“I hope to return soon”

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Coonoor
Ayurveda Yoga Retreat
Perth
“I hope to return soon”
Reviewed 17 February 2012

I spent 6.5 weeks at the Ayurveda Retreat Hospital over December 2011 and January 2012. It was a very satisfying experience where I fully embraced the daily treatments and pampering. My room was large, roomy & very clean I would describe it as Rustic and I love rustic, and It was so comfortable. The rooms are cleaned each day. There has been many positive and descriptive words written here about the docotors, staff and treatments, their helpfullness, smiles and good and caring nature so I won't go into that again here. I found that on several occasions when I needed something, eg a new light bulb and within 5 minutes of mentioning it to management it was being replaced. I found that if you need a little extra or something different in your treatment the therapists and Doctors are only too happy to oblige, you just need to ask nicely, eg I needed more work done on my thigh and the therapist was really helpful and even mentioned to the other therapists that I was to have extra work done in this area in case she was not rostered to do me. The cook Chaggan really looks after his charges and even goes so far as to check up on you if you don't turn up for a meal to make sure you are ok. If you are on the weight loss regime both Chaggan and Mohanji are very attentive to your dietry requiements and ensure that you don't "cheat" Rekha and Kantilal the owners are so very helpful and are only too pleased to be of assistance and to make your stay as comfortable as possible. I am already missing my smiling Angel, Venod who woke me every morning before 6am with the biggest brightest smile when delivering my morning medications. The office manager Venu is always helpful and attentive and I was always treated with the utmost respect and courtesy. Please be aware that the electricity is fluctuating and often goes off and this has nothing to do with the owners. Living just outside of Perth where I do I am used to this anyway so It didn't bother me but it does cause the light bulbs to blow and often the other electric appliances break down because of the fluctuating power, Just mention it nicely to management and within a short time all is fixed again.Also be aware that one day a month the Electricity is turned off from about 9am to 4 pm -this is the action of the power company and not the owners. I do hope I can return again next year. Please feel free to contact me with any questions, my experience was a really positive one and it was my first ever trip to India

Room Tip: I felt that my room D10 is the best. When I opened my door in the morning I could see the sun rising...
  • Stayed December 2011, travelled solo
4 Thank Linda E
Turn Your Opinions into Points!
Turn your opinions into JPMiles
Turn your opinions into PAYBACK Points
*You can enroll in only one programme at a time to earn rewards for reviews.
JPMiles / Payback Arrow
JPMiles / PAYBACK

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (80)
Novosibirsk, Russia
Reviewed 13 December 2011

Hello everybody! I returned from the Retreat just a few days ago where spent three fantastic weeks. I enjoyed every tiny piece of the place in general: the pure environment, beautiful surroundings, nice people, and, of the Retreat, in particular: very generous and kind owners, great doctors who create individual approach to each guest according to his/her needs and health problems, lovely and helpful staff, amazing treatments 2 times a day, yoga and meditation classes, delicious food, and of course, many other interesting activities.
I fell in lovу with that place from the first minute I arrived there and met dear owners - Rekha and Kantilal Chordia. They made me feel that I was at home around close friends and caring people. I felt that I was at the place where I should have come a couple of years ago when my health problems (mental and physical) had started. I didn't do it that time but I was really happy and greatful to the God that He brought me here this time. I felt safe here... safe from all my problems and fears. I fully trusted this place from the first day when I had the consultation with the doctor and had my first treatments. I felt that the combination of all benefits that this place was offering me would perfectly work out for me and it really did... I was blessed to be here and to meet all nice people from all over the world who made me believe that I was not the one in this world who had problems and things to be ashamed of... that no matter what life is beautiful and out there are so many wonderful moments and opportunities that are waiting for me...
Here I learned again how to trust people, I started talking openly to people again, I made a huge step towards raising my self-esteem and self-belief. While being here: practicing yoga and meditation, taking treatments, talking to people and just walking - I found so many answers to the questions which had been bothering me for a long while. I truly believe that the Retreat is a real healing place. I'd never trade this place for an expensive resort in India with numerous amenities and luxurious beaches, because it is a great place not only for healing, but it is also a good place for relaxation and finding harmony of the soul and body, which sometimes we need much more than anything on this planet...
In my opinion, Ayurveda Retreat Hospital is a great place to deal with different health problems, to practice yoga and meditation, to experience real Ayurveda culture, as well as just to relax and try Indian culture.
I'm very thankful to the owners and the staff of the Retreat as well as to each and every person whom I met there! They all are such great people! I'm going to remember all of them forever!

