All reviews rooftop restaurant lake pichola city palace small balcony heritage hotel narrow lanes fabulous location old city hotel is located night view approach road enjoy the view the ground floor bagore ki haveli hot water room service is tuk tuk
Reviewed 29 September 2017

I wish I could write more in praise of the hotel. But I can't. The location is brilliant, and the rooftop terrace restaurant offers unmatched views of the Lake, and the city beyond. One can spend an entire evening just hanging here, watching the waters and the palace on the other side, and not get bored. Even the rooms that face the lake have fantastic views.

The food is also good - they take extra care to make authentic food if one asks for it.

But these do not cover for the facts that the hotel badly needs maintenance - a coat of paint in the rooms with peeling plaster will be good. The corners of the room (207) look like they have not been cleaned for a century, caked with dirt as they are. And service is mixed and indifferent - slow to respond, clueless when they do (be prepared to repeat instructions many times, for a glass of water at the breakfast restaurant or for a clean bedsheet in the room). The only time the staff (the porters in particularly) show any interest in you is when you check-in, in the hope of tips - seven of them showed up at our door to carry three bags and then just hung around.

The hotel can be great, but fails due to lack of interest and some degree of complacency.

Room Tip: Stay in Deluxe rooms on the second floor that offer a view of the lake.
  • Stayed: September 2017, travelled with family
2  Thank anirban72
Reviewed 25 September 2017 via mobile

The only reason that we chose LPH was its location, right by Pichola lake. We forked out a bit more to have our room look over the lake, it was the right decision. We stayed there for 5 nights and our stay was a delight. Like all the old built, it might need a freshing up and it can be noisy, but on the up side, it's has its old charm and character which modern hotel lacked, all the staff members are so friendly and helpful, single out Mr security guard man(I should know his name) I dropped my wallet on my way out and was panicked when I realised I have lost my cards and money, it turned out this honest man kept it for me (as I dropped it at the front of the hotel) 'lucky man' said, indeed. At the end of our stay, the hotel surprised us by gave us a massive cake, for some unknown reason. By the way, have I mentioned a pool of the rooftop look over the old town?

Stayed: September 2017, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Tea S
Reviewed 24 September 2017 via mobile

We were on an organized tour and added Udaipur as an independent side trip for 4 days (2 women).
I searched Trip Advisor prior to booking and can't believe how disappointed I was upon arrival. I'd booked a twin deluxe lake view room.
The room was tiny and very tired looking, everything is just that bit dirty - around the light switches and the bathroom grout/plug hole, toilet seat loose and too small for the toilet, the old dirty phone, chipped paintwork on walls and furniture and a miss match of furniture which just didn't work in the space.
The safe just sits in the cupboard (and could easily be removed) and there is no bar fridge to keep water or drinks cool.
Our room had a small balcony which was lovely to sit on, with roll up bamboo type shutters (which were very faded, dusty and broken strings). As the balcony was separated from the room by windows and a door it felt especially cramped.
We moved rooms to where the balcony was part of the room - offering an internal daybed area which was better especially for mozzies/bugs, and the bathroom had a walk in shower compared to the earlier room with it over the bath.
It lacks attention to detail - little things like chipped paintwork, broken furniture, broken light fittings, patchy paintwork and at one point a very nasty sewerage smell.

This is the only hotel during our entire trip who only supplied one bottle of water per day - the other hotels gave us an abundance of water without question. We also needed to ask for toilet paper which was left for us to re-load into the holder (sounds petty but it's a hotel not Airbnb).
We weren't told about needing to leave the key for housekeeping - they don't attend if you don't. And there was a clear expectation that the room porters wanted a tip (we had 3 come to our room upon arrival for 2 bags - 1 bag each and 1 to unlock the door) we didn't have small change and the hovered around awkwardly before leaving empty handed.

The rooftop deck/bar/restaurant offers fantastic views especially at sunset - it could be rather hot during the day as it is in full sunlight with no shade. The day beds have some curtains but upon inspection they are mouldy - the pool looks great in photos but is in fact a rubber sided elevated pool (quite faded and patched in several places) they have built around the pool giving it a built in look but it's elevated and you use an old plastic ladder that isn't secured to get into the pool - the surround has been painted black and is peeling/looks shocking. We were given white (grayish) bathroom towels to use at the pool, other guests were given blue/white striped ones.
Honestly this hotel could absolutely be one of the best in Udaipur if management lifted their game - and attention to detail. The staff although pleasant are slow and you constantly have to ask for things - if they actually asked if we wanted a drink whilst in the pool we would have had several, we literally had to yell for attention (I was wet and in bathers so didn't want to walk into the bar/restaurant like that) they don't bring ice for drinks (I've never before been serviced a gin & tonic with the gin alone in the glass and a can of tonic on the side) the pool cabana's had no covers on the mattresses the day we went

I would class this as a 2-3 star hotel and if it wasn't for its location on Lake Pichola with fabulous views I think I would have left the hotel after the 1st night. By the 3rd day I had settled down and just accepted the hotel for what it was, it was pleasant but could be sooooooo much more - I feel it's a lost opportunity to be a great boutique hotel.

Stayed: September 2017
3  Thank kidsb4me
Reviewed 14 September 2017 via mobile

Its always been a pleasure to this hotel,especially to stay in lakeside room.Morning rays of sun reflect inside room,amazing to have early morning tea sitting on window side.
Room is big enough with arrangement of sitting (can be used for sleeping too)alongside of windows

The best part is to have dinner on their terrace .what an ambience,light music,candles and city palace lights on lake.Remember to book in advance even if you are staying in the hotel.This is wonderful experience so book table even if yot are staying out.Spa is also available

Best place for a leisure trip
They can add variety though in buffet breakfast,quality is good

Approch to hotel is narrow,but you can hire cab through hotel,which comes on the gate and is reasonable

One of the very good places to stay and have lakeside view and great ambience for dinner on terrace

Stayed: September 2017, travelled on business
Reviewed 6 September 2017 via mobile

It's a good location hotel with enough space to cherish lake pichola

A nice roof top restaurant is an jewel in the crown

Some improvements scope are :
- Food quality can be improved
- hygiene which makes the difference between a good and best hotel is missing
- if the hotel checks some basic things it could turn out to be a very good place to cherish Udaipur

:) enjoy Udaipur ( city of lakes and peace )

Stayed: September 2017, travelled on business