“Warm atmosphere”
Review of Homestay Lucknow

We can't find prices for this hotel
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this hotel, but we can search other options in Lucknow
Homestay Lucknow
Ranked #8 of 91 Hotels in Lucknow
Mumbai
“Warm atmosphere”
Reviewed 19 December 2011

I stayed around a week and very much enjoyed it. The homestay itself isn't the lap of luxury, but if you do come stay here, you will find luxury unnecessary to feel comfortable and welcome in a new town. My room was cleaned everyday, my linens were spotless, and the lounge area (upstairs) set the scene for engaging conversations with other travelers and long-term tenants. The food (free breakfast, 50 Rs for lunch and dinner each) was very safe and delicious. Apparently, though I could be wrong, Naheed's family also eats the same food, which must be what keeps the food so tasty.

I am in my twenties and a student, which might be the reason why I didn't mind what has bothered others: cold showers, thin mattresses (I find Indian mattresses are good for my back), the sounds of faraway trains, and dysfunctional Wi-Fi (the ethernet cable was available). I enjoyed staying here so much I remained for a few more days, which was fine with the very accommodating Naheed, who also helped to arrange train and bus rides for guests who politely asked. I'm considering a longer stay in India sometime in the future, and this homestay has definitely swayed me to choose Lucknow, if not the homestay itself, as the site of a few months more of my twenties.

Room Tip: The upstairs rooms are more social, with the lounge and Wi-Fi area.
  • Stayed December 2011, travelled solo
9 Thank K C
Turn Your Opinions into Points!
Turn your opinions into JPMiles
Turn your opinions into PAYBACK Points
*You can enroll in only one programme at a time to earn rewards for reviews.
JPMiles / Payback Arrow
JPMiles / PAYBACK

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (24)
London
Reviewed 13 December 2011

Make no mistake, the Lucknow Homestay is not a luxury or boutique hotel. In fact, it's not a hotel at all, rather a family home with a bunch of attached rooms. These rooms are pretty basic, but tidy and clean. Mine had a typical Indian bed and use of a shared washroom with a bucket bath. For INR500 a night, it was totally fine. So far, so much like plenty of other places you can stay.

However, it's not like everywhere else you can stay. I'm a photographer. I travel with quite a lot of expensive equipment. I often feel uneasy leaving any of it in hotel rooms. I felt absolutely safe safe leaving my possessions there. As I said, it's a family home - and that family is pretty awesome.

Breakfast comes as part of the deal and lunch and dinner are INR50 per meal. While breakfast is pretty plain and simple - just parathas or wheat porridge and eggs - meals later in the day are well worth sticking around for. Really hearty, tasty simple Indian veg food, including an excellent jackfruit curry, rice, roti and pickles. As a person who never eats hotel food if I can help it, the fact that I made a point of going back for meals every day should say something.

In addition to perfectly adequate accommodation at an extremely reasonable price, plenty of hot water whenever necessary, excellent food and very pleasant fellow guests, Naheed, the lady of the house, is absolutely fantastic. I was in town to shoot several days of Shi'ite processions in the Imam Bara area and she arranged an excellent guide who whizzed me all over the place on the back scooter throughout. He really helped me get behind the story and was a great guy to hang out with, too.

For me, that's the kind of thing that makes a a massive difference to a stay in any city. If you want five-star luxury, you probably won't like it. If you want to feel absolutely at home, eat incredibly well and gain a real insight into a frequently fascinating city, you very likely will. I had a brilliant time in Lucknow, largely thanks to the fact that I chose to stay here, and very much hope I get the chance to return.

Room Tip: Ask questions and get tips on the city from your hosts, talk to your fellow guests (some are in Luck...
  • Stayed December 2011, travelled solo
8 Thank Subcontinental_Drift
Colombo, Sri Lanka
Reviewed 12 December 2011

I selected the Lucknow homestay subsequent to going through the reviews in the trip advisor. Four of us three ladies and my self, reached Lucknow around 11 hrs on 27th November 2011 from Sravasti. We had very high expectations as per the reviews. First of all whilst searching for the place, we saw heaps of refuse by the road. This made our ladies a bit annoyed. However maybe we entered the house with that feeling. We were offered a room in the ground floor and a room in the upper floor. The ladies point blankly refused to stay. The toilets were not clean and the rooms were dark. The upper floor toilet was horrible. Naeed was away in Delhi and I had to politely explain our situation to Naeeds husband, who was a nice chap. He understood. We found a very clean hotel (Mera Mane), and we were not sorry for missing the Indian family experience.

• Stayed November 2011, travelled with friends
6 Thank giriColombo_SriLanka
Cincinnati, Ohio
Reviewed 26 November 2011

I travel extensively, my lodgings vary and I'm not difficult to please.

I'm sorry to say that the Lucknow did not meet my expectations. The room was tidy, but not clean, the bed was homemade (a thin cushion atop a piece of plywood) and the shower, well it just didn't work. Many things, like the old bath towel I was given should have been changed out long ago.

Don't get me wrong, it's not a terrible place. I just was not comfortable. Naheed, the owner is friendly and helpful. If you are a student or a backpacker, the Lucknow Homestay is probably ideal. Otherwise, keep your expectations low.

Learn more details in my journal at www.mytripjournal.com/indiadave2011

David W.

• Stayed November 2011, travelled solo
2 Thank IndiaDave
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed 6 November 2011

As soon as we arrived, we were made to feel part of the family. We were shown into a lovely spacious, clean room by our wonderful host Naheed. She then cooked up the most wonderful food for us, better than you could get in any restaurant, and at a fraction of the cost!
We also spent Diwali with her family, which was great fun! Thank you Naheed for a wonderful stay!

• Stayed October 2011, travelled as a couple