“Fatehgarh For Specific Bent Of Mind!!”
Review of Hotel Fateh Garh

Hotel Fateh Garh
Reviewed 5 November 2009

I am a travel freak. I hit upon a beautiful destination recently on the recommendation of a friend and that is, Fatehgarh Heritage Resort in Udaipur. When I reached this stunning looking Palace, it was an ‘Ah’ moment for me. Ah, because finally I found a Sanctuary which is eco-friendly, based on the principles of Vaastu, devoid of corridors, escalators and elevators.
I feel this place is meant for a very selective kind of people who find pleasure in simple things and who like to spend time outdoors with nature enjoying the 360 degree views.
Where could I swim in the open right in the lap of Aravalis. I had 2 kids with me and they had a ball. They were too busy going on treks and village walks and horse rides besides of course, swimming. They had carried some games with them which they played on the terrace in the evening while I enjoyed my coffee with a book.

Hats off to Mr Rathore (the brain behind this amazing structure) for his sensitivity towards preserving the eco-system in combination with Vastu Principles. He has put solar panels, sown 30,000 trees all around, and made step wells to conserve energy and store water.

Finally, I must add, my room was very comfortable with all ultra modern facilities. Very warm service and no intrusion in privacy.

• Stayed: October 2009, travelled with family

Reviewed 4 November 2009

This had to be one of the worst hotel experiences of my life. The hotel itself was interesting, but a death trap for kids. I have a toddler and any direction he would head could of been to his death, so we spent most of the time away from the hotel. It claims to be a 5star experience, maybe 2. The food and service were shocking and I overheard a number of people there at the same time as us complaining about the hideous breakfasts and dinners that were inclusive in our stay (which wasn't wasn't cheap). I don't even think you would be happy with the food if you were living in a youth hostel. There has to be at least 50 stairs plus to get to and from your room, there are no facilities at the hotel which happens to be away from everything (which we knew), but we assumed they would cater accordingly.

I don't recommend this hotel to anyone, go to the Trident or Oberoi instead we landed up at the latter. You get no refund from the hotel, it will go down as one of my most stressful holidays. Other than the view, I cant mention one good thing. They should've warned me on booking that this hotel is Not SAFE for toddlers or elderly people as they were made aware of both.

Stay at the Leela or the Oberoi!!

Stayed: November 2009, travelled with family
7  Thank mfw001
fatehgarh, Owner at Hotel Fateh Garh, responded to this reviewResponded 31 July 2012

We would like to bring to everybody's notice that we have a drive way leading upto the ground floor of the property and there is elevator access from this level. We have made a lot of changes since these comments have been posted and have also added a seperate playing area for the kids in our endeavour of the making the property children/toddler friendly.

Reviewed 2 November 2009

We booked largely because of favourable Trip Advisor reviews but we cut short our stay. We left feeling sorry for some of the staff; there is probably a good (3 star) hotel waiting to escape the grip of a poor manager. All of the problems set out below could be easily fixed by competent management.

The building is fairly attractive, the views of Udaipur stunning. The front office staff were eager to help, but largely powerless.

The bad news:

The position, as you cannot use the hotel as a retreat for reasons set out below, is too far from the town.

Our pick-up from the airport did not materialise (despite my ringing 4 hours previously to alert the hotel to a slight delay in our flight) and we had to arrange a taxi from the airport.

On arrival we had to tip the tax driver, endure a ‘traditional village welcome’ (two lines of song repeated until we had given them a tip to stop them singing, and another suggestion we should also pay the person applying a bindi to our foreheads. All the staff had stained and dirty clothes.

Our room was superficially pleasant, although the aircon sounded like a tractor and even on its lowest setting directed a gale straight at the bed. The bathroom was entirely open plan, which was not entirely satisfactory.

Food was served in a small dining room far from the kitchen which introduced an element of farce to meals, not helped by the chipped crockery.

The pool area was very strange. Wind swept, with members of staff staring at you even as you approached the pool, no parasols, 5 ‘sun beds’ comprising mattresses on fixed concrete bases, cold water that looked a little grubby. No guests went near it during our stay.

The 'spa' area was shocking - and empty throughout our stay.

After 2 nights we could stand it no longer. Any doubts we had being dispelled by a hotel workman relieving himself in full view of us while having breakfast. We moved onto the Leela in Udaipur a stunningly good hotel.

One final warning. Bookings are not, despite all appearances to the contrary, dealt with by the hotel but instead by a ‘travel agent’ in the town with full payment being taken in advance. It means that the hotel is not capable of making any adjustments to bills for problems or truncated stays.

• Stayed: October 2009, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Brightsol
fatehgarh, Manager at Hotel Fateh Garh, responded to this reviewResponded 31 July 2012

Thank you for bringing the issue to our notice. We had out-soucred our web-site and they were not able to organise the pick-up for the guest. This was the main reason for the grievance. We have terminated our contract with agency and now deal directly with the clients directly to make sure that their expectations are met.

Reviewed 26 September 2009

Fatehgarh is trully one of the most beautiful and romantic sites that have been created in the last century. The architecture is soo breath taking and its hard to imagine that hotels like these are still made in this day and age.
The service was extremely warm right from the garlanding ceremony at the check in to the check out.
The rooms were immaculate and each room seemed to possess a different style to it.
And how can I not mention the SWIMMING POOL...it was trully peaceful when u lie in the pool and overlook the city of Udaipur.
I would suggest everyone to see Fathehgarh atleast once before you die.

• Stayed: August 2009, travelled with friends
1  Thank TranceManagement
Reviewed 6 August 2009

We stayed in this hotel when it was brand new and absolutely loved it. The view from our room (I think room 27) was breathtaking. It sits slightly outside the centre of Udaipur and has amazing 360 degree views from the entire hotel. The room rates are much cheaper than Devi Garh or Udaivialls but the food is similarly priced to those two hotels.

• Stayed: April 2009, travelled as a couple
2  Thank EDixon
fatehgarh, PR Manager at Hotel Fateh Garh, responded to this reviewResponded 7 August 2009

Thanks for your kind words. We have been selected amongst top 100 best Hotels of World by Conde Nast Travelers Guide. Look forward to have you at FatehGarh again.