“Great Place to stay”

The Gateway Hotel, Agra
Ranked #7 of 142 Hotels in Agra
Reviewed 27 August 2012

Great hotel to stay at Agra. The most charming fact is the view of TajMahal from the room itself. It's really amazing. Rooms are quiet, clean and properly maintained. Restaurant serves good food but a bit expensive even in 5star category. They serves variety of items in breakfast. The lobby area is bit congested, it could have been better.

Will recommend it as the city is too noisy, so after you came from all the city hustle bustle, should have some quiet place to take rest.

Room Tip: Choose the rooms from which you will get the View of Taj. All room does not have that.
  • Stayed: December 2011, travelled as a couple
Turn Your Opinions into Points!
Turn your opinions into JPMiles
Turn your opinions into PAYBACK Points
*You can enroll in only one programme at a time to earn rewards for reviews.
There are newer reviews for The Gateway Hotel, Agra

Reviewed 21 August 2012

This hotel was OK. I ended up paying more than I thought it was worth, as I left booking too late, and this hotel was the only one left that wasn't a homestay on the one night I had in Agra. I'm trying not to let that affect my review too much, however even with the high amount of my bill, I still paid half of rack rate, so be sure you're not paying any more than that when you go!

They are currently renovating the second floor, so perhaps they hadn't gotten up to my room yet. It definitely needed renovation and had a damp smell. I was in a suite with a Taj view, however it was too foggy to properly see the Taj, and as some other reviewers have commented, the room was REALLY noisy, so in my personal opinion, if I went back, I'd ask for a garden view room - as the view of the Taj isn't worth the extra price (you're going to see it properly whilst you're there anyway) and I'd imagine the garden view rooms are much quieter.

Pro's: The garden is really lovely and the hotel has a gym and a pool (note, the staff tell you the gym is 24/7, but that means that if you want to access it after 9pm, or before 6am, you need to go to reception and ask for a key). There are magicians and puppeteers in the evening, which are probably good if you have kids. There are yoga mats in the rooms, and the staff are very friendly.
Cons: Room was noisy, damp, and visibly aging (as noted, they are renovating, so this may be fixed soon). My shower was broken, and when fixed, water pressure remained bad. When I arrived, I only had one towel in my room. I asked for extra towels, and arrived back to my room to find a single extra towel (Agra is hot, and you walk about a fair bit... expect to take a couple of showers a day!), so again had to ask for more.

In all, this hotel wasn't my cup of tea. If I went back, I'd book a room earlier and stay at the Oberoi. If I'm going to be gauged on price, I want it to be worth it.

• Stayed: August 2012, travelled solo
Reviewed 20 August 2012

Inauguration of new express way from New Delhi - Noida to Agra has made Hotels in Agra busy for some time ! The Express way reduces the journey time significantly by at least two hours to Agra. Its always a good idea specifically due to poor weather most of the year in Agra- to stay overnight - plan to see the Taj Mahal in either moon light or early morning. Agra Fort visit on same day - in the evening with Sound and Light Show at 1915 Hrs. I believe this is best way to spend evening Day 1 and visit Taj early morning pre-breakfast is best idea- due to heat - dust - humidity most of the year !

Stay at Gateway Agra Hotel-managed by Tata's is best and relaxing.

Room we stayed was comfortable with excellent house keeping. Specially offer of laundry at just $ 12 for any 10 clothes.You could dry clean in about 2-3 hours all your dirty clothes unlike US or Europe !
Taj Mahal is close and so is Agra Fort - Gate way has location advantage,

Food breakfast is excellent,
Have food only in Coffee shop as the Punjabi -Indian is understaffed and poor service. Best is the Bar ! Taj culture of excellent and efficient staff makes the stay pleasant.

Room Tip: Chose floor 5, and any side - pool side or road side.
  • Stayed: August 2012, travelled with family
2  Thank MADHUKAR K
Reviewed 15 August 2012

This hotel was recommended to us by friends and we were not disappointed. We arrived fairly late in the evening, and on entering our room we could see the Taj Mahal through the window which was a magical moment. The room was very clean and tidy with the usual amenities that you would expect in this price range, although throughout our stay in India, we never really got used to having to pay for WiFi, but as we discovered this seems to be the norm in India, even at the most expensive hotels.
I really enjoyed the breakfast buffet (my favorite meal) and rather overindulged!
We stayed two nights and the staff were friendly and helpful in answering our questions. We did have to call housekeeping on one occasion for a minor issue (light bulb), and this was taken care of promptly, as was our laundry.
The hotel is in a good location with nice grounds, and a short drive from the Taj and the other major sites. Will probably never have the opportunity to go back, but would definitely stay there again.

Room Tip: Well worth the relatively small extra cost for a Taj view room
  • Stayed: April 2012, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 11 August 2012

Convenient to the Taj Mahal, the Red Fort, everything nearby...... Good breakfast buffet, excellent rooms (and mattress), and service. Restaurant food was also quite good, but even though it is surrounded by 6 acres of gardens, the noise level is poor. Maybe it was the wedding nearby. But then, there are always weddings in India.

Room Tip: Ask for a quiet room. I don't know where that would be, but I'm sure all the hotels in the...
  • Stayed: February 2012, travelled as a couple