“Great river views”

Ganpati Guest House
Ranked #2 of 80 Hotels in Varanasi
Reviewed 30 April 2012

I paid a bit more than normal for a Ganges view and am glad I did. My room had two floor to ceiling screened windows which allowed for some shaded relaxing during the heat of the day. Rooftop restaurant was good for breakfast but there are much better authentic Indian options in the area for lunch and dinner. Service was extremely slow as well, patience is a virtue here. The rest of the staff were informative and helpful when prompted, but I could never tell if they were unfriendly or if this was just how they were. Nothing bad really, just never really got to know them like in other hotels in India. I recommend arranging your boat trips through the hotel as it actually is the market price and my boat guy was excellent. A bit on the pricey side but you are paying for the location which is prime.

• Stayed: April 2012, travelled solo
Turn Your Opinions into Points!
Turn your opinions into JPMiles
Turn your opinions into PAYBACK Points
*You can enroll in only one programme at a time to earn rewards for reviews.

Reviewed 30 April 2012

The hotel was a gem. I will always remember my short stay there, as it was a magical one.
We had to swap rooms. We originally had a room with a shared balcony, the room on the end. It was a gorgeous room. It made a change to stay in a room that actually looked indian, instead of cold marble floors. The other room we stayed in had a private balcony. It too was a fabulous room. The staff were helpful,and the restaurnt on the top of the hotel was superb. Every morning we got up to watch the sun rise over the ganges as we drank chai. It was superb.
I would thoroughly recommend staying here to anyway.
Yes, the showers take a while to warm up, and you have to fill the toilet tank yourself by a tap on the side after every flush. But it's India. I have some precious memories. Thank you Ganpati Guest House.

Room Tip: the rooms that have the shared balcony are nicer than the private balcony ones. They catch more sun...
  • Stayed: February 2012, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 29 April 2012

Very nice little rooms (mine had a own balcony and Ganges view) and a rooftop restaurant that serves the best pancakes in the morning ;-) nice staff, very helpful. You can book tickets for buses and trains at the reception.

Room Tip: Ask for room Nr. 1 - has a own balcony and Ganges view but small. Rooms in the first and second floo...
Reviewed 27 April 2012

I found Ganpati to be really well-run and a definite notch above most of the skanky-looking places along the River Ganges. The guidebooks don't really convey how much nicer it is than some of its competitors, though I suspect is is also very over-subscribed. Ganpati is a basic guesthouse, certainly and I had to put up an annoying walk downstairs to get to the shared bathroom, although I suppose at 600 rupees it's hard to complain. The place has been brightly painted with lovely themed artwork and the communal areas are relaxing places where you can escape the heat.

I genuinely believe my huge room, number 15, had the best balcony view on the entire Ganges (in theory the balcony's a communal walk-round area accessible to all residents). Just standing outside my room at night watching the Ganges when everyone had retired to bed was a really precious moment of pure peace and calm, and if you get the opportunity to watch the Ganges flashing pink in thunder and lightening, you will really appreciate why you stayed so close to the action. However, I also had a pair of resident lizards residing on my ceiling, so if this would cause upset then Ganpati's not the place for you.

I really appreciated the free internet (there was a 15 minute limit which meant it quickly became free). On the whole, although everything runs smoothly, the staff take a very laissez faire attitude to the running of the guesthouse- they don't provide any towels or loo rolls, but equally they will hand them out like sweets whenever requested. Likewise, they won't clean the room unless you request them to. The Reception staff speak very good English and surprisingly excellent Spanish! The thali I had on the rooftop restaurant was pretty good and this is also a reliable and decent place to eat.

Ganpati attracts a real mixture of guests but most seem to be at least in their mid 20s and there were a couple of families with small children, so it perhaps wouldn't be the place to come if you were looking for a party. Highly recommended- I don't believe I could have found a better option.

Room Tip: My huge room 15 had a balcony with the absolutely perfect view of the Ganges, although bear in mind...
Reviewed 24 April 2012

Ganpati guesthouse was alright. We originally were quoted 450 rupees a night for a room, but when we arrived they wanted us to pay 600. We then had to argue that they had sent us 2 emails regarding the rate being 450 rupees and they finally gave in. No surprise that we had to struggle with prices as we were already in India for over a month. It is an average hostel, nothing special about it. I guess we would stay there again, unless the hotel next door had room available (Alka hotel) looked like a nicer place.

• Stayed: April 2012, travelled as a couple