“Appalling service at a Taj” 3 of 5 bubbles
Review of Vivanta by Taj Aurangabad

Vivanta by Taj Aurangabad
Ranked #1 of 55 Hotels in Aurangabad
Toronto
“Appalling service at a Taj”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 4 April 2012

We were travelling in a group with children to visit the Ajanta and Ellora caves. The hotel lobby was beautiful as were the grounds. The rooms were lovely. The service was appalling: in the restaurant, the poolside, and the reception area.

Throughout our stay, the staff were a curious combination of obsequious and frigid. Staff were very eager to ask how things were but totally useless at dealing with any concerns or fulfilling requests.

On our last day, we ordered drinks and sandwiches at the poolside about 1.5 hours prior to our scheduled departure time. After 15 minutes, the waiter served the drinks on a tray with one of the dishes, then disappeared. After waiting 25 minutes and seeing no sign of the rest of the order or the waiter, I walked to the lobby to ask for help--as the only Hindi-speaker in the group, I was the designated problem solver. The staff-persons (all 3 of them in the lobby) advised me to return to the poolside and assured me someone would find out about the status of the order and inform me about it. I returned to the poolside to wait another 20 minutes, then returned again to the lobby. The staff looked blank-faced about my previous complaint. So, I asked to see a manager. There was a kerfluffle and everybody tried to send me back to the poolside assuring me (again) that they would see to the problem. I insisted on seeing a manager and a staff person emerged from behind a door to help me. I started to explain the situation and then asked if he was a manager. He hesitated and then admitted he wasn't. So I said I would wait for a manager and asked him to be called right away. Staff pleaded with me to let them solve the problem and why did I need to see a manager. About 10 minutes later, a manager identified himself. I explained the situation. He asked me to return to the poolside (there were now only about 10 minutes left until departure) and he would take care of everything. He gave me his card and asked me to write down details about the problems I had encountered. I returned to the poolside and the food showed up five minutes later. We had to abandon most of the food because it was time by then to load the bus. The manager didn't offer any kind of credit on the food bill despite the inconvenience as waste.

Appalling service, and frankly fairly typical of all but the Taj Mahal Palace Hotel in Bombay, which is truly the jewel in the Taj crown.

• Stayed May 2011, travelled with friends
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
Turn Your Opinions into Points!
Turn your opinions into JPMiles
Turn your opinions into PAYBACK Points
*You can enroll in only one programme at a time to earn rewards for reviews.
JPMiles / Payback Arrow
JPMiles / PAYBACK

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (148)
Mumbai, India
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 23 March 2012

A good hotel a short 10 mins drive from the airport. The location is beautiful and i was pleasantly surprised by the greens around and the quiet. There is a lovely garden restaurant, with lush green manicured lawns that make it for a visual treat - you can also enjoy a game of croquet early in the morning.
The rooms were clean and spacious, but the ones on the ground floor felt a bit tired. the rooms on the higher floors were nice and bright.
I think this property also serves as a training ground for the Taj - most of the people around were very young and looked like trainees - but were very courteous and helpful nevertheless.
overall, is a nice place to relax in when visiting Ajanta/Ellora

Room Tip: go for the rooms on the higher floors.... they offer better privacy and the view is also good.
  • Stayed March 2012, travelled on business
1 Thank Arnab D
Bangkok
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 23 March 2012

The Taj Residency Aurangabad is a good base from where to start your exploration of the world-famous caves nearby. The Residency brand is not the highest Taj brand, but it fits Aurangabad as the city is mainly a draw for short-stay tourists and business travelers. You just need a comfortable place to sleep after a long day of touring.

The location is okay. I liked that it was not surrounded by buildings and buildings or was at a very busy crossroads.

The hotel itself has a distinctive design and layout, with really long corridors that make you think of old Indian palaces. I think it tries to be a long hotel rather than a tall one to preserve the aesthetics of the area.

The service was very good, with the staff displaying genuine care and concern for the guests. They get that guests here are usually of the no-fuss kind who just want to rest after a day's tour. The breakfast was fine and was way better than anything you would get in the city proper.

The Taj Residency is probably the best choice for Aurangabad and its World Heritage Sites.

• Stayed February 2012, travelled on business
2 Thank Chattan_k
New Delhi, India
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 14 March 2012

My husband n my self were on a short trip to Shridhi near Aurangabadh, so on our way back we had some extra time n we decided to check out the taj.

The location is beautiful n next to the airport. Their garden is surrounded by a lovely varanda restruant.

Now the nightmare began with the food. We ordered Chinese which was super duper oily. Than we ordered a pastry which clearly smelt of kerosene. When we made out complaint, the waiter told us that there was some construction in the kitchen. They tried their best to make it up with a cake ( as it was our anniversary) but even that smelt of the same. We complained again, as to which the chef came. Firstly he denied the taste, than finally admitted n said sorry. The waiters finally came up with excuse that this was a trainee hotel, hence the below average service. The icing on the cake was the overcharged bill!

It's really sad to see a Taj property with such substandard service. I really hope someone from the organization reads this n does something about it.

As for the traveller if u r willing to sacrifice service n food for location than this is the place for u. But if u r like us n expect the Taj services than sadly really not worth ur while.

• Stayed February 2012
3 Thank BND_2009
Portsmouth, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 13 March 2012

Room excellent as one would expect from a Taj hotel, we also had a balcony with a pool view. Food was excellent in the Restaurant and beautiful grounds to relax in after visiting Ellora and Ajanta Rock caves which were amazing.

• Stayed February 2012, travelled as a couple