Ayurveda Yoga Retreat
US$ 282
US$ 214
Agoda.com
  • Breakfast included
Neemrana's - Wallwood Garden(Coonoor)(Great Value!)
US$ 177
US$ 191
US$ 149
Priceline
Orchid Square Boutique Hotel(Coonoor)(Great Value!)
US$ 55
Teanest(Coonoor)
Hotel Vivek(Coonoor)
  • Restaurant
TripAdvisor
All reviewsdr mouliweight lossmassage ladiesweek stayhealth problemslife changing experienceayurvedic foodaches and painsan open mindtreatment planhuman beingon a daily basisbody and souldaily lifeclean airper daycooking class
Reviewed 29 September 2011

I stayed there for a six weeks the experience was excellant. when I reached I was in a very bad position mentally and physicaly. but after the course of treatment I felt 99% of myself. The Programe organised by Dr.Mouli for my mental and physical well being was excellent. I saw very bad reviews in the foram but I went ahed and had a wonderful stay. All the staff including cooks, therapist and receiption staff were always there to help me. I thank the all mighty for giving me the wonderful opportunity to stay there . Gold bless them all.

• Stayed: September 2011, travelled solo
1  Thank Kalyanidelhi
Reviewed 22 September 2011

I don't usually write reviews but after staying at this retreat I feel I have to warn people. Owners are just out for money and nothing else. The atmosphere was awful and everyone I spoke to felt ripped off. The staff are extremely rude for the fact that you have paid a stupid amount to be there. 95% of people left feeling no better and having gone through so much. Even if they know they can't treat your illness they will let you pay, arrive in India and then tell you this!!! Seriously if you want a real Ayurvedic experience find another place as there are MUCH cheaper places in India!

Obviously it is completely up to you if you visit but don't say you weren't warned! Learn from other peoples mistakes and hold onto your money!!!!!

• Stayed: April 2011, travelled solo
14  Thank worldismyoystercard
ayurveda111, Public Relations Manager at Ayurveda Yoga Retreat, responded to this reviewResponded 30 September 2011

Dear Readers,
We are completely surprised and appalled to the degree that these comments do not hold any truth. We surely feel sorry for this guest who was an epitome of negativity right from the very first day. We have and will stand by our contents stated in our web-site and this guest's comments about our staff being very rude is the first we have ever come across. We have enough evidence to prove that this guest's statement about "95% of guests leaving without feeling any better" is totally false.
We cannot stress enough about the fact that we request the guests time and over again to let us know about any issues/complaints and not wait till the last minute. We try our best to make sure every guests' need is met, but there are some that are completely unreasonable, unfair and totally beyond our control. Some guests tend to take advantage of our Retreat - a very recent example - one guest stayed for 5 weeks, thoroughly enjoyed and benefited from the treatments and stay, but as soon as the owners went out of town, he started making unreasonable demands by asking for a refund for his last week of stay from our manager. These situations are totally uncalled for and this results in guests writing bad reviews on Trip Advisor about us. There are readers who believe the few negative and fabricated reviews.
Then there are guests who come every year and spread the word amongst their friends and family and we are very thankful to them. We wish all our guests - past , present and future a very happy, healthy and blessed life. Also, please choose your place carefully - cheaper always does not mean better, its your health and your decision...

Reviewed 22 September 2011

It has been my pleasure to stay at the Ayurvedic retreat in Conoor for 21 days, and meet Rekha and Kantilal, the owners. They are very personable and caring people who are totally dedicated to pleasing their customers. This place Conoor is very pleasant, up in the mountains in the middle of tea plantations, very beautiful area.... It's definitively a good place in india to come and heal. For the money invested in the stay, you get such an array of treatments, massages, good diet, yoga thrice a day if you care to attend, etc, etc... and much more. You could never get such care anywhere else in the world, ( at least to my knowledge). In other words you get your money worth and beyond!
I personally came quite sick and within a few weeks I already feel better, lighter and stronger. The doctor in residence is very good at what he does and very patient. All the personnel from the massage therapists to the cook and all the cleaning and assisting staff is very helpful and attentive with that special good heart you find in india. Now it is india and I have stayed in india quite a lot. When coming from the West especially, it is imperative to understand that india is not like the West. It is better to approach this retreat stay with a spirit of thankfulness rather than expect to find Western standards. It is Indian standard at its best here at the retreat and I go back with a feeling of great relief for my health and very thankful to all the people involved in making this miracle happen.
My best wishes to Rekha and Kantilal and all the staff!

Dominique, Vermont USA

• Stayed: September 2011, travelled solo
2  Thank Amendola
Reviewed 12 September 2011

Stayed in this resort for six weeks as a student.
Was not sick in arriving, but ended in the hospital arriving back at home...
The owners are the most false and bad people that I know.
During my stay, several guests and even students just left the place, of course without any refund...(but ! free fungus in your room)
And remember... take enough toiletpaper with... jou will need it... and they let you even pay for it...
I hope for everybody that they close this place asap.
Just something good = dr Sundar ! but this guy should better be off in another place !!!

