“Wonderful, over the top, fantastic hotel”

Taj Lake Palace Udaipur
Ranked #2 of 161 Hotels in Udaipur
NJ
“Wonderful, over the top, fantastic hotel”
Reviewed 25 August 2012

What more can be said about this hotel.

The Taj lake palace is all that and a bag of chips.

I had an extra day and decided to spend it at the Taj.

Arriving by car to the dock one is greeted warmly and the boat ride out to the property builds the anticipation. Upon seeing the hotel it is a fantasy. The hotel took my breath away. The beautiful garden courtyard, the architecture, the views of the lake. When I got the room it was like a jewel box with the most splendid view.

I arranged through the concierge a half day guided driving tour of the local sights: several temples, palaces and others. All spectacular. I had the massage on the spa boat. Wow, really a unique experience and highly recommended. I caught the last bits of the tribal music and dancing show, really nice. The meals were all great but the highlight was the dinner at the Indian restaurant where I had the tasting menu, simply excellent array of perfectly done India dishes. Further the chef came out to check on everything.

In general the staff are quite acomodating and helpful. There were a few communicaton glitces howver, nothng major.

Among other things, the hotel upgraded me to a better room without asking for it. That was a very pleasant surprise. I was also upgraaded to a higher end car on the trip back to the airport.

Overall a truly spectacular hotel, beautiful and very relaxing. Highly recommended.

• Stayed August 2012, travelled as a couple
Turn Your Opinions into Points!
Turn your opinions into JPMiles
Turn your opinions into PAYBACK Points
*You can enroll in only one programme at a time to earn rewards for reviews.
JPMiles / Payback Arrow
JPMiles / PAYBACK

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (654)
  • Arabic first
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Finnish first
  • Korean first
  • Turkish first
Alexandria, Virginia
Reviewed 23 August 2012

Following my son's wedding in Delhi, the rest of the family splurged by spending our last 2 days and night at the Lake Palace Hotel. Every need was anticipated by the staff before we had time to think of it. Upon our arrival by boat launch we were showered with rose petals. Our son proposed at the Lake Palace Hotel a year earlier, and we were fortunate enough to stay there. My husband and I stayed in the Peacock Palace room.

Room Tip: The Peacock Palace room has a hot tub, dining area, a swing!, and a gorgeous view of the water from...
  • Stayed February 2012, travelled with family
India
Reviewed 20 August 2012

I just stayed for one night but I don't have words to express for Taj Lake Palace. Property, Food, Staff and everything is beyond the expectation. I stayed in Chandraprakash Suite which is totally depicting to king like style staying thing. A perfect place for new wedded couple or honeymooner's. The whole process from a warm welcome till delightful good bye everything is more than a expectation. Must go.

Room Tip: Chandraprakash Suite is best in terms of location and the size of room.
  • Stayed June 2012, travelled with friends
1 Thank kk0990
New York
Reviewed 18 August 2012

How can you ever compete with an upon arrival rose petal shower?? I ask you!! NO comparison with any other hotel I've ever stayed in--and I've been to many. This is a must see all in itself. I stayed two nights and longed to change my ticket to Jaipur to stay longer, The staff is a pleasure, kind and professional. They anticipate your needs--I mean that by if they hear you like something, that something is waiting for you. They arrange everything without being intrusive. I got a late night phone call from a friend and was out. They discretely gave me the message, time and details of the call. They were friendly and warm and offer free boat tours from the hotel around Lake Pichola. It was magical, this hotel. There is an astrologer there who can read your palm in a mysterious way. There is a flute player on the top of the palace and the dance show every evening--a cultural feast. The palace it like a museum and the rooms are detailed and luxurious. I can go on about the breakfast, the Lily Pond, the Spa, the pool, the hot and cold jacuzzis!! I did not want to tour Udaipur--I just wanted to stay in the hotel forever!!! You can also go on the Spa Boat if you want. I'm telling you--GO TO THIS HOTEL...just DO IT.!!!

Room Tip: I don't think it is possible to even get a bad room.
  • Stayed July 2012, travelled with friends
1 Thank jacquelineNewYork
Jakarta, Indonesia
Reviewed 17 August 2012

If you want a royal treat and want to enjoy a princely stay in Udaipur look no further than the Taj Lake Palace. We booked a 7 day Rajasthan tour from Antilog Vacations.The tour opertor known for its good quality tours & discounts arranged our stay here in Taj & it was just a delight staying here.
It is a historical building, basically an old palace turned into a boutique resort and from the moment you enter, you can feel opulence breathing down your neck. The interiors are unbelievably well decorated with immaculate white marble adorning the walls.
We were initially offered a room to wait till my room was finalized, where in we were given welcome drinks and wiping tissues. The room was a fantastic lake view room. It was around 650 square feet with pictures and sculptures thronging the wall. The waiters will really spoil you with their constant efforts to please you and make you feel at home.
The food was lip tasty and the buffet seemed never ending. The mutton biryani was really well made and it kept a lingering taste in my mouth. Here the dining come entertainment concept is given a whole new meaning with an elaborate arrangement for the guests’ amusement. A guy was playing the santoor on the first day and we ended up capturing a wonderful video of the melodious sound. Over the course of our stay we also saw some other magnificent shows like – a cultural walk through the palace, a puppet show involving two Rajasthani puppets and a cultural dance extravaganza. The resort also provided cabs on request for pickup and drop.
Thus, if you are looking to visit Udaipur for sight-seeing and visiting places I would advise you not to stay at this hotel. You tend to feel so spoilt by the services and ambience that you end up spending all your time indoors soaking in the lavishness of the Taj Lake Palace!! Jokes apart, this is a wonderful resort and is definitely highly recommended.

• Stayed August 2012, travelled as a couple