2,265 results
All reviewstaj viewtaj grouppuppet showindian restaurantrooftop barswimming poolan upgradecoffee shopexcellent hospitalityrestaurant staffgolden triangle tourred fortwelcome drinkfront officecourteous staffbuffet breakfastcomfortable stay
Reviewed 5 April 2018

We booked a suite in this hotel on our recent trip to India specifically because it was said to overlook the Taj Mahal. When we arrived the suite wasn't ready and, although we were given another room, it meant that as we were going on a guided tour of Agra Fort we might not make it back to the hotel in daylight which rather made our suite upgrade pointless.

The room, when we got it, was comfortable but not the same standard as suites we had elsewhere on the trip. The biggest disappointment though was our view of the Taj Mahal. It is visible, but we hardly overlooked it! I wouldn't pay for an upgrade again. As for the hotel, it is a fairly modern hotel with not a huge amount of character. The staff were attentive but the experience was hardly memorable!

Room Tip: Don't bother with an upgrade to a suite if you are told you will overlook the Taj Mahal!
  • Stayed: March 2018, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 5 April 2018

I may be wrong but I was told by hotel staff that this was the oldest 5 star hotel in Agra, constructed about 40 years ago. And that makes sense. It looks and feels ancient. The rooms have a feel that is so very 1990s. You have to pinch yourself to check if this is really an Indian Hotels property as it feels more like a regular 3/4 star hotel.

The positive elements:

1. Attentive and helpful staff
2. Great food
3. Centrally located and easily accessible for anyone traveling from Delhi on the Yamuna Expressway
4. Spacious rooms
5. Cheap prices
6. Large grounds

What was a let-down:

1. Crumbling infrastructure. From the rooms to the gym/spa to the swimming pool changing rooms, everything is old. Its almost like the hotel is stuck in a 1995 time warp. For instance, the music system in the gym was not working and upon a closer look i realised that not only did it have a provision to play CDs but also cassettes!!!!!

2. On-going and continuous repair work. This was really upsetting, especially because I had construction work happening under my room from 9am to 5pm, every day. The sound of drills, hammers etc actually gave me a headache. Upon asking the lobby manager to get it stopped he lamely offered to change my room. And that would have been of no help as the sound could even be heard in the looby

3. Blaring music in the lawns at night. Its one of those hotels that seems to specialise in "DJ nights". I stayed for 3 nights and on 2 nights there was this makeshift dance floor with a DJ belting out Bollywood and Punjabi music at ear-shattering decibel levels. How is a guest supposed to sleep at night? Was the hotel even concerned?

4. Location. The hotel is on a very busy street where it is almost impossible to walk thanks to heavy traffic and/or constant traffic jams. The cacophony of the multiple horns can drive you nuts

5. Single restaurant. There is a single place to eat. Breakfast, lunch and dinner are all in the same place. The food is very good but not being able to try another cuisine can be restrictive.

6. Bar in the lobby. Yes, a part of the lobby has been carved out into an open bar area. Guess they dont have any other space.

The Taj group of hotels, where I have stayed for many years, across their hotels in India and overseas, are doing a huge disservice to their brand by running this low-grade hotel.

Room Tip: Rooms facing the back of the hotel are much nicer than the ones facing the front (an extremely buys, noisy and dirty main street)
  • Stayed: November 2017, travelled on business
Reviewed 4 April 2018

Even though this is not as modern as many hotels in India, it is a unique place. You enjoy the environment from the very moment that staff welcome you.

Very helpful and caring staff, they just support you with all your needs and requests and try their bests to give you a great time.

I think hotel should a bit work on the ventilation, since it is an old building. Sometimes, you can smell damp in the building, but it's very minor.

The breakfast is great, and staff are just there to support you every second. There are also some shops in hotel, surprisingly, with reasonable prices for clothing and jewellery.

Rooms have good views from both sides, one side from Taj Mahal and another one from the yard. Also you have an amazing view on Taj Mahal from the roof deck. It's absolutely fabulous.

All in all, it was a great experience staying in this hotel.

Room Tip: Taj Mahal view
  • Stayed: March 2018, travelled with family
Paramveer S, General Manager at The Gateway Hotel, Agra, responded to this reviewResponded 5 April 2018

Thank you for sharing your experience on Trip Advisor.

I am delighted to note that you found the people, food and location great, and services to be excellent and that you enjoyed the view of Taj Mahal from SkyDeck and your room. Thank you for praising our hotel, facilities, food and services.

I am glad that our well trained and dedicated team members were able to make a positive impression during your stay and help create memories for a life time.

I am delighted to know that every aspect of your experience was excellent. Personalized services, your room and location left a great impression on you. It feels so special to receive such feedback from our guests and I am overwhelmed each time by the commitment of our team to create fond memories of our guests.

We also thank you for your wonderful words of appreciation of our services. We believe that people make a hotel special, giving it heart and soul. Guests such as yourself are the true inspiration behind our philosophy towards hospitality and our effort remains to continuously engage in guest satisfaction and service excellence.

I have shared your compliments with the entire team, who were delighted to note that their efforts were so well recognized. Your generous indication of our performance will be a source of great inspiration and will encourage us to strive for even higher standards of service.

Our hotel offers an excellent opportunity to relax and unwind in tranquil surroundings and this is what our guests appreciate the most about us. It is great to know that the charm of the stunning landscaped gardens, pool area and the serene ambiance of the hotel worked its magic on you.

It is our constant endeavor to deliver best and it is appreciation and feedback such as yours which motivates the entire team to continue striving for excellence.

I have also made a good note of your constructive feedback referring to numerous aspects of our services, please be assured that your feedback will be taken most seriously to work on and deliver the standard expected from us.

I thank you once again for your recommendation and look forward to having more opportunities to be of service to you.

Reviewed 4 April 2018

Had a wonderful stay at the Taj Gateway Hotel. Stayed with family, what the property looses in terms of opulence & grandeur it more than makes up through superlative service and amazing hospitality. Staff is super nice, service is great and food is outstanding. Will not go anywhere else in Agra.

Room Tip: Go for Top Floors, Suits are great.
  • Stayed: March 2018, travelled with family

Thank you for sharing your experience on Trip Advisor.

I am delighted to note that you found the people, food and location great, and services to be excellent Thank you for praising our hotel, facilities, food and services.

Reviewed 3 April 2018

Exceptional experience indeed- everybody was welcoming and courteous. Mr Ali, Rahul, Geeta,and Raju went out of the way to make our stay a memorable one. Congratulations all for a job very well done!!!

Room Tip: The Mehtab Bagh Suite is superb with a great view of the Taj
  • Stayed: March 2018, travelled as a couple
Review collected in partnership with Taj Hotels & Resorts

Thank you for sharing your experience on Trip Advisor.

I am delighted to note that you found the people, food and location great, and services to be excellent. Thank you for praising our hotel, facilities, food and services.

I am delighted to know that every aspect of your experience was excellent. Personalized services, delicious food and location left a great impression on you. It feels so special to receive such feedback from our guests and I am overwhelmed each time by the commitment of our team to create fond memories of our guests.