“About average”

Ranked #8 of 54 Hotels in Madurai
Bengaluru, India
“About average”
Reviewed 19 June 2012

I stayed in the hotel for 2 days with family and had booked 3 rooms. I think they are bit overpriced..location wise they are good if you are travelling by train. You can see the hotel board from the railway station itself...Meenakshi temple is at walking distance.. Hotel reception is unfriendly..one of our room was bad...breakfast service is very good...for extra person they only provided the mattress and not the bed...reception informed that children breakfast will be charged extra as only 2 persons b/f is allowed...which was shocking and rude of him..although they did not charge us for children..i had booked the rooms over phone..on arrival i was told that they are short of one room and proposed me to take a higher priced room...on some arguments they gave me the higher priced room at the same rate..you can go here if you dont find any other option..since i was travelling with kids..had to opt for this one and had no time to check other hotels in that area but i feel if you don't have this constraint then u can get other hotels easily even without booking..

• Stayed June 2012, travelled with family
2 Thank amitsharma3101
Turn Your Opinions into Points!
Turn your opinions into JPMiles
Turn your opinions into PAYBACK Points
*You can enroll in only one programme at a time to earn rewards for reviews.
JPMiles / Payback Arrow
JPMiles / PAYBACK

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (147)
england
Reviewed 13 June 2012

Well from the outside it looked promising... security standing around looking quite smart and polite. But the staff at the front desk make you feel like your bothering them and are not polite at all. This made me feel a little stressed as was hot a bothered after a long journey. A smile would have gone a long way :-) Pretty efficient at checking us in I suppose but hospitality very bad. Took the life to our room. The smell was not nice and do not open the wardrobe door the smell was worse! It was like an overpowering deodorising smell probably used to hide some more sinister smell, who knows. Well it was bearable as we did stay there for one night, and the price was very cheap we thought so I suppose for the price it was OK. It was walking distance to the temple, but the streets so hetic and dirty i would suggest still taking a tuk tuk.

Not the worst hotel in the world I would certainly not come back again in a hurry

• Stayed May 2012, travelled as a couple
1 Thank EnglandLovely
Chennai, India
Reviewed 11 June 2012

if you are couple/family never stay in this hotel, worst service and the front desk doesn't know how to speak to customer. This may be the worst ever hotel stayed in my entire life, please stay away from this hotel.

Room Tip: Stay near by 3 star hotels they much more value for money.
  • Stayed June 2012, travelled as a couple
7 Thank y_coolguy

Travellers are raving about these Madurai hotels

Chennai, India
Reviewed 9 June 2012

I had visited Madurai for temple visit along with my wife. I booked a double bedded a/c room before 3 weeks of my actual stay and also got it confirmed the before my visit. I got down from the railway station in the early morning at 6.30 AM and walked in to this hotel. They gave us room as when i showed booking confirmation number and print out of email copy from Manager P.K Shandrasekhar.

When we entered the room with the service staff, phone came to service staff and he took us back to reception without any word. When we reached reception, staff said to wait for few minutes. We waited...for 1 hr. No response from them. Then I went to reception and asked them, what the problem was.
Then they were looking against each other and not saying anything to us.
Then I asked them "Is there any problem?” Then one guy in the reception said, since we don’t have enough luggages, they cannot give room. I said, “I am coming from Chennai to visit temple and that too for one day, so I took only one bag”.
Then he said,. “No, it’s not enough for allocating room”.
Then He asked for my ID card, I shown him my PAN card and driving license.
Then he said, he wants to see my wife's ID also. Unfortunately, she didn’t bring her ID, and moreover, it was not mentioned in the confirmation email that all the members should have ID cards.

I told him, that, if you need id of all the people who stays there, then it should be mentioned in the email or they have to tell us in advance. I even called them twice before I started from Chennai. They said “everything is fine”.

Then I told the reception guy to call the manager (P.K Shandrasekhar). When we called Shandrasekhar, I asked him why the room is denied for not having enough luggages. Then he starts talking law..and was very rude to us and told me that go and get another room and he disconnects the phone.

I asked receptionist to write in paper the reason for denying the room. First he refused and when i asked for that strongly , then he wrote the reason as " rejected accommodation as not having enough luggage". (still I have the copy of that)

Then we went to another hotel and got a room.

Guys in reception and manager (P.K Shandrasekhar) were so rude and do not know how to behave with guest.
I read from other reviews that there were similar incident happened for others also from the same hotel.
If you are married, please stay away from these guys. I promise you that there are better hotels available in Madurai. Please don’t go to Madurai residency.
I have travelled around the world and in India several times, but this is the first time I am facing this.

Room Tip: Stay away from Madurai Residency.
  • Stayed June 2012, travelled with family
6 Thank prajeshls
Coimbatore, India
Reviewed 4 June 2012

Two days back I had went to Madurai for an official workshop. After reading through the reviews at trip advisor I booked this hotel through their website. Since I went alone, I have chosen a single occupancy AC room which costs 1700 plus taxes. I went with so much of doubts as it was the first time I had chosen this hotel. It was very close to Periyar Bus stand. The hotels exterior and interior design was also excellent. The room they have alloted for me is really worth for the money I had spend on this hotel. The room was spacious and neat. The bed was so good and the blankets and towels were also so neat. They provide a mineral water bottle, shaving kit, dental kit, shower cap, powder, oil, moisturizer, luxury soap and shampoo. Bathroom was also spacious and neat. One more excellent thing to mention is that even though the hotel is situated in a heavy traffic area, no noise came inside the room. The rooms were designed in such a way that it was so peaceful to stay in it.The staffs at the reception were so good and helpful but it will be more good if they try to smile. The complimentary buffet which was provided is of normal taste and I found the restaurant was not so spacious and people struggled to find a seat for the breakfast. Also I heard some people saying that they are waiting for a coffee for more than 15 minutes and the staffs response in the Mandapam Restaurant was not quite good. Overall the hotel is a perfect place to stay and its worth to put your money there.

• Stayed June 2012, travelled solo