“Perfect stay at a perfect resort” 5 of 5 bubbles
Review of The Oberoi Vanyavilas

The Oberoi Vanyavilas
Ranked #1 of 23 Hotels in Sawai Madhopur
Burton upon Trent, United Kingdom
“Perfect stay at a perfect resort”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 8 April 2012

We stayed at the resort in April 2012 with our three children aged 13, 11 and 7. We experienced wonderful hospitality and real care from the team. We were close to the park and so able to experience some excellent safari activity. Afternoons spent by the small but perfectly comfortable pool. Evenings enjoying great fresh food with a particular highlight being the candlelit amphitheatre dinner with our own music and team providing food.

Accommodations were stylish and comfortable and you do feel very close to nature.

You do need to relax in to the pace of the place and once you do you don't want to leave.

Excellent.

Room Tip: We stayed in 305 and 306 which were next to each other but away from others. Nice.
  • Stayed April 2012, travelled with family
3 Thank Partner792
VanyavilasOberoi, General Manager at The Oberoi Vanyavilas, responded to this review, 12 April 2012
Dear Guest,

Thank you for your kind feedback. We are happy to learn that you and your family enjoyed your stay with us and that the facilities provided met your expectations.

Your generous indication of our performance will be a source of inspiration and encourage us to achieve even higher standards.

We are happy to note that you enjoyed the dinner organized at the amphitheatre.

My team and I look forward to the pleasure of welcoming you and your family back again.

Thank you and best regards.
Turn Your Opinions into Points!
Turn your opinions into JPMiles
Turn your opinions into PAYBACK Points
*You can enroll in only one programme at a time to earn rewards for reviews.
JPMiles / Payback Arrow
JPMiles / PAYBACK

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (181)
London
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 5 April 2012

Fabulous, fabulous, fabulous - nothing more to say...apart from the bit about it being exceptionally expensive, but that's forgivable when something is this good :-)

• Stayed May 2011, travelled as a couple
2 Thank KTSE1
Dear Guest,

Thank you for your generous feedback.

We are happy to learn that your visit to our property was pleasant and comfortable and that the facilities provided to you met your expectations.

My team and I look forward to welcoming you back soon again.

Jalandhar, India
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 4 April 2012

Luxurious tenting experience with lot of warmth in the air. Well appointed Luxury tents having all the amenities of a The GM Ms. Ratna takes personal interest in customers' requirements. She leads the team which goes all out assist the guests and give them best possible service. Unwind in the spa before you set out for the morning of afternoon jungle safari. Overall a wonderful and unforgettable experience. Compliments to the GM and her team.

• Stayed October 2011, travelled with family
    • 4 of 5 bubbles
2 Thank Amardeep S
VanyavilasOberoi, General Manager at The Oberoi Vanyavilas, responded to this review, 14 April 2012
Dear Guest,

Thank you for your generous feedback.

We are glad that you enjoyed the Spa facilities. My team and I look forward to welcoming you back again.

Delhi
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 3 April 2012

Having visited the other Vilas properties in the Oberoi's portfolio I was slightly hesitant as to the environment for children. I was wrong - more about that in a minute.

We traveled down from Delhi by train and after some confusion with the name of the guests the hotel were meant to collect we were met at the station. In arrival at the hotel we were greeted by the resident elephants and the customary cold towel and greeting ceremony. What we didn't expect was to be greeted by the GM Ratna Malhotra who profusely apologized about the mix up at the station.This was a genuine surprise that she took the time out to apologize in person.

We were then guided to our room and on arrival there were cookies with the children's names on them which which was a wonderful personnel touch.

We had booked a safari for teh following afternoon and felt it was too hot for the children and requested that for it to be changed to a morning drive. This was done without any bother at all.

The following day we got up for our drive and were given morning tea in the lobby. We left an hour late for our drive and there was never any sense of rush by the hotel which was a pleasure. The children were given some breakfast pastries to tide them over whilst on the drive - this was a very thoughtful touch.

On return after breakfast the children were taken on a treasure hunt which they adored and later in teh afternoon the planted a tree which will remain in their name with a painted board underneath. I went to the gym which was simple but adequate. Whilst I was there the electricity went not wanting to make a fuss I mentioned it retrospectively - the head of housekeeping (I think) visited us in our room to apologize for any inconvenience and said that there would attendant there for me tomorrow - Small issues happen in any hotel but its the way they are dealt with that raises a good hotel to an amazing one.

We had previously informed the hotel that it was my sons birthday if they could do something for him and that they shouldn't forget my daughter. For the whole day every member of staff wished my son. Chaitanya Sharma the F & B manager really exceeded himself. In the evening he had arranged a table outdoor for us with private service. He had gone out of his way to create some Tiger striped ravioli - considering squid ink is not available in Ranthambore to make the black stripes this was incredibly thoughtful.

