I visited Varkala & stayed at Hindustan Beach retreat for three nights(Sep 6,7 & 8).Before getting into the review of Hindustan let me quickly outline Varkala for the benefit of the unacquainted,please visit Varkala only if:
1. You are looking for a relaxed,chilled out holiday(no hopping around from one place to another)
2. A holiday by the beach(& only beach) fascinates you
3. Like savoring the excellent views of the sunrise & sunsets by the beach.
4. You love terrific sea food.
If you did notice,I might have repeated beach more than once above & that's primarily what the place is about - beautiful beaches with wonderful views(from the cliff as well as from the hotel room & restaurant).
Now there is the cliff & there is Hindustan Beach retreat which is a five minutes jog down the cliff - I mention this separately because from what I had noticed this hotel seems to be the only one both closest to the beach as well as closest to the cliff.Am not sure how the resorts/hotels atop the cliff can call themselves beach resorts in the first place - now I could be slightly wrong here but a climb down the cliff to the beach takes only 5-10 mins max but the sea is rough down there(maybe that's just in Sep?,am not sure) and you can't even stand there let alone swim.
Pros of Hindustan Beach retreat:
1. Vantage location - A two minute walk to the beach(not a private beach though).
2. Excellent staff who are both courteous & helpful
3. Well maintained place
4. Excellent food with wonderful view of the sea from their roof top restaurant.
5. Rooms with a direct view of the sea(I stayed in the third floor but don't think it would be any different with other floors either).
6. Stone's throw away from Janardhana Swamy temple - an extremely beautiful temple(apparently 2000 years old) which one can visit.
7.Has a pool,a small one though but one which can engage kids - Now I really don't think its possible for any other resort in Varkala(at least those near the cliff) to have both a pool & a terrific sea view at the same time so this one is a plus especially if you travel with family(read kids).
1. Food was slightly overpriced but I reckon given the location/excellent quality of food provided that is still kinda okay.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Varkala. The new tourist destination in God's Own Country, Kerala. It is 55 km North of Thiruvananthapuram accessible by road NH-47 via Kallambalam. By train, Varkala is a station from where a short drive by taxi will get you to Hindustan Beach Retreat. Hindustan Beach Retreat is a venture of the reputed Hindustan Textiles Group based in Kannur since 1939. We have 27 well appointed rooms each one with a spectacular view of the Arabian Sea giving you the luxury of the solitude that you can enjoy with the sounds of nature. · Accommodation o Standard Room - 12 (6 king size + 6 twin bed) o Executive Room (Balcony) - 12 (10 king size + 2 twin bed) o Suite Room (Balcony + Living Room) - 03 (3 king size) · Food o Nothin' Doing - The Restaurant near the Pool Side o Wait'n Watch - Coffee Shop on the Roof Top o Slow motion - The Bar. O Room service - 24 Hrs.· Swimming Pool with Jacuzzi (costumes a must) · Kid's Pool · 100 Seater Conference Hall · Turtle - The Souvenir Shop · Travel Desk · Beautiful Lawn · Wi-fi Internet · Television/Cable · Mini-bar· Telephone · Library · Turtle Bay - The Spa · Coffee makers· Doctor on call. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Booking.com, Expedia, ClearTrip, MakeMyTrip, Yatra, Hotels.com, Agoda and TravelGuru so you can book your Hindustan Beach Retreat reservations with confidence. We help millions of travellers each month to find the perfect hotel for both holiday and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Hindustan Beach Retreat Varkala, Kerala