“Sleep at the train station. It's quieter and cheaper.”
Review of Ranjit Hotel

Ranjit Hotel
Ranked #109 of 145 Hotels in Agra
Houston, Texas
“Sleep at the train station. It's quieter and cheaper.”
Reviewed 17 February 2011

This was like sleeping at a flophouse...Every night there was loud hall and street noise..It seemed more like a dormitory than a hotel..The restaurant was unacceptable...One look and we decided to eat out..There was no way to close the bathroom window..there was no hot water..there was no lift, even though the website said there was..(we are senior citizens and our room was 3 flights up)..one person spoke a little english so difficult to communicate..I had prepaid for the stay, or we would have gotten a new hotel the 2nd night..ABSOLUTELY WOULD NOT STAY HERE AGAIN...I HAVE TRAVELED EXTENSIVELY AROUND THE WORLD, AND THIS WAS THE 2ND WORST HOTEL I HAVE EVER STAYED IN.....BY FAR THE WORST IN INDIA...P.S. IF YOU ABSOLUTELY MUST SEE THE TAJ MAHAL..(AND IT LIKE AGRA FORT AND FATEHPUR SIKRI ARE VERY VERY OVERPRICED FOR ENTRY...STAY IN AGRA AS SHORT AS POSSIBLE...THE WORST STOP WE HAD IN 6 WEEKS IN INDIA...THE TOUTS ARE TERRIBLE...THE CITY IS CROWDED....

• Stayed February 2011, travelled as a couple
2 Thank crosslover
Turn Your Opinions into Points!
Turn your opinions into JPMiles
Turn your opinions into PAYBACK Points
*You can enroll in only one programme at a time to earn rewards for reviews.
JPMiles / Payback Arrow
JPMiles / PAYBACK

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (4)
Delhi
Reviewed 10 November 2010

Over all the experience was average. I paid for a air-conditioned room but when I entered I felt it was a non AC room. They told the AC was damaged. Staff was good, food was also ok and location is really excellent

• Stayed December 2009, travelled solo
New York City, New York
Reviewed 9 September 2010

This was my first trip to India and finding a good budget hotel was difficult. I read the reviews of the Ranjit Hotel on Tripadvisor but decided to try it anyway. I was only going to stay here for a day so how bad could it be?

I arrived at the Agra Cantt train station and asked someone where this hotel was. The guy, "who was on his way to a train" said I would need to take a taxi to get there. I was surprised because I knew it was near the train station. He told me that I was not at Agra Cantt. He directed me to one particular taxi driver. Within 5 minutes, we were at the hotel. You can see the train station from the hotel.

The lobby was small and simple. Check-in was fine though it was done at small table (card table). The bellboy was all too eager to bring your luggage up to my room.

In my room, one of the staff delivered some towels and I gave him a tip. Five minutes later, another of the staff delivered more towels. I told him I did not need them because I had some. The room itself was large and noticeably worn. It had a king/queen size bed and a small vanity without a mirror. It also had an air-conditioner that did not work and a ceiling fan that did. The speeds of the fan seemed a bit inappropriate or maybe it was just me. It was either too fast or too slow. The bathroom really needed a cleaning. It had numerous bugs, mildew and it lacked hot water. No, I did not call management.

In the evening, it was very dark , dusty and somewhat active. Although I felt safe walking around, I am sure there will be others who may not feel the same. I was looking for a restaurant and a STD calling station. I found neither. There is a restaurant at the train station which serves multi-cultural cuisines. I saw a lot of the tourists stop in.

Check-out was quick and easy. My train was at 12:25 AM and it took me about 5-10 minutes to walk to the train station.

Overall, if I was in Agra for a longer stay, I would not stay here. I would put up the extra money for a more accommodating hotel. I would only stay here if there were no other option. People who would use a hotel for sleeping purposes and are not bothered with how it looks may be fine here.

• Stayed March 2010, travelled solo
1 Thank oswald2007

Travellers are raving about these Agra hotels

Krakow, Poland
Reviewed 16 August 2010

Close to Agra Cannt. Railway Station, so you can avoid riksha-vultures. Empty in July so prices quite ok (200 IR per person per night). Some dirty corridors and rooms destroyed by reconstruction, but our rooms without AC better than those in Delhi (Hotel Anand - with AC). Stuff lazy, we had to wait long for food (wich was average) trying to deceive you but not importunate.
So the result is average no good no bad.

• Stayed July 2010, travelled with friends
Dhaka
Reviewed 18 February 2010

I have to this hotel on 07-02-2010. This is the most terrible hotel on my whole trip to india. Rooms are dirty and there is almost no room service. No aminities in the room and you will vomit after entering the batroom. Beds are hard and dirty. Owners are arrogent and take every chance to ripp you off. At 10 pm they sent me outside to have a photocopy of my passport. The next moring they brought back us to hotel to collect the passsport photocpoy and threatened me with the police, I took a car for whole day from the whole day and it refused to drop us to station which is a stones throw. At evening the owner sent the bell boy three times for the bill. The reception wasted 2 hrs for filling up the form although its their duty, For staying for extra half hour they charged me full day payment for whole room. While checking out the owner didn't even allow us to wait in the reception and almost thrown our luggage out of the hotel in the muddy road. They have a filthy restaurent and they dont allow food from outside. Three ill behaved old haggerds work in reception and they takes every chance to ripp you off, threaten you and make money out of you. The bell boys are arrogent and roam around the door aleays through out the night. I never thought a hotel could be such ill behaved. My suggestion - don't dare to stay. The owner also ownes " The Grand Hotel Agra". Specially for non indians - don't dare to stay.

• Stayed February 2010, travelled with family