New! Find and book your ideal hotel on TripAdvisor — and get the lowest prices

Review of The Grand Imperial, Agra

The Grand Imperial, Agra
Ranked #28 of 142 Hotels in Agra
Cambridge, Massachusetts
“no hot water; blaring music all night”
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 7 January 2012

The music outside our room was so loud, it was like being at a stadium concert. We called several times and the staff wouldn't turn the volume down, even though there were no guests outside listening to it. There was no hot water, even though the staff kept telling us that it was "ok." There are dancing performers (including a child) who keep aggressively bugging the guests for tips. Positives: the room was large and the architecture was interesting.

• Stayed December 2011, travelled with family
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
GrandImperial, Manager at The Grand Imperial, Agra, responded to this review, 6 February 2015
Dear Guest, Thank you for posting your review on Trip Advisor with regards your recent visit at The Grand Imperial I was most concerned to read you comment and I can assure you it will be taken up with the team and put to good use in our endeavour to provide the highest standards of service to our guests; I apologize that you were disappointed on this occasion and I hope to be able to restore your faith in The Grand Imperial in the future
Turn Your Opinions into Points!
Turn your opinions into JPMiles
Turn your opinions into PAYBACK Points
*You can enroll in only one programme at a time to earn rewards for reviews.
JPMiles / Payback Arrow
JPMiles / PAYBACK

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (89)
  • Arabic first
england
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 5 January 2012

My husband and I stayed here for two nights, thank goodness no look longer. The room was large and cold and backed on to the back of the kitchen! despite the place being almost empty. The shower was over the bath and like another post flooded the floor, probably same room. We didn't touch the buffet after the first night as it looked as if it had been there all day. Breakfast was no better with the waiters waiting to take plates before we had finished.

Everywhere we turned someone was waiting for a tip!! The laundry came back damp.

The good thing was the wifi was free although slow.

Room Tip: Make sure you ask to look at room before taking,
  • Stayed January 2012, travelled as a couple
1 Thank winged1
Cuenca, Ecuador
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 3 January 2012

Nice big rooms but it was cold in December. The heater they brought over died and did not work. The toilet was blocked and housekeeping (3 guys!) could not fix it. They insisted it was ok even though a turd was floating in the bowl. They looked plaintively at me seeming to look for a tip.

One of us had food poisoning during our stay there - not having eaten anything anywhere else. The front desk was singularly unhelpful when we asked for a doctor. "Too much fog. The doctor will not come". Then get a taxi to take us to the hospital "too much fog. no taxi." Then get an ambulance. He could not find a hospital for 20 minutes.

Flipping through the guest book, you could see other entries of horror, including one: "my wife was ill". I wonder why?

• Stayed December 2011, travelled with family
    • 1 of 5 bubbles

Travellers are raving about these Agra hotels

Leiden, The Netherlands
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 29 December 2011

We stayed 2 night in the Grand Imperial.
The room are great and big. The comfort a little less but still Okay. It has a has a swimming pool and and a massage parlor. Also a restaurant, though the restaurant (buffet style) is something the hotel has to work on. This restaurant is rather below standard compared to other Indian restaurants.

Room Tip: Eat outside the hotel, there will always be a gentile TukTuk driver just outside the hotel that will...
  • Stayed October 2011, travelled with family
    • 4 of 5 bubbles
    • 4 of 5 bubbles
1 Thank Ch B
GrandImperial, Manager at The Grand Imperial, Agra, responded to this review, 7 February 2015
Kolkata, India
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 19 December 2011

Allow me to be very candid so that all readers of this review know what to expect.

GOOD THINGS FIRST:
1) This is a heritage building from the Bristish Era, now converted to a Hotel. This was closed for almost 40years and has restored operations since the last 7 to 10years. In the bygone days, it has hosted luminaries like the Prince of England, Prince of Japan, The Agha Kan, Dilip Kumar, Madhubala... etc.
2) The rooms are huge and gives a very stately feeling. You will feel like a royal living here.
The staff is very courteous and they will try their best to help you out.
The F&B manager was very friendly and made sure that the guests were kept in good humour.
3)The breakfast spread is very good and I found it to be comparable to few of the best hotels I got a chance to visit.
4)Every evening, they have local or Rajasthani performances in the lawns. Sometimes they may have special programmes too, where the courteous front-desks invites all the residents to enjoy the same. Swimming pool is also well maintained.

ROOM FOR IMPROVEMENT:
1) The staff received us at the hotel with garland which was very encouraging. However, then the welcome drinks turned out to be plain Cola drink in small and plain glasses. My 5Star experience expects some decorated containers with freshly brewed local drinks like coconut water, mango juice..... if not some good mocktails.
2)Since they have resumed operations recently, certain places here may pinch the eye. As per the management, since this is a Heritage Building, they need approvals from the government even for petty matters like putting a nail through the walls. I am sure they are working on this, though 7years of operations was a good time to put things straight by now. The ceiling of my room was flaking (Maharani Padmini Suite).
3)The dinner and lunch spreads do not meet 5Star standards. I also ordered Chilli Chicken, a-la-carte. What I was served was more of a Sweet-n-Sour Chicken.
4)I was called twice from the laundry saying that my laundry was ready. I had to tell them that it was not mine since I had sent nothing to the laundry.
5)The Shaving Kit in the bathroom had the razor missing....... only the cream was provided. Luckliy, I always like using my own set whereever I go. Hence this was not a problem.
6)I requested my batroom to be replenised with Shampoo, cream and soap. A well dressed gentleman came and replenished toilet-rolls only. I am sure, he did not check what was really needed to be replenished in the batroom. I had to call them 2nd time to get the right stuff.
7)The bathtub had water standing in it. Maybe the management may do a little levelling to that there is a slope for the water to drain out.
8)In all my 5Star stays, I have seen a printed card on the Mini-bar/Snacks counter, saying what was complimentary and the rates of the stuff that was chargeable. You know it gets embarassing to call up the reception to ask the same!!

MY OVERALL RECOMENDATION:
This is one of the best properties I have stayed in. Please visit this place if you want to live the life of a royal and get treated like one too. But I feel that the promoters of this place are not at all interested to restore this place to its former glory. I think the operating management might be running against forces to put up a good show, but it lacks the backup they need. There is a lot of expectation when you pay almost Rs.10,000 per day of your stay at a hotel. Nevertheless, I would like to go back there if they can improve on the above.

Thank you and Merry Christmas 2011.

Room Tip: All the rooms are good, no doubt about that.
  • Stayed December 2011, travelled as a couple