“Very Good”

Hotel Crystal Retreat
Ranked #112 of 209 Agra B&B and Inns
Reviewed 24 March 2012

I stayed with my family in this Hotel from 12/3/12 to 14/3/12. Overall experience is very good. Very neat & Clean. Location excellent. Hotel Gopika at the ground floor serves very good food, chat & sweets. Excellent Taj View from roof top restaurant. Breakfast is OK(not very good..
Staff is co-opearative. Booking via travel sites are costlier. One can get better deals by directly contacting the Hotel. I lost Rs 1800 in 02 days by booking through Expedia.

Room Tip: Deal directly with the Hotel. Don,t Book through Travel Sites.
  • Stayed: March 2012, travelled with family

Reviewed 8 March 2012

Nice room but don't expect clean towels or the beds made up, the staff are pests and constantly phoning and knocking the door for the balance payment of your stay! The night staff look like they have been sleeping in the street they are that unclean. Order food from the restaurant and they send out to Macdonalds for it! and believe me an hour and a half wait gets you a bit angry, There are views of the Taj from the roof though. However if you are doing the Taj only 1 or 2 nights it is as long as you would want to stay there.

Room Tip: All rooms are on one floor so no real advantage to a good room, just don't use the restaurant fo...
  • Stayed: February 2012, travelled with friends
1  Thank Steven W
Reviewed 3 February 2012

We were well treated by the rest of the staff, at other times of the day, but the night manager left me speechless. When I mentioned that we were wait-listed on a train to Varanasi, the night manager said there were other trains and flights, and I should speak with their travel agent. He dialed, and passed the phone to me. The alternatives were a two hour taxi ride to connect with another train, or a $370 flight. When I said I could not agree right then (I needed to speak with my travelling companion, and also what the agent was proposing was not very satisfactory, and I thought we might skip going to Varanasi), and finished the call, the night manager said, "You were on the phone a long time. Do you realize how many rupees that call cost?" I said I did not know a local call cost extra. Then he said that I had taken up his time, and he hoped our train would be either fogged in or cancelled.

• Stayed: December 2011, travelled with friends
Reviewed 16 January 2012

We stayed only one night at this hotel, so at the end it was not so bad. But the man at the reception was rude. When we arrived in our bedroom, I checked the bed sheets, they were not changed. I asked for clean one, and I had to put them one myself. The bathroom floor mat was very dirty, ans used toiletries were in the bathroom, you can see on the photo. The hotel actually is located at the top of a shop. But there is Wi Fi in the room and the location once you find it it's not so bad. Not a three star hotel, But OK if you just spend one night in Agra..

• Stayed: December 2011, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 15 January 2012

We stayed here for one night & were a bit apprehensive given some of the previous reviews. The hotel is set within the 4th floor of an office block, accessed via a short set of steps up to the lift. Entering straight into reception we had to wait a little while (people arguing that they had been overcharged) we were quickly checked in.

The hotel only has about 14 rooms, set off one corridor and all are modern, newly decorated and very clean. Our room was huge with the comfiest bed we had whilst travelling round India, a fridge & tea & coffee making facilities. The bathroom was also very spacious & clean with a great shower.

What we found strange/annoying is that despite only having 14 odd rooms, the hotel seems to employ about 25 members of staff who are slightly too enthusiastic. Within 10 minutes of checking in we were visited on 6 separate occasions – 1st to show us how to use the tv, 2nd to show us how to use the aircon, 3rd, to ask if we were happy with the room, 4th to ask if we wanted any food served in our room, 5th to ask if we wanted any alcohol brought to our room and the 6th time, by the manager to ask if we liked the hotel. As you can imagine – quite wearing after a 6 hr drive from Delhi (Diwali traffic!). Unfortunately pretty much everyone wanted a tip…..

Having stayed in Agra (ITC Mughal) before I knew what to expect. Agra really is only a place to spend one night as it’s quite tiresome - it just seems that everyone is out to try & make money from you. The surrounding area isn’t wonderful but there are plenty of restaurants nearby & hotels with bars. There’s a Costa & even a Pizza Hut just down the road (turn left out of the hotel onto the main road, then left again & keep walking – both are next to each other on the left) with the most friendly staff ever! Much welcomed after a week of India cuisine!

One thing that wasn’t clear from the reviews was whether the hotel had a restaurant – it doesn’t, but they do serve food in your room. Breakfast is served on the roof – there’s a couple of old tables & chairs & not much of a view (we did stand on a chair though & could see the Taj in the distance!). Breakfast was included & was a choice of Continental, American or Indian. We opted for American (choice of eggs plus toast) & it was consumable, the coffee not so!! Unfortunately the waiter wasn’t interested in what we thought of the food, only whether we thought we had ‘good service’….hint hint.... When hearing us leaving our rooms to check out we were descended upon by 5 or 6 members of staff, all fighting to get in the room to see what tip we had left and to take our bags. Check out was even harder – despite having a print out of the cost per night (£30) & how much state taxes were, they tried to charge us an extra 5% for ‘other taxes’ but couldn’t explain what these were….15 minutes later and a lot of raised voices & the staff then deciding they couldn’t speak English, they agreed we did not need to pay the extra taxes. Would I recommend staying here here? Maybe – the rooms were great, as was the price but prepare to be treated as a walking wallet and scrutinise your bill!!

• Stayed: November 2011, travelled with friends