P.S. Please, feel free to ask me any questions about my stay at Ayurveda Retreat Hospital, Coonoor.

Room Tip: Deluxe room is the best option
5 Thank Nastena_tim
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed 8 December 2011

I have just returned from this Ayurveda Yoga Retreat, where I spent 3 weeks doing their Panchakarma Detoxification Plan.
This was my second visit - my first was 7 years ago & I had been longing to return since then.
Before my departure I was a bit worried in case I was being nostalgic about my previous visit or that things may have changed since then. However, my fears were totally unfounded. When I got there it was like returning home - there were so many familiar faces & everyone seemed to remember me from last time. Many of the staff - the yoga instructors, the Ayurveda therapists, the chefs have been there for many years & have become even more experienced & inspiring!
I have worked for over 20 years in the health care profession - as a practitioner of Acupuncture, a Lecturer, Student Clinical Supervisor & also as part of the management team of the well respected International College of Oriental Medicine in the UK, which is accredited by the British Acupuncture Council. With this experience I feel well qualified to judge whether I am receiving genuine, effective health care or not.
I have recommended this retreat in the past & will certainly continue to do so. I notice it has received some negative ratings, of which I am very surprised - both of my stays there were very memorable experiences & I left feeling wonderful. No matter the institution, when many different people & personalities work together in a small place there are bound to be occasional challenges. My advice is to enjoy what you personally are experiencing & not to live vicariously through other's negativities. Accept the healing that is offered from the many spiritual, caring people working there & be grateful & thankful that you have been privileged enough to enjoy this experience.
I paid Euro 99 per day for a simple, clean room with ensuite bathroom & wonderful views of the surrounding mountains, 3 delicious meals tailored to my needs, access to an Ayurvedic doctor anytime I needed him, 5 Ayurveda remedies, 3 wonderful yoga sessions, 2 - 3 treatments per day (massage, body scrubs, steam baths , oil baths reflexology, etc.). I live part-time in London where one can pay this amount for a single good massage! To my mind, this is exceptional value.
While I was there I met people from all over the world & a high percentage of these were returnees. I have only just come home, but already I am looking forward to my next trip!

5 Thank DonnaSKB
India
Reviewed 3 December 2011

Just as a precursor - I will be staying there in a couple of weeks. But everything leading up to it has been grand. The owners were able to work with me on my dates and budget. When a lower-cost room wasn't available, they were kind enough to upgrade me for no increased fee. I also have the intention of coming with an open mind and to enjoy what looks like a great setting in the Nilgiri hills. I will write, of course, post-stay to let all know if it lived up to expectations. Cheers

Stayed December 2011, travelled solo
4 Thank Jonathan T
Coonoor, India
Reviewed 3 December 2011

This is my second stay at the retreat after I stayed here 5 years ago, when I lost nearly 8 kg in 3 weeks! The surroundings are stunning, lush tea plantations and rolling hills covered with trees and best of all clean air without humidity. Staying in one of the cottages with a big black and white marbled bathroom and a spacious room with great views and a flat screen TV makes you feel like staying in a nice hotel.

But instead, you are actually in a hospital and everybody, from the cooks in the kitchen, the massage staff, the yoga and meditation teachers and of course the doctors and herbal specialists are focussed on improving your health.... and it works.

The owners Rekha and Kuntilal are responsible for the miracle of making everything happening on time, the meals, the consultations, the treatments such as massages and steams, the yoga and meditation classes, the free outings and keeping the place tidy and clean to European standards, all of which are not small asks in India.

But last but not least, the enthusiastic staff, who are so lovely and positive towards the patients/guests and always willing to go the extra mile to make us happy.

I stayed during the big cyclone and yes, bad weather and thunderstorms caused power cuts for a while, but that can happen in any country and after all, this is rural India, and these things take time....but staff and management still managed to provide food and treatments..... in time!!!

Room Tip: The cottages are my personal favourites
3 Thank alidnz