“Once in a life time experience!! A fantastic place to stay, Best Ever!” 5 of 5 bubbles
Review of Taj Lake Palace Udaipur

Taj Lake Palace Udaipur
Ranked #1 of 151 Hotels in Udaipur
Napa, California
“Once in a life time experience!! A fantastic place to stay, Best Ever!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 30 May 2012

I had avoided going to this hotel for last forty years thinking it is so hyped I'm sure to be disappointed. Only three days of stay last January proved me how wrong I was. My first opportunity to stay there was on my honeymoon in January 1967. My wife's very close friend was managing the hotel at the time. Thank god this time my daughter convinced me to stay there even if it is expensive. We went there five of us, my wife daughter her American husband and our grand daughter. It turned out to be the best experience of our life. The place is magical, weather absolutely gorgeous and the service is phenomenal! I have stayed at the Raffles in Singapore, Westin Hotels all over the world a few Four Seasons, Riitz , Grand Hotels in Stockholm & Saltsabojan, and many boutique hotels , but, never has there been a hotel with a service like this. It truly makes you feel like a MAHARAJA, even though I hated the term while growing up. People at every position will exceed your expectations. Their warmth and charm will overwhelm you. It certainly did all of us including my four year old grand daughter who asked can we come back here soon!
Just do not worry. It is a palace after all and managed by Tata Group, one of the best in hospitality industry. Every room looks out on the lake and the lake is full of water unlike when James Bond movie "Octopu..." was filmed here. Those were the drought years. Now Rajasthan government has made special provision to divert water from a river so lake never runs dry. By the way do not miss the evening music and dance performance at the hotel of Rajasthani folk music and dance, the music will delight you and the beauty and the grace of the dancer will melt your heart!"Just do not worry. It is a palace after all and managed by Tata Group, one of the best in hospitality industry. Every room looks out on the lake and the lake is full of water unlike when "Octop..." was filmed here. Those were the drought years. Now Rajasthan government has made special provision to divert water from a river so lake never runs dry. By the way do not miss the evening music and dance performance at the hotel of Rajasthani folk music and dance, the music will delight you and the beauty and the grace of the dancer will melt your heart!.

Room Tip: "Every room is fabulous and has great views of the lake. South side in winter and north in wint...
  • Stayed January 2012, travelled with family
4 Thank Rpfromnapa
Turn Your Opinions into Points!
Turn your opinions into JPMiles
Turn your opinions into PAYBACK Points
*You can enroll in only one programme at a time to earn rewards for reviews.
JPMiles / Payback Arrow
JPMiles / PAYBACK

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (629)
  • Arabic first
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Finnish first
  • Korean first
  • Turkish first
Celebration, Florida
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 28 May 2012

If there was a heaven on earth this would be it!!!! This was the second Taj Hotel that we stayed at during our two week trip to India for our 25th wedding anniversary. The boat ride to the palace was wonderful and of course when you arrive they shower you with rose petals and bring you a refreshing drink. The palace was in the James Bond movie, and we found it amusing to be watching the movie later that night in bed while at the palace. When we arrived they realized we were celebrating our 25th anniversary so they upgraded us at no charge to a beautiful suite that was over the top. The main bedroom had a decorative swing with cushion, hanging from the ceiling that we could sit on and it made for wonderful pictures. There was a huge whirlpool tub that to my surprise was filled with rose petals and ready for a bubble bath upon our return from dinner!! They brought us a cake and 25 long stem roses and we always had chocolates at night after they turned down the bed for the evening. They have dancers and musicians every night in the courtyard performing regional dances while we were enjoying our drinks and snacks from the bar located near by. The palace has amazing restaurants and we had delicious food the entire time we were there. The roof top restaurant has a stunning view of the City Palace on the mainland and has been rated one of the top restaurants in the world for views while dinning. My husband, who is of Indian descent, and I dressed in our fancy Indian attire and had a magical dinning experience. As the sun went down and it got cooler they brought out beautiful wrought iron elevated fire boxes to keep us warm. The swimming pool area was beautiful and the spa treatment I had was wonderful as well. After an 8 hour drive from Jaipur I really needed a massage. The staff is exceptional in every way and we found that to be true at the other Taj location that we stayed at in Jaipur. Traveling by boat to the mainland to see the sights was enjoyable and we didn't feel that this was a problem at all as it is great to be out on the water and it is only a 5-8 minute ride to land. My only regret is that we were here only 2 nights and I would recommend at least 3 nights so that you can see everything in the area. I have been fortunate to have been able to travel to many wonderful countries and stay at beautiful places all around the world, but this is really on another level all together. The beauty of the palace's architecture, the service and the natural surroundings made this the most unique place I have ever visited. This was my first trip to India and my husband had not been in 40 years so he spoiled me on this trip and I would recommend the Taj Lake Palace or any Taj Hotel while you are staying in India.

• Stayed December 2011, travelled with family
6 Thank Leigh34747
Jersey City, NJ, USA
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 28 May 2012

Have you ever fantasized about being transported to a magical place, the kind of setting that you've never experienced in your entire lifetime? Well, a stay at the Lake Palace in Udaipur, India is such an experience. For any special occasion, this is the place to go ! The rooms, suites, service, cuisine, views, everything (!) are not to be believed !

Room Tip: Ask for a room with a view towards the sunset !
  • Stayed November 2011, travelled as a couple
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 27 May 2012

We stayed for 3 nights and it was fantastic! I have never seen so many rose petals in my life right from stepping off the boat to my spa bath. Every evening we had sundowner drinks on the balcony watching the sunset in the most romantic setting. Staff remembered every detail about us - what we liked to drink, how we preferred our meals and what we had done during the day. They were really connected and friendly. They made the effort to prepare special meals for us according to our likes in Neel Kamal. And by the way the food was amazing. The staff at breakfast even checked if we needed water to take for the day because it was going to be hot. We had a wonderful spa treatment in the Jiva Spa boat which should not be missed. This far exceeded expectations in every way - from the look, the treatments, the facilities and the overall wow experience. Loved every minute of our stay. Superb service!

• Stayed May 2012, travelled as a couple
Belo Horizonte- Brazil
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 26 May 2012

Taj is a palace hotel, a magic and wonderful place.Rooms are big, confortable, bed with pillow menus, goods restaurants inside.
Hotel is in a island in Udaipur lake.Location is excellente for the view, for staying in the middle of tle lake, But otherwise if you want go to Udaipur, you have to take hotel boat.So, location, is good or bad, depends on what you want.A bit priced, but it´s worth.

• Stayed April 2012, travelled solo