Lowest prices for your stay
Priceline
View deal
eDreamsUS$ 20
ZenHotels.com
StayForLong
All reviews the owner the cliff rooms were cleaned daily outdoor shower seafood ayurvedic massage sound of the waves palm trees perfect place veranda beach kerala varkala sunset indian nets yoga
Selected filters
Reviewed 17 December 2019

I was not sure what to expect before arriving at Varkala Marine Palace but the owner, staff, and accommodations exceeded all of my expectations! The room was clean, quiet, and all amenities available and working properly. The outdoor shower was wonderful and the bed was comfortable.

The location was great, just 100 meters from the beach and very quiet and peaceful. I could sit on my balcony all day and night and listen to the sound of the waves. It is obvious the owner is focused on improving this property everyday as their is full team on staff working to improve the grounds and open up a restaurant directly on the property, however never did I hear any excessive noise or commotion from any work being done.

I was able to schedule private yoga sessions at my convenience with an incredibly kind and informative instructor. I am a yoga novice and he took the time to explain everything to me in detail while at the same time ensuring it was a peaceful and invigorating session.

The ayurvedic massage area is quiet and peaceful as you lay on a bed listening to the sound of the waves. The massage was very therapeutic and I felt wonderful afterwards.

From the hotel it is just a ten minute walk up the hill to the "main" strip of restaurants and bars on the cliffs of Varkala, and only a one minute walk to several restaurants, mini markets, and shops along the beach.

I will definitely be staying here upon any return trip the area as I know the staff will always do whatever they can to ensure a comfortable stay and the property will only get better over time as the owner is dedicated to making daily improvements.

Room tip: Second floor rooms had amazing balconies to relax.
Date of stay: November 2019
Reviewed 18 November 2019

Varkala Marine Palace is the perfect place. We had the 2 best rooms in the place, on the top floor with the most ginormous bed I've ever seen (definitely ask for these). This, combined with an outside shower, fridge and fantastic veranda for whiling away the hours between beach and yet another delicious meal on the cliff made for a extremely comfortable and memorable stay. We spent many happy hours on our veranda playing cards or watching the sea eagles and the fruit bats, the fishermen pulling in their nets and the amazing sunsets (despite the decidedly iffy weather). Bashker was very helpful, organising our laundry, booking a taxi and solving a problem with our room straight away. The restaurant was under renovation which was a shame, as it has great reviews, but Varkala has so many excellent restaurants just 10 mins walk away, so we certainly didn't go hungry.

Date of stay: October 2019
Reviewed 16 November 2019

Our room was a great size, nicely furnished clean and traditional. We particularly loved being able to sea and hear the sea from our balcony, dry relaxing! We also loved our outdoor shower - lovely to have a wash under palm trees.

Date of stay: November 2019
KeralaBabu, General Manager at Varkala Marine Palace, responded to this reviewResponded 16 November 2019

Dear Jess!

Many greetings from VARKALA MARINE PALACE, Kerala, India.
Thank you very much for your very beautiful review. We promise to keep up the standards for your up comming holidays as well.

Wish you all the best,

THANK YOU!!
For VARKALA MARINE PALACE team,
Bhasker

Reviewed 16 November 2019

Bhasker was very nice on first encounter, offering a so called "last minute" price as my friend and I came around 6:30pm to his place. He was very helpful on that day.

As our budget was very tight, we went to find other rooms in the area the next day and when we got back. He started getting aggressive and rude because we were moving out. He was very forceful and we left and carried our luggage on our own. He tried pressuring us to stay several nights though we could not afford it.

The place is nice but has so much renovation going on around the yoga place and no restaurant available. The hotel is in the front of the beach but you have no beach view. In the end I would not recommend staying there.

Date of stay: October 2019

Dear Anya,

Thank you for your review.

We understand that you were not happy with your experience and we apologize if you felt pressured to stay with us. We agree that our restaurant was undergoing some annual maintenance which was a let down. Somehow it was off season and also it was unavoidable and we apologize for the same.

Personally I do not think that I was rude in anyway and contrary to your statement, honestly I would say that we were professional in our approach while you were checking out . Our last minute offer was our best price for a few nights together and I would say that the breach of that understanding was more hurting to us. Anyhow we do not have any negative feelings and we accept your constrains and choice.

For Marine Palace Team, Bhasker

Reviewed 9 April 2019 via mobile

What you see is NOT what you get! Especially if booking through booking.com where all of the photos show immaculate and artistic villas. We booked with the understanding we would stay in one of the lovely villas and when we arrived were told we needed to pay over 3x our booking price! Very appalling and when we explained our dissapointment with the false advertising they crudely told us to find somewhere else if we weren't happy. We were exhausted from our flight this being our introduction to India so we caved and stayed in a very basic, backroom on the property where the staff stay at the same cost that we booked with thinking it would be an amazing villa.

Date of stay: April 2019
Trip type: Travelled as a couple
2  Thank Louiselee99
KeralaBabu, Owner at Varkala Marine Palace, responded to this reviewResponded 13 April 2019

This is purely a malicious review fabricated to tarnish our reputation possibly by an adversary. Therefore we disown entirely the contents and therefore owe no explanation. We hope we will not have more such reviews in future.

Behalf of Varkala Marine Palace