day.

The spa was amazing!

• Stayed January 2012, travelled as a couple
2 Thank DongYan
KKB_Management, Manager at Kupu Kupu Jimbaran & Bamboo Spa by L'Occitane, responded to this review, 26 January 2012
Hello Dong Yan,

Thank you very much for your positive comment, it was a great pleasure for all Kupu Kupu staff to have you among us in the hotel for a few days. It is too bad you could not enjoy the beach facilities and the swimming pool because of the rain though. Hopefully we will see you again very soon, probably with more sun!

Singapore, Singapore
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 10 January 2012

We stayed here in July '11 and went expecting a super luxury hotel as it was the most expensive hotel we had booked on our Indonesia trip. The general decor is very wooden and I found quite pretentious, the lobby looks like a corporate office rather than a luxury hotel. The rooms were also similar, they are large and have all amenities and meet 5 star standards but just arent beautiful or inviting. There is only 1 pool which although looks stunning in the pictures, is small and inconvenient in reality.

The breakfast is the worst thing about the hotel. Whilst the quality of the food is excellent, the portions are tiny and they do not understand the concept of generous service. The first day the waitress was shocked when we asked for more toast and croissants even though we had ordered the American breakfast. She started bargaining with us that we would have to forgo our fruit for more bread.....we were absolutely aghast that a 200 pounds a night hotel could do something like this. We raised it with the manager immediately after our meal, who to his credit was very polite and apologetic and the next 2 days, they were more generous with breakfast, but it still didnt meet the standards of the breakfast buffets we had had at the Sheratons in Java and the Mansion hotel in Ubud. They should have a lavish breakfast buffet at those room prices!!

Location is good, short walk to the beach. Staff attitude is generally friendly and helpful. The hotel is clean and well kept and there are a few nice shops near the restaurant. But it needs to up its standards and food service to really be value for money. In my experience it didnt justify its price!!

• Stayed July 2011, travelled with friends
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
KKB_Management, Manager at Kupu Kupu Jimbaran & Bamboo Spa by L'Occitane, responded to this review, 11 January 2012
Dear Sukrita,

Thank you very much for your review of Kupu Kupu Jimbaran! As I read your review, I believe you enjoyed many of our features: "good location" "friendly and helpul staff" "clean hotel" "excellent food".

Concerning the disappointing parts, I would like to point out that you stayed in the hotel in July 2011, and reviewed it in January 2012. Since then, we have made several improvements, and particularly regarding the breakfast.

Guests in Kupu Kupu Jimbaran now have 5 choices of breakfast (Continental, American, Indonesian, Japanese + a healthy menu available in our private beach club only). The American Breakfast now consists of the following:
- Assorted Bread Basket with Butter and Jam
- Two Eggs Cooked to Your Liking: Poached, Boiled, Fried, Scrambled, Omelette
- Fresh Fruits Platter
- Plain, Strawberry or Pineapple Yogurt
- One Fruit Juice
- Selection of Tea, Coffee or Milk

We have very positive feedback about it and we hope you will have the occasion to try it if you come again to Bali.

If you have any more questions or remarks, I would be very happy to answer them (thibaud at kupubarong dot com).

Regards,

Brisbane, Australia
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 28 November 2011

Wasn't sure what to expect as had read a few reviews abut bad building work etc.
yes, you can see a few areas that definitely need fixing but nothing that would really impact on your stay. If you have problems with stairs may not be a good choice as living area downstairs and bedroom upstairs.The bed was canopied and so comfortable.also lots of space to put your things and balcony to relax on.
I liked the fact it was in shopping complex. Good selection of shops and eating areas. Grocer and Grind was a great place to get a decent coffee and really well priced.
The spa was one of the most beautiful i have ever been to and lovely loccitane treatments.
Service at hotel was great. Staff were always happy to help with requests and i felt really trying to get this new hotel up and running.I couldn't find a money changer or atm so staff called money changer to come to hotel. little things like that really appreciated.
Fresh flower arrangements in room nice touch. Didn't like shower gels etc in glass bottles. Very hard to get out of. Locccitane but would have preferred small plastic containers for shampoo etc.Beach club was good. You can catch hotel buggy. Takes about 3 mins and either eat at hotel beach club or walk down to Jimbaran beach and eat at many seafood places on beach. Was given voucher for complimentary sunset drink at beach club and also complimentary afternoon tea at chocolate club which is part of hotel.
Swimming pool is narrow but long and great for doing laps. Overall had a great stay and would recommend, particularly as a hotel to stay a few nights before flight home.

• Stayed October 2011, travelled solo
1 Thank paigeleaf
KKB_Management, Gérant at Kupu Kupu Jimbaran & Bamboo Spa by L'Occitane, responded to this review, 29 November 2011
Dear Pageleaf,

Thank you very much for taking the time to write such a detailed account of your stay in Kupu-Kupu Jimbaran. It is through our guests' comments that we improve our standards and the level of service we provide.

Regarding the L'Occitane bathroom amenities, a few other guests have mentioned that it was not convenient to have them in glass bottles. Others find them creative, and they love having the opportunity to try products from L'Occitane. I've just asked our Housekeeping Manager to provide me with a list of alternatives, and we will change the recipients if we find something suitable for the majority.

The works on the hotel are finished as of today. As in every hotel, there may be some routine maintenance or minor repairs and improvements. If so, we always make sure that it does not interfere with the tranquility of the hotel.

You mention that we have stairs in our rooms and that it might be a problem. Actually, we have different types of rooms, and some do not have stairs (Uluwatu, Balangan and Jimbaran rooms). If you visit us again, please contact us before so we can make sure you stay in one of these.

I was also delighted to hear your positive comments about our staff, our location, and the comfort of our rooms.

We are looking forward to welcoming you back at our hotel in the near future.

Kind regards from Jimbaran,

The Management
Seattle, Washington
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 21 November 2011

We spent 3 nights at Kupu Kupu Jimbaran and everything was wonderful. The staff was extremely accommodating and except for a few wi-fi issues, this hotel exceeded our expectations. It is an easy walk to the beach for great barbecued fish and some sun and fun. We had some other friends staying here and they said the L'Occitaine spa in the hotel was fantastic.

• Stayed November 2011
1 Thank WWDWD
KKB_Management, Manager at Kupu Kupu Jimbaran & Bamboo Spa by L'Occitane, responded to this review, 28 September 2013
Dear WWDWD,

Thank you very much for your review of Kupu Kupu Jimbaran! We are all really happy that you enjoyed your stay with us.

Since you posted your comment, we have improved our WIFI connection (and we will actually improve it again at the end of the year). I believe our conditions are much better now.

We hope to see you again soon in Jimbaran,