“Poor room in a good hotel.”
Review of Trident Udaipur

Trident Udaipur
Ranked #4 of 156 Hotels in Udaipur
London, United Kingdom
“Poor room in a good hotel.”
Reviewed 23 February 2012

Our stay was below the high Oberoi standards.

During our tour of Rajasthan we had previously enjoyed excellent stays at The Oberoi Maidens, Delhi and Oberoi Trident, Jaipur; our expectations were high. Alas our 3 night stay threw up a few disappointments.
Our arrival at 9pm, after a day of touring/travelling, coincided with a Hindu grooms wedding celebrations. After a jostle through the wedding guest crowds outside and inside of the reception we were swiftly registered and shown to room 116. The room was reached down two flights of stairs, no lift. On entering the room I noticed gifts; not for us but for a wedding guest. These were removed and the mini bar restocked? The room was cold (a cool 8f February night in Udaipur) and before going to eat dinner I raised the air con to 21F.
The meal with wine was excellent and very well served.
On returning to our room we swiftly got into the bed as the room was still cold. The air con was little more than a fan.
Our sleep unfortunately was repeatedly broken by in house phone calls from Indian wedding guests looking to speak with the "original" room booking. Then at 3.30am we were once again woken, this time by wedding guests in the corridor returning merrily after the first nights celebrations. A further wrong phone call woke us at 8am. A cold, sleep disturbed night.
Taking my shower I noticed that the enamel to the bath was wearing thin with spots of rust coming through. On cleaning my teeth I observed a cracked sink and the two bathroom tumblers contained residue dry toothpaste!!!!!
In a mean mood I took my concerns to the reception desk. The front house manager apologised and he said those areas he could remedy would be done so immediately. After a good breakfast we returned to our room (no change possible) to find a heater, a blanket, clean tumblers, a cake, half a bottle of Sula merlot and a letter of apology. Thankfully the phone calls ceased, the noisy guests in the corridor did not until night 3; the wedding guests had by then left.
We chose not to use the pool, nor did any other guest, as to have done so would have been offensive to the hundreds of finely dressed wedding guests passing through to the buffets held behind the swimming pool.
On a positive side the waiting staff, food and gardens were excellent.
I am sure with the allocation of a better room and the floor/wing segregation of tourists from party guests I would have been satisfied with my stay as I was at the Trident Jaipur.

Room Tip: Request when booking a quiet room with heating during the winter months.
  • Stayed February 2012, travelled as a couple
1 Thank GJholiday
Trident-Udaipur, General Manager at Trident Udaipur, responded to this review, 6 March 2012
Dear Guest

I would like to thank you for taking out precious time of yours to share your experience with us following your recent visit to Trident Udaipur.

My sincere apologies for the inconvenience caused owing to late returning guests, incorrect calls and inadequacies in housekeeping services. I have taken up your comments in all seriousness it deserves and initiated remedial action.

I have conveyed your generous comments to the food and beverage team which are truly inspiring for them.

We look forward to welcome you back to Trident on your return to Udaipur. I take this opportunity to assure you of our best services and attention at all times.

dhiraj.mehta@tridenthotels.com
Turn Your Opinions into Points!
Turn your opinions into JPMiles
Turn your opinions into PAYBACK Points
*You can enroll in only one programme at a time to earn rewards for reviews.
JPMiles / Payback Arrow
JPMiles / PAYBACK

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (731)
  • Hebrew first
New Delhi, India
Reviewed 22 February 2012

I stayed at Trident for 3 days 2 nights from Feb 18 to Feb 20, 2012. General check in time is 12 pm. Our train scheduled time was early morning and we reached hotel around 8 am. We were welcome with roses bunch (our marriage anniversary) and welcome drink of Watermelon juice. Staff attended us immediately and explained about the property. Unfortunately there was no vacant room (for early check in) as there was already heavy booking with lots of guests in hotel and corporate conferences going on during that time.
We had booked pool view room and requested if we can get any room to rest untill our room is available. With in 30-40 minutes they provided us room to rest and freshen up. Later on they made our room available.

Hotel is located near wall city, away from small crowded traffic roads of city, still easily accessible, near lake Pichola. Autos and taxis are available outside hotel gate to take you for City trip. You need to bargain since they will ask for more money as you are coming out of Trident :-).

Hotel surrondings are beautiful, lot of trees, big garden, play area for kids etc. For a morning walk you don't need to go out of the four walls of hotel because it is such a big and beautiful place, you may not feel like going out.

Rooms, lobby, restaurants and other parts of hotels are maintained very well, rooms are clean with all fascilities, coffee maker, fridge, TV with cable, locker etc. We were able to see many peecocks roaming around pool side in the morning.

Food is excellent with lot of variety from Indian to Continental. Restaurant staff was prompt, courteous and helpful. Met our all demands and suggested food choices during breakfast time.

Staff at gate security, reception, gate keeper, restaurant, housekeeping, hotel lobby, pool side were very polite, smiling and friendly. Every time we asked reception staff they guided us about city, places to visit, good restaurant in city and how to get to different places.

