“Very relaxing, peaceful oasis”
Review of Ratan Vilas

and 1 more site!
Ratan Vilas
Ranked #2 of 99 Hotels in Jodhpur
Toronto
“Very relaxing, peaceful oasis”
Reviewed 20 March 2012 via mobile

I stayed there recently for two nights, and had the most relaxing and peaceful time. It is a graceful and pretty oasis in a quite chaotic city. My room was spotless, comfortable bed, good air conditioning, beautiful surroundings and gardens, nice looking pool. I found the staff very prompt, attentive, and gracious as was the owner.

Drawbacks if any were pool too cold for me to enjoy and it was hot out, but there was one family who did swim while I was there so perhaps that is just me, as I prefer a bit of heat in a pool, the water must have been close to 20-22 degrees C, the other drawback which is also a positive is that it is a bit out of the city, so maybe a 10 to 15 minute drive in. However it is also nice to be out of the city a little.

All in all highly recommended with comfortable rooms, and very. Ery helpful and gracious staff. I should also mention. I liked the food so much I ate my dinner there both nights, and I was glad I did. Very very good food, and breakfast buffet was also delicious. I found the wait staff very very prompt, and appropriately attentive. Very very nice touch was the packed breakfast in a box when I was departing arly for Jalismar.

Stayed March 2012
1 Thank momtoemma
, Owner at Ratan Vilas, responded to this review, 21 April 2012
Dear Guest,
Thank you.
We truly are grateful that you decided to stay with us and took time out to write such a glowing review.
I wish we could have a heated pool as our peak tourist season is from November to February and that’s when the water is uncomfortably cold to swim in.
I am quite certain that at some point we will manage to install a cost effective heating system.
We look forward to welcoming you at Ratan Vilas again.
With warmest regards
Brijraj Singh
Turn Your Opinions into Points!
Turn your opinions into JPMiles
Turn your opinions into PAYBACK Points
*You can enroll in only one programme at a time to earn rewards for reviews.
JPMiles / Payback Arrow
JPMiles / PAYBACK

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (143)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Indonesian first
Hadley, MA
Reviewed 19 March 2012

This is a heritage hotel with an interesting history. Beautiful peiod colonial furnishings, immaculate public spaces, peaceful and serene, excellent pool, very good food, excellent service. This is elegant in an understated way, impeccable grounds with beautiful landscaping.........this was a real treat and relaxing few days. Thank you

• Stayed March 2012, travelled solo
, Owner at Ratan Vilas, responded to this review, 21 April 2012
Dear Guest,
Thank you for choosing to stay with us and for an encouraging feedback.
We look forward to your next visit at Ratan Vilas.
With best wishes and regards
Brijraj Singh
Cambridge
Reviewed 19 March 2012

We were recommended Ratan Vilas by a French friend in Delhi. Coming by train we arrived into a lovely oasis of calm. The gardens are very pretty - and to our surprise there is a huge, new beautiful swimming pool. If you arrive early in the morning they have a room where you can shower, change and relax. The house is an old villa and it's interesting to look at all the old family photos of playing polo at Windsor.

Our room was upstairs, 101, and was extremely comfortable - with a huge bath. The bed was also enormous and very comfortable.

We had lunch at the wonderful RAAS (recommend that also) near the Clock Tower but we had dinner at Ratan Vilas in the lovely Indian tent looking at the stars which was delicious and really good value - @£15. Definitely try the vegetable jalfrezi - one of the best we have tried.

The staff were incredibly helpful and friendly and made the stay a real pleasure. We want to come back with our children and it's hard to think of many places as nice as Ratan Vilas. Thank you.

Room Tip: 101 was pretty good! Altho my wife suggests it needs a long mirror as the final touch.
  • Stayed March 2012, travelled as a couple
Devon
Reviewed 16 March 2012

After a very long journey it was a pleasure to be greeted with smiling faces, our luggage taken to our rooms without fuss.
The rooms are unfussy and comfortable, the dining outside with fire bowls to keep us warm was a pleasure.
I shall be back in 2013 with another group.
Jane Shoebridge, Salawas Indian Tours.

• Stayed February 2012, travelled with friends
london
Reviewed 15 March 2012

It's outside of the centre of Jodhpur - I found loads of little hotels and B and Bs in the centre that I wished I had stayed in.

Jodhpur is dusty so we were really looking forward to the pool. But the pool was empty (for maintenance apparently). The rooms are extremely dark and plenty of them are near the restaurant so will be noisy. We had to look at three rooms before we were shown one that was acceptable (I don't think you should be forced to have the light on during the day in order to see anything for example). Rooms were clean though.

But the service is generally terrible. Especially at breakfast. Took ages to get a tea or coffee, despite repeated requests. The food choice at breakfast is odd (mashed potato?). But worst of all is the service. The waiters just hang around, staring. It's extremely uncomfortable and off-putting.

I couldn't recommend it. It feels like it has seen better days and is resting on its laurels. Needs a major overhaul to be still relevant in the next five years.

• Stayed January 2012, travelled as a couple