3 people are viewing this hotel
Free cancellation until 03/06/22
Official Site
$108
View deal
Reserve now, pay at stay
Booking.com$108
Hotels.com$108
Travelocity$108
1,013 results
All reviews taj group taj standards table tennis badminton court swimming pool the general manager the cliff front office travel desk gm mr sea view restaurant staff nice property excellent hospitality memorable stay papanasam beach his team
Selected filters
Reviewed 20 September 2019 via mobile

Stayed for four nights on a half board booking in a sea view room.

Firstly the staff at the hotel are exceptional. They will go out of their way to do things for you and always have a smile on their faces. They are extremely polite and friendly. I do not know all of their names but the following staff were outstanding: pool man, Shiba, the head chef and Tony (who was probably the most helpful person I have ever come across in a hotel).

You can reach the beach from the hotel in 2 minutes via a path out the back of the hotel. Please note the gate to the path is locked at 7pm.

The swimming pool is great, although there were only 7 sunloungers. Fine when we were there but in peak season it could be a battle to get a lounger. The swimming pool includes a swim up bar. Unfortunately it was a bit difficult to do lengths in the pool because a divider was put across the middle of the pool. The pool is important because it is not possible to swim in the sea at Varkala due to the currents.

Aside from the pool there were plenty of other activities available: chess, tennis, table football, croquet, badminton, table tennis etc. There were also bikes for hire and a spa for treatments.

The sea view room we had was very good. It was extremely spacious with a huge ensuite. Each room has its own balcony.

The food at the hotel is very good but not outstanding. There is a wide range on offer and we sampled many dishes. The buffet breakfast was good and the chef will make dosas, omelettes, pancakes etc. One morning there was a buffet breakfast available.

The hotel is not cheap. It was far more expensive than any other accomodation in Varkala. We were there in low season so the prices were cheaper. In high season this is a very expensive hotel ( by Kerala standards).

Date of stay: September 2019
Trip type: Travelled as a couple
Gateway V, General Manager at Gateway Varkala - IHCL SeleQtions, responded to this reviewResponded 23 September 2019

Dear Mr. Ramblingam

Greetings from Gateway Varkala!

This is always a pleasure to hear the words of appreciation from guests like you, who spare time out and write about the associates and overall services. . Your feedback is essential not only in our effort to improve our standards but this helps a great deal for the motivation of our associates and helps them perform even better. I shall communicate your sentiments to the entire team.
We look forward to welcome you once again. Please feel free to contact me directly and it will be my pleasure to assist you if you have any questions or concerns.

Reviewed 19 September 2019

Went with my family. Less No., of rooms & consequently less No., of guests but a very good stay. Very good Pool with the deep side enjoyable for those like me looking for depth in a pool. Though it wasn't much of a problem & almost no disturbance, I hope the renovation works are completed fast.

Vegetarians might find the food lacking in quality and value. But the breakfast was almost as good as any in other similar hotels.

My only regret : didn't stay for a longer time. If I visit next, I would definitely stay for a longer period.

Room tip: Sea View Rooms are the Best.
Date of stay: August 2019
  • Trip type: Travelled with family
Review collected in partnership with Taj Hotels & Resorts
Gateway V, General Manager at Gateway Varkala - IHCL SeleQtions, responded to this reviewResponded 20 September 2019

Dear Mr. Swabhanu

Reviewed 11 September 2019

Had a very good stay at the place. The biggest strength of the hotel is it's location; overlooking the beach from a height and nestled amongst greenery, the perfect getaway for city people.
Very helpful and pleasant natured staff, and that includes everyone from the front desk staff to the chef. The spread at the breakfast could be better, but I do recognize the place was undergoing renovations, so it was a temporary arrangement.

Room tip: Sea facing room is the best
1  Thank TanazB
Gateway V, General Manager at Gateway Varkala - IHCL SeleQtions, responded to this reviewResponded 17 September 2019

Dear Ms Tanaz

Reviewed 9 September 2019

The rooms were smeelinh moulds being winter
Handicapped rooms were not well equipped
Check in was unpleasant
Breakfast was not great
Lunch buffet not satisfactory.
Not suitable for a leisure experience
Property is rightly placed with Good view

Date of stay: August 2019
  • Trip type: Travelled with family
Review collected in partnership with Taj Hotels & Resorts
Gateway V, General Manager at Gateway Varkala - IHCL SeleQtions, responded to this reviewResponded 11 September 2019

Dear Mam

Reviewed 7 September 2019

Really it was a great experience. What an atmosphere !!! Now it became one of my favorite destination. Sea view from the balcony is the main attraction. Khalid, you are really a wonderful human being.

Trip type: Travelled on business