“Nice Stay at Shanti Lodge, Restaurant with Beautiful View”
Review of Shanti Lodge

Shanti Lodge
Ranked #96 of 143 Hotels in Agra
Reviewed 24 October 2011

We just left the shanti lodge after a one night stay. The rooms are basic but have everything you need. The nicer rooms are in the back and the manager Viejay is very helpful. The room was clean and the sheets had been freshly washed. This is not a highclass resort, but for backpackers and gap year travelers it's just what you need, and well within budget. There may be a few mosquitos (we had one tricky mosquito, no more) but this is common with most hotels in this country especially if trying to stay within a tight budget.

The hotel is within a short walk (no more then 5 min) from the Taj Mahal south gate, which is the best gate as the least amount of tourist use this gate.

The restaurant has good food and service with fantastic views of the Taj Mahal from a lower and upper deck. I would recommend the rice pudding and banana, mango, or papaya lassi!!

Room Tip: Rooms in back are nice, and I believe there is a room on the top floor near the restaurant.
  • Stayed: October 2011, travelled as a couple

Reviewed 23 October 2011

This is my first review on TripAdvisor despite a lot of use, and you'll soon see why.

Good: The restaurant staff are great and the view of the Taj is wonderful, if clouded by smoke/pollution.

Fine: The room was pretty ordinary, maybe slightly below average, for what we've experienced during a month in India, and we paid a very low 400 rupees.

Bad: I was bitten by a rat while I was sleeping in my bed. I am not making this up. Getting bitten by a rat in India is basically straight out of a nightmare. The rat was small and snuck in under the door to our room, which was on the first floor in the old building. I felt it in my sleep and woke up to fling the rat off my bed in the sheet. It soon escaped under the door but then came back later for another visit.

My wife launched into crisis mode and called our travel insurance emergency line. They spent two hours trying to get in touch with their Indian affiliate, and our Vodaphone sim card ran out of credit, so we sat in the lobby waiting for them to call the landline. The Shanti employees really could not have cared less about us and just went back to sleep (one guy was fairly helpful later on, when the hotel woke up). When we left for a while and when we went to breakfast, we pleaded with them to please mind the phone in case our insurance co. called back but of course they didn't -- each time we came back the front desk was empty and our rep had called several times, reaching no one, delaying us in getting to the hospital and receiving treatment.

Oh, and while we were sitting in the lobby waiting for that phone call, another rat scampered in and hid under our couch. In the freakin' lobby. We just pulled up our feet and shrugged, too tired and stressed to care anymore.

Really, I can't believe how uncaring the employees were at this exceptional circumstance, even if only to be worried for the hit their hotel's reputation would take. Or maybe getting bitten by rats is common there -- I wouldn't be at all surprised, since they sleep in the open in the hotel and the rats are obviously around a lot. Agra is by far the most rat-infested place I've ever seen. The train station reminds me of that scene in Indiana Jones when they're crawling through the sewer and the rats are falling/running all around them.

I am not one to write terrible reviews for a place just for some minor slight, and I am certainly not one to make something like this up. We went to the hospital, I got the rabies shot and some antibiotics, and over the past 48 hours we've come within spitting distance of nervous breakdowns. I just thought you all should know.

Room Tip: If you are going to stay here, DO NOT stay on the ground floor, and probably not in the old building...
  • Stayed: October 2011, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 12 October 2011

I stayed at the shanty lodge 3 years ago, I enjoyed my stay there. This is the place where you will get the best vew of the Taj Mahal. The chanting from the Taj starts at 4am in the morning, with bells ringing,but after all I was there to absorb the culture. The food and drinks from the roof terrace was cheap and good value for money. The staff were very friendly. This is a place where a lot of students on there gap year stay, so lots of good interesting stories to be heard from them. I also loved the fact that the hotel surrounded by wild monkeys. I was buying fruit from a nearby seller to feed them. In all I loved the place and would stay there again. If you want 5 star luxury, this is not for you, but if you are more of a traveler than a holiday maker , this is great.

Room Tip: ask for a room with a vew of the taj . amazing at dawn.
  • Stayed: November 2010, travelled solo
Reviewed 5 October 2011

Not necessarily the best, but had cheapish AC room for Rs 750 (Rs 250 for basic rooms which are pretty decent). Not enough water pressure so took mandi baths, no hot water (but no hotels in Agra with hot water in summer – not that cold). Toilet didn’t work right – had to use bucket to flush. TV bu no English channels. Spacious room with marble tile floor but kinda odd because one window to restaurant covered by curtain, other window filled by AC. Balcony but narrow and on south side of building with lots of sun (too hot). They also turned off the AC power a lot and I had to ask several times to turn it back on (although this could be caused by power outages too, forcing them to reset the breaker?). One of the best rooftop restaurant patios for viewing the Taj with decent but not amazing food.

Room Tip: Fancy AC rooms not worth it, just get a cheap fan room if you choose to stay here.
  • Stayed: September 2011, travelled solo
Reviewed 25 September 2011

this place is a dump..I try to be positive but its hard with a place like this, its noisy and dirty with some shifty characters hanging around.

We stayed for 1 night and had an excellent view of the taj which is what its all about right? But I dont know if it was the hotel or just Agra itself but its bad..

Room Tip: the best rooms for a view of the taj has a tin roof and monkeys are running around alnight lol
  • Stayed: March 2011, travelled as a couple