“Rip off!”

Frederiksberg, Denmark
“Rip off!”
Reviewed 6 May 2012

No. 1 low value rip off on our India vacation 2011

Ever since my first visit to Jaisalmer have I wanted to stay at one of the old haveli houses in the fort - even when Lonely Planet advises not to stay at a hotel in the fort...

When my wife and I planned our trip to India last year did we choose to book the Desert Haveli in the fort in advance. This was the first mistake as the online price for the rooms are twice of the ordinary price (you can see when you arrive to the Desert Haveli). Even though the price isn't high do you feel slightly stupid when you find out that you have been ripped-off.

Our second mistake was to choose the most expensive room at the Desert Haveli. At arrival was the room not cleaned at all. Towels and linen were dirty, and smelled of "old sultan". The electrical installations in the room were horrific, dangerous and made with no respect to a 400 year old building. Electrical outlets right next to the shover, a/c in the room instead of renovating window shutters for natural ventilation.

Third mistake was to eat at the Desert Haveli. If you want a "Deli-belly" then eat at the Desert Haveli. It definitely is not the hotbed of hygiene...

I love Jaisalmer - but will never return to, and cannot recommend the Desert Haveli at all. In other words - don't go there!

• Stayed June 2011, travelled as a couple
1 Thank LPH2012
Turn Your Opinions into Points!
Turn your opinions into JPMiles
Turn your opinions into PAYBACK Points
*You can enroll in only one programme at a time to earn rewards for reviews.
JPMiles / Payback Arrow
JPMiles / PAYBACK

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (26)
Perth, Australia
Reviewed 20 April 2012

This Guesthouse has only a few rooms but are maintained in their original Haveli style and decorated beautifully. The roof-top restaurant I have reported on previously, but this year I decided to take a Desert Haveli Camel Safari. I have spent a lot of time in the roof top restaurant of the Guesthouse, and consequently have met and spoken with a number of guests who had already experienced a Desert Haveli Camel Safari, so going on their positive feedback over many years, I decided to take the plunge and arranged with Munna to go on a 2 day ‘non-touristic’ Camel Safari with 5 other hotel guests (an English couple, and three Canadian girls).

Munna patiently explained the whole trip in detail and even agreed to make arrangements for my specific dietary requirements without fuss, and at no extra cost. On the morning of the day we were to take off, one of the Canadian girls fell ill and despite the protestation of her friends, insisted on coming along, even though Munna said he would refund her in full if she pulled out (even at the last minute).

For the first day (afternoon) the girl seemed to come good but had deteriorated sufficiently by next morning to be of some concern. By this time we were some distance from Jaisalmer and in the middle of nowhere (the non-touristic route), but when the Canadian girls became distressed for their friend, Munna made a call on his mobile and as if by magic a jeep appeared across the dunes within minutes.

This guy, who has been operating the Desert Haveli Camel Safaris for years, had both the experience and foresight to have his jeep shadow the safari at a discreet distance for just such an eventuality. The young girl was in Jaisalmer Private Hospital and recovering within the hour, and was able to rejoin her travelling companions at the Guesthouse the following day. Munna also insisted she take a full refund for the trip she couldn’t complete.

I had worked in remote desert areas of Australia for 10 years and have some experience with travelling under these conditions, so I was interested to see how Munna and his crew operated with regard to Health and Safety aspects of their business. And I wasn’t disappointed, the health, safety and comfort of their guests was a high priority. But on top of that, the pace of the safari was good, the places visited interesting, the food was fresh and well cooked, the beer was cold and the cameleers sang beautifully around a well stoked fire (well after I’d had couple of Kingfishers, even the camels probably would have sounded good).

This is only the second Camel Safari I’ve embarked on it 10 years of visiting Jaisalmer, but it was a wonderful experience, and competitively priced in a crowded market. I’d highly recommend Munna and his crew for anyone contemplating one of Jaisalmers’ must do activities.

• Stayed April 2012, travelled solo
1 Thank BrianP660
finse
Reviewed 16 April 2012

So the rooms are alright even there's no water sometimes but the manager's is the pick of cowdung in India!!
They where nice in the beginning and all acting normal more or less, they promise this and promise that and there's nothing becoming true except they want you to pay for it!!
Useless in all ways!!
There's really nothing good to say so just stay somewhere else!!

Room Tip: one of the other hotels!!
  • Stayed April 2012, travelled with friends
omshivyogi, Manager at Desert Haveli Guest House, responded to this review, 10 December 2015
respected sir, thank you for your kind guidance , I have learnt many points from your feed back, I have improved them and by the grace of God I have the results,,thanks a lot
with regards
and good wishes
dushyant
owner
New Delhi, India
Reviewed 29 January 2012

When we went there, we liked the rooms and the view. The manager talked politely and we even booked a desert safari with them. But later our problems just went on increasing. We went in january & there was no water at first leave alone hot water. Hot water was provided to us in buckets, but we had to wait ages for it and ended up wasting a lot of time in the morning just to take a bath. Later we found that he had charged us double the amount for the safari than what he had offered other guests in the same hotel. When we confronted him about this, he was very rude to us. We cancelled our safari and checked out. Stayed at Sidhartha Hotel the next day and found it much better. Never would i recommend anybody to go here.

• Stayed January 2012, travelled with friends
3 Thank Aman N
omshivyogi, Owner at Desert Haveli Guest House, responded to this review, 29 November 2015
our respected guest shri aman could not be satisfied with my services provided by my staff ,, I notted the problems and points raised by respected guest and I continuesly in the path of improving ,,, result is good so that good reviews are being published now ,,, I am thankful for my welwisher guests who put me to improve ment side ,,
with thanks, regards, good wishes and unconditional love
owner with support of staff
Mumbai, India
Reviewed 17 January 2012

We had been to this place for almost 3 days in Jan 2012. Munna the manager was very polite and convincing at start. And promises a lot of thing but doesn't fulfill even one. Since its winter the water was very very cold in the whole stay we didn't get hot water at all as Munna promised. Also Its the cleanliness is below average. The flush didn't work; wash basin choked up all the time and the toilets were dirty. The food is also average and they take lot of time to serve sometimes almost a hour.
Plus Munna kept pushing us for desert safari package. A jeep was booked for 5 of us and he forcefully got 2 other people in it which was very very inconvenient. He promised us luxury tents and took us to some terrible place and when we refused to stay in he managed to book some other tents where the food and service was below average. Plus he took some extra money from us saying that it was expensive and later in our stay he became so hostile that we literally decided to move out of his hotel.
It was a aweful experience and I strongly recommend not to stay in this hotel.

• Stayed January 2012, travelled with friends
1 Thank Shitole_K
omshivyogi, Owner at Desert Haveli Guest House, responded to this review, 10 December 2015
respected madam, sorry very sorry for inconvenience felt by you in my guest house,but I am very lucky that I got your feed back correspondingly I got opportunity to check the short falls in my guest house,,,Now I have changed all the things and results are there ,, thank you very much again.
with regards and good wishes
owner