“Nightmare at Ooty”

Sagar Holiday Resorts
Ranked #22 of 85 Hotels in Ooty
Reviewed 25 June 2012

We booked this hotel via cleartrip.com and got a confirmed booking. After a tiring road trip from Bangalore with my wife and 3 year old kid, I was happy to see the location. We were getting a little late so had called up the hotel at around 12:00 p.m that day to confirm the room.
Then we met these crooks which this resort has employed as their staff and our nightmare started.
They said that the room is not available and they cannot provide us accommodation over there, but can adjust us in a nearby "villa" that their top management folks stay in. They said a guest had extended their stay in the last moment and hence cannot provide the accomodation.
Arguing with them, asking them to move the other guest to the villa instead of us or calling up cleartrip didn't help. After wasting an hour with them and with my 3 yr old kid and the long journey we had no option but to check out their so called "villa".
Then they took us to a shabby little house fit to be a brothel at the most (and I am not joking). The room was small with the overpowering smell of phenol all over the place. Next to the room was a dormitory kind of thing with ugly mattresses lying on the floor. As soon as we saw the place I could make out that these people are taking us for a ride and left that place saying that they should process the refund, to which the guy agreed and left.
It was peak season, but we somehow managed to get another accommodation. Later we thought of checking with cleartrip the same day to ensure that the refund order is in place. To our utter surprise the cleartrip guy said that your accomodation is confirmed and they see that I have checked in and there cannot be any refund provided. They said that they have got a confirmation message from Sagar holiday resort that we have checked-in in their villa.
I spent around 3 hours calling back and forth the cleartrip guys and the hotel staff. Finally after doing a conference with the cleartrip manager and one of the staff I could convince that we are not infact staying in their hotel. If I would not have done this call the same day then I am sure these crooks would have easily gone away with this money.
By the time this ended it was 9:30 p.m. and Day 1 in Ooty went down in my journals as the worst vacation day of my life.
I would advise you guys to be very carefull of the staff in case you do plan to book here and somehow do get a written confirmation from them on the room availability. Better still have a backup option in place. Even better is not to include this place in your itinerary at all. The place has a nice view, but you may have to loose your sleep with the cunning staff at your back.
Remember... you have been warned :-)

• Stayed: April 2012, travelled with family
15  Thank BengaluruTraveller
Turn Your Opinions into Points!
Turn your opinions into JPMiles
Turn your opinions into PAYBACK Points
*You can enroll in only one programme at a time to earn rewards for reviews.

Reviewed 21 June 2012

I will rate my experience here as excellent.

The view is too good to be true!
It is built on the slope in the mountains.
The view of ketti-valley is awesome.

The property is very clean.
The toilets are very clean and large.
The staff were very friendly.

The beds were very good and though it was very cold outside, it was very comfortable inside.
Had an excellent night sleep.

The car park is reasonable.
Sometimes in the nights it gets filled up though.

The approach road to the hotel from the main road is poor.
There is a big dip and low slung cars will take a hit under-body.
Wish the hotel arranges to improve the road.

Hot water was available throughout.
But problem was it takes sometime for it to come and till then cold water is wasted, which is a precious resource in the nilgiris.

Will definitely stay here again!

• Stayed: June 2012, travelled with family
Reviewed 29 May 2012

I stayed for 2 nights here. Must say it was nice experience staying away from the hustle bustle of city. Excellent view out of each room; though more you stay towards the top of the resort, better view you get of the valley.

• Stayed: May 2012, travelled with family
Reviewed 11 May 2012

I was there for 4D/3N . Excellent place to relax in case you are willing to stay away from City. Situated around 10 min drive from main city on Connor Road. Rooms are good and gives you very good view of valley. You can see the Ooty –Coonoor train toy train passing by from your balcony. Over all I will say its FULL PAISA VASOOL ( Full Value for Money )

Room Tip: All rooms are good but rooms in middle rows are better.
  • Stayed: April 2012, travelled with family
1  Thank prashant1272
Reviewed 5 May 2012

I stayed for 2 days and 1 night at Sagar Resort. It is located around 2 Km from Ooty center at a very peacefull location on Ooty-Coonoor road.
The resort is situated on the slope of the hill and the cottages are so designed that you get a panoromic view of the Ketti valley.
Sitting in the large balcony of the cottage , you can see the mist covered montains and the toy train from ooty to coonor passing by, down in the Valley.
Cottages at Sagar hoilday resort in ooty are uniquely designed in the form of steps.
Overall Nice stay with excellent view.
Furnishing in the room is good enough. Room service is prompt and food is ok.
They have a children play area at the lower part of the resort and you can enjoy the mist filled mountains in the evening by spending some time in this area.

Pros: Excellent View
Very Peacfull
Cons: Since the resort is located on the slope of the valley, to reach the cottages you need to use the stairs (which would be quite difficult if your cottages is towards the lower part ) or you can use the movable trolley, but everytime you have to call someone from service to operate it.

It would be good to have your own transport since the resort is away from the nearest bus stand and market.

Overall i would give a rating of 7.5 on 10.

• Stayed: May 2012, travelled with family