“Ooty: A big mistake”
Review of King's Cliff

King's Cliff
Ranked #11 of 85 Hotels in Ooty
Reviewed 21 February 2012

Our travel agent did not recommend Ooty but we insisted on visiting largely on the basis that so many other South India tours include Ooty on their itineraries and the ‘toy train’.

We had initially booked the Taj Savoy but the hotel contacted us later to advise that all the other rooms had been booked by an Indian wedding party and hence it might be advisable to stay elsewhere – what a shame as King’s Cliff was a disaster.

I like to get up around 7 am and have a hot shower before dressing for breakfast. Not an unreasonable expectation I would have thought but that was not the case here. On neither of the cold January mornings that I stayed there did I manage to have a hot shower. On the second occasion I strongly complained to the duty manager only to be told that the hot water was now available as if now that after I had a freezing cold shower, was dressed and had breakfast, I should now go back to my room and have a hot shower. I shook my head in disbelief.

Unfortunately the denial mentality was as ubiquitous as the power supply was erratic. After one of the numerous ‘brown outs’, our TV (and apparently all the others) stopped functioning. I later discovered that neither my camera battery charger nor my electric toothbrush charger would function and both have had to be replaced.

Our ‘deluxe’ room was not particularly attractive with a bare very high roof that clearly was not going to be quick to heat. There was a fireplace but very little firewood is supplied and there is no other heating with the result that apart from about only two hours, our room was freezing cold.

Breakfast was served in a conservatory which is apparently some distance from the kitchen and the only attempt to keep the “hot” breakfast actually hot are inadequate tea lights. The food was lukewarm at best and a very poor variety was offered.

In fact the only favourable comments I can make about King’s Cliff are the decor in the common areas and the garden which were both tasteful and well maintained.

However our biggest mistake was even going to Ooty. Lonely Planet describes Conoor (at the other end of the ‘toy train’ ride) as “a bustling, honking mess”. It then goes on to describe Ooty as “a pine-clad retreat” and as ‘Snooty Ooty’ conjuring images of some sort of Indian version of an English Cotswold village. I can only assume that the authors consumed coffee in Conoor and something probably illegal in Ooty. Ooty is every bit as bad as Conoor. Yes, the grounds of some the resorts are attractive (as was King’s Cliff) but you don’t really get to appreciate them unless you are staying there.

The road from Mysore to Ooty is atrocious and on our trip whilst the road to Cochin is better, the views were mostly always obscured by cloud/mist/fog. The botanical gardens etc. were a total disappointment and don’t even start me on the waste of time of the ‘toy train’. Suffice it to say that it does not even belong in the same category as, say, the Flam railway in Norway as one might expect given its ‘world heritage’ status and it does not even have a steam loco. – just old, crowded carriages.

Stayed: January 2012, travelled as a couple
5  Thank Lexus51
Turn Your Opinions into Points!
Turn your opinions into JPMiles
Turn your opinions into PAYBACK Points
*You can enroll in only one programme at a time to earn rewards for reviews.
There are newer reviews for King's Cliff

Reviewed 10 February 2012

If a drinky is your thing then take your own. Food very good but ridiculously long menu from around the world. I chose a starter and then after finding a main course, i could not find the starter again. Never did get it!
Rooms ok but our shower tray had collapsed and was covered with astroturf. Same in the next room apparently. Apparently the rooms in the hotel smell of diesel? A bit overpriced at 4000Rs
Nowhere to walk to much but the views are stunning. Good trip down to Mysore via 36 hairpin bends.

Room Tip: Best rooms in the annexe
  • Stayed: January 2012, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 23 January 2012

My wife and I arrived late and were very happy to find accommodation at Kings Cliff. While we had planned on staying two nights only, we had such a great time that we decided to stay for four! Whilst it was more expensive than where we usually stay, it is still cheap by western standards and this is definitely a place where you get VALUE for your money. The staff, accommodation and food were all fantastic. It suited us to be slightly out of town rather than in Ooty itself, and would reccommend this place to anyone who also enjoyed a bit of quiet and great scenery.

Stayed: January 2012, travelled as a couple
3  Thank Mark T
Reviewed 19 January 2012

This little known hotel is a real gem.It is tucked away on the top of a hill close to town but quiet. The ambiance is quaint and the food is excellent.
Do not take any of the rooms in the main block as it lacks privacy. The staff
lit a fire in our room each night which was great. Since we had taken three rooms we had a fire in the garden one evening with a Barbecue which was real fun. I have had an association with Ooty from 1960 and this is a hotel I would choose over many of the bigger and more expensive ones.

• Stayed: September 2011, travelled with friends
2  Thank benverghese
Reviewed 17 January 2012

We stayed at King's Cliff for 2 nights and our experience was simply wonderful. One of the best places I have visited. It's a 130 year old bungalow and has a British colonial charm. It consists of just 9 rooms and all the rooms are named after characters from Shakespeare's novels. We stayed in IAGO which is a semi-deluxe room. Room size was decent and had a king-size bed and a real working fire-place. Housekeeping would lit the fireplace in the evenings which made the room very cozy. There are a few things about this place which are worth a mention. Firstly, the staff is very very courteous and helpful. We always got a royal treatment. And they always had a solution to all our problems. Secondly, the in-house restaurant named Earl's Secret serves amazing food. It's a multi-cuisine restaurant that serves Indian, Chinese and Continental cuisines. No matter what we ordered, we always ended up praising it. Thirdly, the breakfast buffet is served in a glasshouse in the garden. Breakfast in the garden under the morning sun just gives a wonderful start to the day.

To sum up, it was a 5 star experience and it just made the holiday experience memorable.

• Stayed: January 2012, travelled with family