All reviews the cottages plunge pool vegetarian food outdoor bath small pond resident crocodile local community rocking chairs national park hot water bottles other guests game drives vegetarian hotel main building before dinner camp fire home grown
Reviewed 4 May 2012

In April 2012, whilst on a 10 day tour in Central India, I had a fascinating and memorable 2 night experience staying in this Luxury Jungle Camp and Hotel. Khem Villas is ideally situated to explore and enjoy the wildlife of Ranthambhore National Park and the Tiger reserve.

The private escorted tour of Central India and the hotels were organised by Mr Arvind of Castle and King of New Delhi .After a few interesting but hectic days in Delhi and Agra I was relieved to arrive in Ranthambhore peacefully by train. I was met at the station by the local Castle and King representative who drove me to the exotic, private 20 acre estate that houses Khem Villas.

Thinking it was (just) another Luxury hotel but nothing in the brochures could have prepared me for the beautiful and peaceful settings of this fabulous Hotel and luxury Jungle Camp. I was greeted on arrival not just with a welcome cold drink but also with a genuine authentic Rajasthan custom involving a tilak mark on the foreheard.Soon I was I was being escorted by torchlight to my very own detached cottage with thatched roof. It had 2 rocking chairs on the private veranda and a view to die for and I was very soon ensconced in the peace and delights of my cottage. Every Luxury I could hope for and a private inside and outside bathroom!

Dinner, served in the open pan covered dining area by the library was own grown, organic, homemade traditional country vegetarian cuisine. Every part of the 3 course feast was well presented and tasty and served by local people in authentic local costumes.

Preparation for early morning Safari arrives in the form of fresh tea and warm cookies delivered to the cottage and enjoyed on the Veranda. We were then swept away in an open jeep to enjoy the wild Tigers and many more animals in Ranthambhore Park. Back for a hearty breakfast at 10.30 am and a few hours to walk round and enjoy the delights of gardens and countryside in the Khem Villas estate before the late afternoon Safari.

The proprietor and Director of Khem Villas,Usha Rathore personally greets all guests. It was a pleasure to rest and relax at Khem Villas for 2 days and nights and I thoroughly recommend it for anyone when visiting Ranthambhore National Park or this area of India. Thanks also to Castle and King, Tour operators of New Delhi for including this gem of a place to rest over on the tour.

Tony Gornall

Room Tip: khem Villas has 16 individual cottages and I stayed one of these.It was idea with AC ,peace and privacy.They also have tents and rooms.
  • Stayed: April 2012, travelled solo
Reviewed 1 May 2012

We stayed in a cottage during the cold January month and we really enjoyed it. We loved our room and enjoyed the private courtyard but we didn’t use the outside bath tub.
The vegetarian food surprised us: great quality and variety. Only the breakfast was a bit poor.
Staff (local people) seemed a bit rude sometimes but probably it had something to do with their poor English.
We did 2 safaris and didn’t see any tigers but we saw a slot bear and lots of other animals. We were really happy with the blankets and hot water bottle supplied by the staff.
We liked the drinks around the camp fire where we could talk to other guests and we loved the little slide show of Usha about the running projects.

• Stayed: January 2012, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 1 May 2012

I have been meaning to write this for 1 1/2 years now. Anyway, we had the most awesome experience of a lifetime at Khem Villas. During out 11 day journey Delhi, Agra, Rajasthan, we stayed at 5 different top 5 start properties and this was the whole family's favorite spot! My kids still talk about it after over 1 1/2 years. This is their fondest memory of India and will stay that way for a lifetime. The tents are very luxurious. People are extremely friendly. The food is great. The scenery is beautiful!! We had 3 chances to go see the tiger and we saw it on our first ride. We saw lots of other animals but of course tiger was the highlight. Just to be clear, we would have loved this property even if we hadn't seen the tiger. The hummus sandwiches they packed for us and the hot thermal packs came in very handy for our early morning safari. We had hot chocolate (for kids) and hot tea waiting when we got back. The camp fire area they have is gorgeous too. They provided hot pakoras in the evening w/tea. There are little trails along the property and so we walked around there. We actually wanted to extend our stay here for a day but that would have ruined our other hotel reservations further down so we couldn't do it. But we really wish we had more time here.

• Stayed: June 2011, travelled with family
Reviewed 25 April 2012

I loved thos hotel, especially the rooms. They had nice beds, and a very "safari-ish" feel to them. Sadly we didn't see any tigers, but that's OK, because the hotel was great! One big problem was the wifi, and the reasoning for the 4 star rating. The wifi was never reliable, and it would even cut out sometimes.

Stayed: January 2012, travelled with family
Usha R, Owner at Khem Villas, responded to this reviewResponded 2 May 2012

Many thanks for your kind review. We appreciate your concern about the Wi Fi. Khem Villas has an unlimited internet access fully paid for with Wi Fi facility in the common area. This facility is provided free of cost to all our guests. The only company providing this broad band connection is BSNL a government owned company. Being 13kms away from the nearest town this service is provided by their rural exchange in Sherpur village. While we at Khem Villas are able to maintain 24hours electrical back up this is not true in the village and though the BSNL exchange does try to maintain uninterrupted power supply to its exchange power cuts can be long and the exchange keeps failing every now and again which is why the connection gets disconnected. We try our best to urge the service providers to provide uninterrupted service but when they are unable to do so it becomes beyond our control. However we will try to put greater effort to try to make this better. We are very sorry that this issue spoiled your stay with us but would like to humbly state that if the internet was uninterrupted it was not intentional but due to circumstances out of our control. We sincerely apologize for this inconvenience.

Reviewed 24 April 2012

I wish it was worth it to come to Ranthambore just for this hotel, but it's not. The hotel is gorgeous and quite a magical place, with beautiful tented rooms, but the staff are a bit rude. Unfortunately, we did not see any tigers, only a "carcass" that very well could have been put out there to entice the tigers and encourage tourists. Also, we saw a sloth bear and a leopard right next to each other, but only very far away up on a hill. The guides and trackers were unhelpful and didn't talk at all. Bottom line is, this is a fantastic hotel but don't expect to see any tigers -- this is not like Africa! Also, the WiFi was shoddy and only worked in the Lobby.

• Stayed: January 2012, travelled with family