“Basic with no charm, close to the surf”

and 1 more site!
Balangan Sea View Bungalow
Ranked #32 of 107 Speciality Lodging in Jimbaran
Zurich, Switzerland
“Basic with no charm, close to the surf”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 5 May 2012

Stayed there because another booking screwed up. It's a simply guesthouse and you get a room according to the price. Lots of surfers stay there. I stayed at the newer building and not in a bungalow. Bed was ok. Shower with cold water and no curtain between toilette and shower, as usual in such guesthouses. It was clean but had no charm Food was ok but not special. You can easily walk down to the surf beach which is in my opinion not really nice for swimming, there are lots of local cafe's. Only one younger person of the staff was relatively friendly. The transport they sell there is overpriced.

I had in general the impression, that prices raised in Bali. For 400'000.- IDR you are not getting a good value anymore in any tourist areas. Or you have really to search for. I met as well lots of locals who were not that friendly as you are always told about Bali.

• Stayed May 2012, travelled solo
1 Thank hoteldiary
Turn Your Opinions into Points!
Turn your opinions into JPMiles
Turn your opinions into PAYBACK Points
*You can enroll in only one programme at a time to earn rewards for reviews.
JPMiles / Payback Arrow
JPMiles / PAYBACK

Business
Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (33)
  • Czech first
  • Indonesian first
  • Polish first
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 4 May 2012

We had a good time staying at Balangan Beach but did find it a bit far from everything when we only had a scooter to get around on. Rooms were quite nice, combined shower and toilet was a bit strange though. No hot water either which my partner wasn't too keen on. Rooms have a little bar fridge and lockable cupboard. Bit of a walk through a paddock and down stairs to the beach, but it is lovely and had some good waves during our stay. Restaurant was nice but no free breakfast so our bill added up quickly. Best dinner we had was down the road at the la Joya restaurant. I felt Balangan bungalows were a little overpriced considerin the facilities and location and I think I'd stay at uluwatu next time.

• Stayed April 2012
1 Thank Kel146
port macqurie,australia
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 1 May 2012

We moved to Sea View for one night after checking out of Flowerbud (for reasons why, please refer to my review of Flowerbud).
As per the last reviewer, it's not the prettiest of buildings however it was A: clean, B: enclosed, C: big (in room AND bed size) and D: it had a nice dining area with a pool table to entertain us while it poured down rain.
We found the staff to be accommodating and the food good and cheap.
We probably wouldn't stay any more than 2 nights however it was a good 'port in a storm'.

• Stayed March 2012, travelled as a couple
Kent
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 17 April 2012

Prior to our trip, I was debating over Flower Bud and Sea View Bungalow. With all the positive reviews favoring Flower Bud, i went with them. On arrival, Flower Bud was a huge let down, there was nothing to praise for, the accommodation was inadequate, dirty and provided zero comfort ! (for more information see my Flower Bud review). There was no way for my husband and 2 kids to spend the night there. We are not fussy, but this was way off our limit. We left and went across to Sea View Bungalow.
"....We saw the ugliest building ever built in Bali and some big grey square concrete or brick structures with absolutely no taste or anything Balinese to it. Unfortunately, this is where we ended up staying, since all their new rooms were in that building....." We didn't even bother to ask for a bungalow at this point after seeing the Flower Bud, i knew we should just go straight to the new block, get a (basic but) clean room with an air con - at this point, i knew the heat and humidity and the general LACK OF COMFORT in the Balangan area. So we ended up in the concrete block which has absolutely no charm whatsoever, but provided a clean bed and cold water shower. BREAKFAST : not included, really not a warm gesture. I wouldn't paying a little bit more on the room rate and have breakfast included, that would make me feel more hospitable (bad management). FOOD : An upside, the food was not bad though, we had dinner there and found the food tasty, reasonably priced and the cook is flexible in menu, you can request her to prepare to your liking. STAFF : laid back and somehow rude (or is it what they learnt from the foreigners), nevertheless you do get what you ask for eventually, but this is no Thai hospitality. POOL : too small to its room ratio, because they added the new block. LOCATION : Great ocean view with natural setting on a plateau that leads onto the cliff overlooking Balangan Beach. That's probably the only reason to be here. But for a more stunning ocean view and location and better comfort, I will pay more and head to Bingin !

Room Tip: If you are booking a room from the new block, ask for 1A,it is on the side and has good open view...
  • Stayed April 2012, travelled with family
Haleiwa, Hawaii
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 30 March 2012

Ok I will admit I am also partly one, however it feels weird to come all the way to Indonesia to hear Parisians talking next to you as if you were in the French Riviera. When I arrived at Balangan, initially to go to Flowerbud next door, I saw the ugliest building ever built in Bali, or so I thought. They have a few more close to Uluwatu. Some big grey square concrete or brick structures with absolutely no taste or anything Balinese to it. Unfortunately, this is where we ended up staying, since all their new rooms were in that building. The bungalows were already booked. We soon realize they had forgotten to supply us with towels and toilet paper. The service seemed already suspect before that. When I decided to book a room for the night, the reception lady shouted at me "can't you see I'm busy sir!".... Then when I finally spoke to her and asked her to show me the room one more time ( we had come earlier but looked around in the meantime), she yelled again: "You saw the room already sir!!"... I already had my dose of poor service and unprofessional-ism for the day ( see my flowerbud review) so I didn't want to raise my voice in return. I just said, "sorry but I saw so many rooms today I can't remember". Now the pool area: It's too crammed. The bungalows are overlooking the pools, the restaurant as well, and you feel as if everyone is watching everyone else, a feeling I didn't get in any other place I stayed at in Bali. Could it be because I was surrounded by frenchies, or was it the fact they didn't feel comfortable in or by the pool either? The upside is, the rooms are not expensive (300,000 roopia) but breakfast is not included. As for the food it's better than at Flowerbud, but nothing out of the ordinary.

The beach area now looks like the old Dreamland. All the warungs have moved to Balangan. Now Balangan feels like what Dreamland used to be. Unfortunately the lack of sewage system means a lot of that used and dirty water gets thrown in the ocean, and all the plastic trashes are burned next to the beach, with the toxic fume for breakfast. The upside is, for a surfer, Balangan gets great quality waves and as long as the plastic trashes from Java (The Balinese blame Java but who knows where it comes from?) are not floating around in the lineup, it's still a great place to be.

• Stayed March 2012, travelled as a couple
Also consider these accommodations in or near Jimbaran
0.6 km away
0.3 km away
Le Yanandra
Le Yanandra
#4 of 84 in Jimbaran

Been to Balangan Sea View Bungalow? Share your experiences!

Turn Your Opinions into Points!
Turn your opinions into JPMiles
Turn your opinions into PAYBACK Points
*You can enroll in only one programme at a time to earn rewards for reviews.
JPMiles / PAYBACK