• Stayed: August 2011, travelled solo
11  Thank Justliketotravel
ayurveda111, Public Relations Manager at Ayurveda Yoga Retreat, responded to this reviewResponded 13 September 2011

We are sorry for how this guest feels about our Retreat. While most everybody arrives with a positive attitude , focusing on their goal and depart with a great rejuvenating and life-improving experience, we are just amazed beyond belief that this guest thinks we are a "horrible resort"! ( quoted from his e-mail )We did not have much communication with him , and if he had any issues, we would have been more than happy to resolve them before he left. Here is the e-mail he sent us "I played the last week your game and was friendly and nice... but you should know that it was because it heard from everybody how stupid and false you both are !!!
Sitting in front of your room and pray will not help you...
Enjoy the nice remarks on tripadvisor..."

He claims to be a professor of theology - atleast he could have worded correctly with proper English grammar.
We are sorry that he thinks that praying does not help! Also, he contradicts his own statement by stating that he "played a game of being friendly and nice" . It is very obvious from his e-mail that his thoughts are purely based on hearsay since he seemed a gentleman when he arrived. And no, no guest/student left mid-way, all stayed their scheduled time frame and we gave free treatments to a student who demanded refund the last few days she was there . We request time and over again to everybody - please inform us of any issues the first few days/weeks they are there, but they choose to do this to us the few days before their departure, which becomes very difficult for us to resolve, since we have to be fair to everybody on campus.
We hope and pray that souls like him find peace sometime in their lives...We have no hard feelings against him for writing this review on TripAdvisor.

Reviewed 4 September 2011

I spent 6 weeks in the summer of 2011 at this retreat, which i think is truly a hidden gem. I'm a college student who wanted to spend the summer exploring my interest in holistic health abroad. This retreat more than satisfied by hopes for the summer taking an Ayurveda Basic Therapist course.

A typical day at the Ayurveda and Yoga Retreat Hospital in the Nilgiri Mountains of Coonoor, India begins with yoga at 6:30 a.m. After that, guests of the retreat, including Ayurveda students like me, would typically take a walk in the nearby village, saying hello to young children as they played while waiting for school busses outside their houses.
After the morning walk, it’s time for breakfast. All meals at the retreat are taken at the same time with all the guests. This creates a special sense of family at the hospital. Then, classes in Ayurveda theory begin at 9 a.m. The three other Ayurveda students and I received personalized attention from Dr. Sundar, our teacher, who is a brilliant man-- a Gold Medalist in Ayurveda. After classes we attended practicals, where we learned massage and other Ayurvedic treatments like Abhyangam (full body oil massage), Shirodhara (continuous pouring of medicated oil on the forehead with pendulum motion for specific period of time; used to treat depression, insomnia and headaches), and enema from two of the massage therapists at the retreat, Delma and Neela. Lunch was served at 1:30, and afternoons were largely free for independent travel, walks in the nearby villages, studying, or rest. Some activities during this period included visiting the tea factory in Coonoor, visiting the local market, a spiritual class with Ganesh (the yoga teacher), and a cooking class with the retreat’s cook. Four o’clock was daily tea-time in the garden, when all students and guests would gather to share in conversation, biscuits, and tea. Then, at 4:30 the Ayurveda students and I spent some time in the pharmacy, learning about the herbs and what it takes to prepare medicines for about 15 patients five times per day. Meditation yoga followed at 5:30 and dinner was served at seven.

The staff at the retreat is absolutely wonderful. They are kind, warm, friendly, helpful and true healers. The retreat itself becomes almost like a family since most patients are there for at least 3 weeks and students are there for 6+ weeks at a time. People come from all around the world to this retreat, so it is a really unique experience to meet so many people from so many eclectic backgrounds.

The two doctors - Dr. Sundar who teaches and Dr. Mouli who sees patients - are the best doctors i've had. What I admired most was that at the retreat both Dr. Mouli and Dr. Sundar maintain an integrative perspective on medicine. They do not bash allopathic medicine; they instead advocate integration to prevent disease and treat people rather than symptoms. They exemplify important qualities all doctors should possess: listening, patience, respect, concern, and love for their patients. They got to know the people they were treating, and in turn the patients received the full benefit of holistic treatment. They say their greatest reward is having a patient say, “I feel better now.” Both doctors live with their families on the premises of the retreat, so if there are any problems they are right there all the time. People come from around the world with various issues. Some of the people I met at the retreat were struggling with depression, insomnia, skin issues, quitting cigarettes, weight management, cancer, migraines, and a number of other diseases.

I would recommend this place to anyone hoping to get away from the "real world" for a little while to relax, detox, receive treatment, or to learn through one of their courses. For patients and students they even offer extra courses on the weekend in reflexology and reiki which is a great way to come away from your trip with a whole new set of useful skills.

Though some people complained about the owners in their posts, I did NOT have anything close to a negative experience with them. In fact, i found them to be pleasant and committed to making sure guests were comfortable. One of the misconceptions that i think some people have had prior to coming to the retreat is that they think the place is a luxury resort. It's not. It's a retreat and hospital in India that focuses on treating patients, improving their overall wellbeing, and providing a place where people can relax.

The retreat changed my life and all the amazing people i met changed my perspective on so many things.I think about my time at the retreat often. I would definitely recommend this place to friends and family, and i hope to return again one day. If you have any questions, please feel free to message me!

Room Tip: The rooms are basic but comfortable. This is not a luxury spa, this is India.
  • Stayed: July 2011, travelled solo