Lowest prices for your stay
Lock in the lowest price from these sites
Booking.comUS$ 21
PricelineUS$ 23
eDreamsUS$ 21
TripadvisorUS$ 21
ZenHotels.com
FindHotel
All reviews the owner the cliff rooms were cleaned daily outdoor shower seafood ayurvedic massage sound of the waves palm trees perfect place veranda beach kerala varkala sunset indian nets yoga
Selected filters
Reviewed 17 January 2021

To start with this review I would say that we went there after going through a lots of good reviews. But, when we reached, it was nothing like the reviews that you read on Google or TripAdvisor.
They are totally understaffed, there is hardly a person in kitchen whom you can ask for any small order like tea or coffee.
Any small thing you would like to get, you will have to go in person and ask them more than twice to get it. Even that does not guarantee any service.
Food was terrible. Never had such bad food anywhere else in Kerala. Whenever we complained, the kind owner had only one thing to say and it was ‘We are running out of people’. I completely understand that this Covid situation has put a dent on all businesses but that does not mean that a business can hide behind that and deliver terrible food and service after taking a great amount of money. FYI : this place is not cheap.
There can be absence of a real cook or chef but it can never be justified that the quality of simple 'omelet' or terrible 'bread toast' they were serving. They are literally running a place where they are simply trying to extract money from the unfortunate travellers who were LURED BY THE PREVIOUS REVIEWS.
About the property :
Location : 5/5
You will hardly find a better location. The property is located on the beach and is beautiful.
Room : 3/5
Old rooms but traditional, loved the open shower concept. Room was spacious but very less light and air during entire day. Needs some revamp.
Food : 0/5
As stated earlier, the worst part was food. Limited menu and bad quality. Not only complaining about the taste but about freshness and hygiene too.
Service 2/5 :
There were two people who were serving our rooms (we went as a group) and taking orders and were literally doing everything and they were very helpful, loved their attitude and helpfulness. But they reason I am giving bad rating as they were hardly available.

Date of stay: December 2020
Sudhargi Bhasker, General Manager at Varkala Marine Palace, responded to this reviewResponded 24 January 2021

Dear Arjit,

Thank you for your Review.

We do admit the shortfalls during the period of your stay and we are seriously working on it. It is true that a hotel like us cant hide it all behind the Pandemic. We are exploring ways to get back on track and we expect your support and we hope to compensate your disappointments in your next visit.

Apologies, Bhasker

Reviewed 8 January 2021

I would like to start by mentioning that the owner was kind enough to allow ‘Indians’ this time of the year due to Covid situation, otherwise Indians are normally not allowed in this hotel during this time to accommodate foreign tourists ‍♀️
We visited this place last week with lots of expectations and here is the entire experience :
Location : 5/5
This is probably one of the only two hotels which have beachfront. All other hotels and resorts are on the cliff side so beach is conveniently accessible from hotel.
Service/Hospitality : 3/5
They were clearly understaffed. We read in reviews that the service was great earlier but that was not our experience. They are running with bare minimum staffs.
Food : 1/5
This was the most disappointing of all. Food was terrible. When we checked with the manager he told that they don't have their old cooking staffs anymore and kitchen is only managed by 2 people.
I completely understand the situation they are going through but that doesn't justify the terrible food. Even basic things like 'sunny side up eggs' was horrible. Most basic food was also lacking taste.
The main problem is if you want to eat outside, you will have to go to the cliff side restaurants which are not very accessible from the location of the hotel.
Room : 3/5
Room was spacious, Old, Lacks light even in the morning.
In conclusion I would say that keeping the Covid situation in mind, all businesses are suffering. However, if you are a paying customer and service/food are this bad, one would definitely not consider going back to the same business again.
I read a lot of good reviews about this place but the in reality it was one of the most disappointing experiences I’ve had.

Date of stay: December 2020
Trip type: Travelled as a couple
Sudhargi Bhasker, General Manager at Varkala Marine Palace, responded to this reviewResponded 10 January 2021

Dear Mickey, Thank you for your review.

1) Myself as the owner of the hotel I would contradict your first statement.

"the owner was kind enough to allow ‘Indians’ this time of the year due to Covid situation, otherwise Indians are normally not allowed in this hotel during this time to accommodate foreign tourists ‍♀️".

Sorry we completely disagree to your assessment. No matter a customer if Indian or Foreign has always been welcomed, treated politely and honored with equal respect in our property. We would like to always welcome you again and we apologize for the negative feelings.

2) We agree that we were Understaffed and we apologize for the lack of service therewith. Unfortunately, that was the best under the pandemic circumstances and we do believe that things will turn around the sooner we could employ our full team.

3) We completely understand that food was below expectation and we would seriously look into this matter. We appreciate your honesty on that part.

We apologize for the negative experience and your review would definitely guide us to get on the right track. Thank you.

Reviewed 14 February 2020

Returning to Marine Palace, after 5 years, it held the same charm and warmth we'd previously enjoyed. The staff were brilliant and the meals excellent- with a good selection of sea food and advice regarding choice. It was also possible to have a real 'non-chilli' option. We had the same room as on our last visit (no. 16)which is probably the best in the hotel. and has almost immediate access to the beach..

Date of stay: February 2020
Reviewed 25 January 2020 via mobile

As a traveling chef across India I came across them gem of a place, the fish was refrshsed twise a day the chef went out in the morning and evening for the best catch.. Absolutely amazing the food was great the staff was just as good so friendly and nothing was a problem I managed to get a quick lesson from the head chef and my god what an experience! Can't sing their praise's more

Thanks for everything guy hope we meet again!!

Date of stay: January 2020
Trip type: Travelled solo
Reviewed 17 December 2019

I was not sure what to expect before arriving at Varkala Marine Palace but the owner, staff, and accommodations exceeded all of my expectations! The room was clean, quiet, and all amenities available and working properly. The outdoor shower was wonderful and the bed was comfortable.

The location was great, just 100 meters from the beach and very quiet and peaceful. I could sit on my balcony all day and night and listen to the sound of the waves. It is obvious the owner is focused on improving this property everyday as their is full team on staff working to improve the grounds and open up a restaurant directly on the property, however never did I hear any excessive noise or commotion from any work being done.

I was able to schedule private yoga sessions at my convenience with an incredibly kind and informative instructor. I am a yoga novice and he took the time to explain everything to me in detail while at the same time ensuring it was a peaceful and invigorating session.

The ayurvedic massage area is quiet and peaceful as you lay on a bed listening to the sound of the waves. The massage was very therapeutic and I felt wonderful afterwards.

From the hotel it is just a ten minute walk up the hill to the "main" strip of restaurants and bars on the cliffs of Varkala, and only a one minute walk to several restaurants, mini markets, and shops along the beach.

I will definitely be staying here upon any return trip the area as I know the staff will always do whatever they can to ensure a comfortable stay and the property will only get better over time as the owner is dedicated to making daily improvements.

Room tip: Second floor rooms had amazing balconies to relax.
Date of stay: November 2019