It did not end there after the meal the GM and several other member of staff including the chef appeared out of no where carrying sparklers and presented my son with a cake. For a GM to be so thoughtful and actively involved is incredibly unusual.

The children were exhausted by this stage and we asked if the cake could be served in the room.On arrival to teh room the children's bed were covered in balloons and small packages with little gifts were placed on each of the beds. On our bed there were two towel swans and rose petals and the bath had been filled with rose petals too.

Naturally any signs of sleep soon disappeared and my daughter who is 8 was so touched that she immediately wrote a letter to the staff.

One point not mentioned when we go on holiday we tend to not be the tidiest people in the room which I often feel guilty about each night on returning to the room we found it to be immaculate and beautifully cleaned.

The next day before leaving we wanted to see if there would be any activity teh children could do before leaving as there was nothing as such planned apart from a movie the hotel organised a ride on the elephants for the children and they were chaperoned by the F & B manager himself.

It would be extremely unfair for me to single out any one member of staff since even the people working in the background went to make this a memorable occasion.

Room Tip: There are only 25 rooms in teh resort and we were assured that they were all identical the place is...
  • Stayed March 2012, travelled with family
    • 4 of 5 bubbles
3 Thank Atothepowerof4
VanyavilasOberoi, General Manager at The Oberoi Vanyavilas, responded to this review, 13 April 2012
Dear Guest,

Thank you for your generous feedback. We are happy to learn that you enjoyed your stay with us and that the facilities provided met your expectations.

We sincerely regret the inconvenience caused to you at the railway station and have taken corrective measures to prevent recurrence of the same.

New York City, New York, USA
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 3 April 2012

It is very uncommon for me to take the time to provide formal feedback. In fact, this is my first tripadvisor.com review. But following a recent stay at the Oberoi Vanyavilas, I feel quite compelled to post a comment here.

I can think of several Asian-inspired hotel brands -- Shangri La, Banyan Tree, The Mandarin Oriental, and of course The Oberoi -- that command great fanfare for the quality standards they maintain, both in terms of appearance and service. When I have a choice of stay, these have long been the brands I prefer. The beauty of the grounds at Vanyavilas and the quality of the room itself were every bit as spectacular as we have come to expect of an Oberoi property and, at just one look, served to further reinforce my preconceived notion that the Oberoi's place in the company of these other fine brands is well deserved.

However, it was the standard of service that we experienced at Vanyavilas that has forever elevated my perception of the Oberoi and has truly set it apart from the brands I had heretofore mistakenly considered its peers. Specifically, wherever the hotel manager or her staff saw an opportunity to improve upon our experience, they embraced it. For instance, I practically had forgotten it was my birthday, but before checking out I was escorted to a ceremonial spot of the hotel grounds decorated in my honor and, at the center of the display, I discovered a tiger-shaped cake made especially for my birthday. What's more, the staff went out of their way to accommodate my dietary restrictions, including with the birthday cake, which was vegan. Additionally, earlier in my stay, my fiance and I were treated to a spa service as an unexpected and more-than-generous apology for an accidental mix-up that had occurred in the kitchen. It was this latter point, alongside the manager's genuine empathy, that especially impressed me. To err is human, but in my experience, to turn a negative into a positive is truly rare -- even among the most elite brands.

I should add, as well, that we are planning a three-week trip to India for my fiance's mother in the coming year. As a result of our experience, we will now be planning for her to be booked virtually every night exclusively at an Oberoi property.

Our experience is surely a credit to the hotel manager's personal character, attention to detail, management style, the Oberoi's ability as an organization to identify, recruit and train talented hospitality managers, and probably most importantly to the willingness of the organization to promote and retain deserving staff members who have earned the opportunity to expand their set of responsibilities.

I do not delude myself into thinking that superb hotel managers can be easily replicated, but I also don't believe this experience was an accident. I suspect it speaks to a corporate culture that the Oberoi has built within its organization. In any case, wherever my next trip brings me, because of this experience, my first look will be for an Oberoi property. And if one cannot be found, perhaps it is not my choice of hotel that ought to be reconsidered, but rather my destination.

Room Tip: stayed in Villa 107. It was a fantastic villa, but I suspect the others are fantastic, as well.
  • Stayed March 2012, travelled as a couple
Dear Guest,

Thank you for your kind feedback. We are happy to learn that you enjoyed your stay with us and that the facilities provided met your expectations.

We are really looking forward to having your fiance’s mother stay with us and will be very happy to plan the itinerary for her .

My team and I look forward to the pleasure of welcoming you back again on many many more happy occasions to follow!