3 people are viewing this hotel
Booking.com$108
Hotels.com$108
Agoda.com$114
1,014 results
All reviews taj group taj standards table tennis badminton court swimming pool the general manager the cliff front office travel desk gm mr sea view restaurant staff nice property excellent hospitality memorable stay papanasam beach his team
Selected filters
Reviewed 17 January 2022

Stayed in Gateway Varkala for one night. We had booked 3 rooms (1 sea facing & 2 garden facing ones) but had to unfortunately cancel one of it couple of days before the check-in. Though we had to pay for the room, the hotel staff were courteous enough to compensate us with a dinner and upgrade one garden facing one to sea facing. Sea facing rooms are really nice, spacious with a great balcony overlooking the pool and the sea at a distance. Dinner and breakfast were really nice. Swimming pool was nice but some tiles need replacement as they are broken, caused a small bruise under my foot. One thing that really stood out was the courteousness and attention of the staff that reminds you that you are in Taj. My kid fell from a bicycle there and she was promptly attended to with first aid kit. Location is bang in the center of all attractions (Varkala cliff, temple, Papanasam beach...). One thing is the space surrounding the property is kind of limited and the inside walkway to the beach was in a bad shape to be used. If we need to have a good walk we need to step out of the property and thats not really a bad option. Beach is a refreshing walk from there. I will definitely plan a trip again.

Room tip: Try to get Sea Facing Rooms! You get a big balcony and an amazing view to complement.
Date of stay: December 2021
1  Thank prasanthshenoy
Gateway Varkala -IHCL SeleQtions, General Manager at Gateway Varkala - IHCL SeleQtions, responded to this reviewResponded 18 January 2022

Dear Mr Prasanth

Greetings from Gateway Varkala!

We look forward to welcome you once again. Please feel free to contact me directly and it will be my pleasure to assist you if you have any questions or concerns.

Reviewed 11 January 2022 via mobile

The hotel staff were very professional and mild. The hotel felt like a real vacation as it was silent, calm and serene. The rooms were quite clean. The breakfast buffet was catered to us, guess there were very little guests at the point of time.

Trip type: Travelled as a couple
Gateway Varkala -IHCL SeleQtions, General Manager at Gateway Varkala - IHCL SeleQtions, responded to this reviewResponded 12 January 2022

Dear Sir

Greetings from Gateway Varkala!

This is always a pleasure to hear the words of appreciation from guests like you, who spare time out and write about the associates and overall services. I am extremely sorry that you had a very disappointing experience while dining with us. I assure you that corrective steps are taken so that we do not have feedback like this.

Reviewed 10 January 2022

The stay was very good .We had a good time as a family .The staff was very courteous just what I have expect at the Taj. Book yourself at Taj and one cannot go wrong. We stayed for one night .Everything was a breeze from check in to check out. I would have preferred better spread for breakfast but considering that we could eat in the restaurant itself these days was a big thing

Room tip: sea facing room
Date of stay: January 2022
Gateway Varkala -IHCL SeleQtions, General Manager at Gateway Varkala - IHCL SeleQtions, responded to this reviewResponded 11 January 2022

Dear Mr Sasheendran

Reviewed 7 January 2022 via mobile

Away from the rabble of North cliff. Old property but we'll maintained. The staff is well trained and efficient. Ideal choice if you need peaceful quiet stay. Papanasam Beach is about 500 m away. This place however won't give you a 'on the beach' feel as there is no visual and physical connect to the beach front.

Trip type: Travelled as a couple
Gateway Varkala -IHCL SeleQtions, General Manager at Gateway Varkala - IHCL SeleQtions, responded to this reviewResponded 8 January 2022

Dear Mr Vaishalip

Reviewed 29 December 2021

Very good property, located closely to most of the activities. Very clean, good hospitality. I would like to thanks staff Nixon, Dipin and others in the cafe who took care of us well with all the needs. Also Sudheep helped all the way from our day one to last day. I really thank all the staffs.....

Date of stay: December 2021
Gateway Varkala -IHCL SeleQtions, General Manager at Gateway Varkala - IHCL SeleQtions, responded to this reviewResponded 30 December 2021

Dear Mr Csundaram