No. 1 low value rip off on our India vacation 2011
Ever since my first visit to Jaisalmer have I wanted to stay at one of the old haveli houses in the fort - even when Lonely Planet advises not to stay at a hotel in the fort...
When my wife and I planned our trip to India last year did we choose to book the Desert Haveli in the fort in advance. This was the first mistake as the online price for the rooms are twice of the ordinary price (you can see when you arrive to the Desert Haveli). Even though the price isn't high do you feel slightly stupid when you find out that you have been ripped-off.
Our second mistake was to choose the most expensive room at the Desert Haveli. At arrival was the room not cleaned at all. Towels and linen were dirty, and smelled of "old sultan". The electrical installations in the room were horrific, dangerous and made with no respect to a 400 year old building. Electrical outlets right next to the shover, a/c in the room instead of renovating window shutters for natural ventilation.
Third mistake was to eat at the Desert Haveli. If you want a "Deli-belly" then eat at the Desert Haveli. It definitely is not the hotbed of hygiene...
I love Jaisalmer - but will never return to, and cannot recommend the Desert Haveli at all. In other words - don't go there!
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- All time amazing opportunity to stay in the national monument/museum that is golden fort of Jaisalmer(main attraction of the Jaisalmer) ,specially for history-art loving tourists. This Fairy land building situated on south side of the rampart of the fort claimed to be more than 450 years old. It belongs to a divisional magistrate of state time from there and the current owner himself is the successor . The guest house has fabulous rooms and the building has been kept intact with original golden stone walls and full of characters acclaimed design. Its unique atmosphere makes it a great place to stay. The staff are all friendly and the roof-top restaurant provides not only good food but also acclaimed sweeping views of Jaisalmer's main attractions. The guest house provides access to other services including booking of bus and rail tickets. They have a long experience of desert(CAMEL) safaris and can do memorable-adventurous tours from one day to a week and beyond. many guide books and web sites have recommended very much highly for wonderful experiences - they have their own camel drivers who are experienced with tourists. Staying in the Desert Haveli is a relaxing experience for all age groups and offers a quiet heaven. This description is based on information provided by the hotel. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Booking.com and Agoda so you can book your Desert Haveli Guest House reservations with confidence. We help millions of travellers each month to find the perfect hotel for both holiday and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Jaisalmer Desert Haveli Guest House Hotel Jaisalmer
- Desert Haveli Guest House Jaisalmer, Rajasthan