“Unexpected Beauty”

Book In Advance
More Info
US$ 55.00*
and up
Khajuraho Day Tour: Jungle Safari at Panna...
Ranked #1 of 46 things to do in Khajuraho
More attraction details
Owner description: Magnificent temples built between 950 A.D. and 1050 A.D.
Reviewed 24 May 2012

We arrived there without big expectations but we've been immediately surprised by the beauty of the complex and all temples. The scultures are beautyful and sometimes very funny! We'd reccomend to get a guide that will make the visit more interesting with explainations and funny stories.

All reviews
in 28 reviews
"panna national park"
in 17 reviews

Reviewed 19 May 2012

I admit that I did not do my homework before arriving at the temples of Khajuraho, so I literally had the breath sucked out of me when I arrived. The sight before me was astounding and totally unexpected. The setting was serene with green manicured grass, beautiful flowers, and lush trees, so different from the teeming street scene outside the gates. Ahead of me were 20 or so of the most magnificant temples I have ever laid eyes on. Getting closer it was evident that each temple is covered with intricate carvings, too many to take in with just one visit. We had a guide to explain many of the meanings which made the carvings seem to come to life. Be forewarned, there are erotic carvings (Kama Sutra) on some of the temples. Still the questions remains, how could anybody do such meticulous work in stone so many centuries ago!! If you are in India, do not miss this site! Take time to examine the temples, enjoy the serenity, and reflect on the artisans involved in creating such masterpieces and what they represent. Do take water, wear good walking shoes as there is a fair amount of walking and climbing, and be sure to not get overheated. Try to avoid the summer months as the heat is unbearable. There are restrooms available in the park, the newer one much nice than the older one The newer one is to the right as you come in the entrance gate. This visit is definitely one of the very best memories we have of our month in India!

1  Thank focj
Reviewed 18 May 2012

This was undoubtedly the stand out in our three week trip. The temples are incredibly beautiful and well preserved. We took the audio guides which were really good and instantly cut out the touts around the place. We flew here from Varanasi and would recommend the extra trip to anyone.

1  Thank sunshinecoastal
Reviewed 9 May 2012

A place that will stay in your memory for a long time. Go early morning or late afternoon to avoid the sun's heat. Take your time walking around looking at the temples and make sure you take enough pictures. Also take enough water to drink

See more reviews
Reviewed 9 May 2012

The Western temples at Khajuraho were the single best sight I saw in a two week tour of northern India, Taj Mahal included (although of course that's my subjective view). I'm reluctant to add too many superlatives to this review in case more hype encourages too many visitors. At the moment you can go to Khajuraho and have this treasure of the world to yourself (at least in April...). The western site is very simple to explore; you could stand at one point in the middle and have every temple in eyesight, but that doesn't mean you won't need a good half-day to see everything properly. The height of the temples is not always well conveyed in photographs. Some of the best figures are extremely high up and difficult to capture, even with a good zoom lens, but searching is part of the fun. Double admission is prohibited, so be sure you really have finished viewing before you pass out of the gate or you’ll be charged again.

I saw the Eastern/Jain groups the day before ( don’t miss the girl applying eyeliner- it’s one of Khajuraho's best!) and I’d recommend viewing this way round to build up to the big event.

I also saw the sound and light show the night before, which was the right way round- tantalising glimpses of the temples before you see them for real in daylight. The show was much better than reviews I read here had suggested. The temple complex is utterly pitch black at night which creates quite an impression; you arrive escorted down a path with a feeble torch, then as the show begins, the buildings are revealed alternately in shining glory. The story is well related, well narrated and it wasn’t too long for me- the usual complaint- but with a history degree probably I was more interested than the average person. Essentially, it’s a series of buildings lit up while an Indian epic is read to you over an hour’s duration- you will know yourself if that is going to float your boat or not.

One day I'll go back to Khajuraho....I've written it now, so it's a promise to myself!

1  Thank Rubiachica