Reasonable deal with so many fascilities of 5 star hotel. Can't ask for more and have to say "Me and my family loved it" . I wish I had more time and could stay over there to relax & enjoy. I would love to revisit Udaiput and stay in Trident only.

• Stayed February 2012, travelled with family
1 Thank Roopesh B
Trident-Udaipur, General Manager at Trident Udaipur, responded to this review, 14 March 2012
Dear Guest

Thank you for your kind comments and sparing time to post a review on the hotel and its services.

The team is "over the moon" that they came up to your expectations.

We try hard to live up to our ethos and I am delighted that we have achieved that in small measure for you.

Hope to see you returning to Trident Udaipur again and again.

Brussels, Belgium
Reviewed 22 February 2012

My wife and I stayed at the Trident, Udaipur from 19- 21st Feb 2012 to celebrate our 1st wedding anniversary.

This is a very comfy and plush hotel sharing the grounds with the Oberoi Udaivilas, and offers very good value for money- we felt.

We opted for a garden view room on the lobby level and this gave us a great view of the gardens and the hammocks right outside (on which we spent a lot of time).

The pros:
1. The hotel gardens and grounds are the best part of this place. Green and sprawling and very well kept. You can take walks all over the place and for us these green outdoors is what separates this hotel from the others in Udaipur.

2. The birds and wildlife around the hotel. There are hundreds of squirrels all over the place and quite fearless too. The birds need to be seen to be believed- there were peacocks all over the place, and tons of eagles, sparrows, maynas and many other we couldnt name. Wonderful to hear them chattering away at breakfast time or at dusk.

3. Theres an adjoining wildlife area where the hotel feeds the wild deer and boars at 5pm daily. The numbers of these animals need to be seen to appreciate. Great sight. I dragged my better half on both evenings :)

4. The service levels n ready to help attitude of the staff. Very polite, friendly and attentive. No complaints there.

5. Good restaurant grub- nothing exceptional- the usual good buffet stuff. The live counters should be tried- they are very good.

A single con:
1. the ladies at the front desk for check in and check out. They seemed to be trainees or something beacuse they were supremely incompetent and easily overwhelmed with any kind of task. This was a major put-off. In fact, this was the only blotch on an otherwise great stay. Even before we had checked in, we'd interacted with a lady at the fron desk and got complete misinformation and this was reinforced after staying at the hotel.

Our recomendation:
If u need a hotel to stay in Udaipur and can afford in the range of Leelas, Trident, Sheraton etc.. go for Trident without a doubt.. u will love it. We did! in fact, planning to gift a few days here to our parents maybe :)

Room Tip: The garden view rooms are much better as they have a great, green view of the gardens and hammocks a...
  • Stayed February 2012, travelled as a couple
Dear Guest

It is heartening to get such reviews and, we are delighted that you enjoyed your stay at Trident Udaipur.

My team and I are inspired by your comments and look forward to your continued visits.
It was a pleasure to have been of service to you.

I have taken a serious note of your comments on the front desk team responses and have initiated remedial action. Thank you again for bringing this to my attention.

We take this opportunity to assure you of our best attention and services at all times.

Delhi
Reviewed 22 February 2012

We stayed at the Trident Udaipur on 16th Feb-19th Feb on family vacation; warm welcome and hassle free check in at the reception. Staff was very courteous and friendly. My kid who is 1.3 years old has enjoyed playing in lush green gardens and specially for kids they have kids club which has all the facilities like cricket kit, basketball, play station etc. The F&B services are really great as they came and asked if i want any dish to be prepared for my kid.
All in all it was a great experience and best hospitality I have experienced.

Room Tip: Pool side rooms are better
  • Stayed February 2012, travelled with family
Dear Guest

Thank you for taking the time to share your experience with us. We appreciate your feedback and appreciation. It really works as a great source of inspiration for the team.

Team Trident is pleased to know from your review that their efforts were so well appreciated.

We look forward to the opportunity of welcoming you back on your next visit to Udaipur.

Thank you and best regards.

London, United Kingdom
Reviewed 21 February 2012

We stayed here for 2 nights for New Year and had a fantastic time. The staff seem genuinely friendly and soon built up a rapport with our group and ensured we had a fantastic time particularly at the gala dinner. The hotel put on great show for New Year and it was a great way to see in 2012.

Breakfast was great and eating out on the huge terrace set us up each day. The pool area was really quiet and so we found it really relaxing to spend time here.

The gardens are lovely to walk around and spend time in, beautifully kept.

Room Tip: The lake view rooms do have a view of the lake but don't expect tobe looking out on the Taj Pala...
  • Stayed December 2011, travelled with friends
Dear Guest

Your inspiring review has been shared the entire team.My team and I are glad to know that you enjoyed the New Year celebrations at the hotel, very encouraging for all of us.
It was a pleasure to have been of service to you.

We look forward to welcome you back to Trident Udaipur on your return to Udaipur. I take this opportunity to assure you of our best services and attention at all times.