“A wonderful place to stay”
Review of Palm Tree Heritage

and 1 more site!
Palm Tree Heritage
Ranked #2 of 52 Hotels in Varkala
London, England, United Kingdom
“A wonderful place to stay”
Reviewed 4 April 2012

We cannot recommend this place highly enough. We stayed in the annex which provides bed and breakfast. We had a beautiful sea view and the room it's self was spotlessly clean. Babu and his extremely helpful and efficient staff, went out of their way to accommodate our every need. It's a welcome peaceful alternative to busy Varkella. Days can be spent in peace and quiet relaxing on the beach and eating and drinking in Babu's restaurant. The food will not disappoint as there is a comprehensive menu for vegetarian and meat eaters. fresh fish is there speciality. There are rooms to suit all budgets and all are well maintained.
Nick and Lorraine ( London)

Room Tip: Go for the sea view
  • Stayed February 2012, travelled with friends
4 Thank Albert C
gopal s, Manager at Palm Tree Heritage, responded to this review, 15 April 2012
Thank you for writing your nice and pleasant experience you had with us in our palmtree.We are also glad to you all like we have met so many nice and polite guests in our property.Your nice and satisfied experiences makes us to do more and improve our experiences for you in the future also.
Turn Your Opinions into Points!
Turn your opinions into JPMiles
Turn your opinions into PAYBACK Points
*You can enroll in only one programme at a time to earn rewards for reviews.
JPMiles / Payback Arrow
JPMiles / PAYBACK

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (224)
  • Polish first
Portland, Oregon
Reviewed 28 March 2012

It was my first, relatively short, trip to India. As an American woman traveling alone, I was quite discerning in my choice of accomodation across South India from Chennai to Kerala - ending with a short stay at the Palm Tree Heritage. I arrived from a houseboat trip in the backwaters, and was very impressed with the size and quality of the room - which was beautifully decorated, impeccably clean, and had a HUGE bathroom with a shower and big tub. No TV in the room, but I had no interest in watching TV so that didn't bother me, and that was consistent for the heritage properties I stayed at in other parts of India.

The hotel itself oozes with romantic charm. But it's little - compared with the other hotels I'd stayed in. But small, in this case, is definitely better. Also, compared to the other large luxury hotels I'd booked in Chennai, Madurai, and Thikkady, this place is way more low-key and understated. No Uniformed bellmen and white gloved, but awkward, formal service here. The grounds are also less formal than other places, but are profoundly beautiful and in harmony with the surrounding beaches.

My other experiences in fine hotels in India is that you get walled off from the outside world. That's not true at the Palm Tree either. The beach is a kind of thoroughfare for local folks and tourists alike, and it's a working fishing beach.

As other posters have noted, it's the staff here that really make the experience special. Especially because I was traveling alone, I really appreciated getting to know Babu, who runs the place, the guys who work here (doing everything from bringing you a cup of tea to carrying your bag, to calling you a rickshaw, to cashing your travelers checks, to?) and the sweet ladies who take care of the rooms and grounds.

One night very late, I got very ill. Finding Babu in the office, he made sure I was well taken care of- sending me to the local hospital with a staff member (Jackson) and rickshaw driver to help me (and hold my hand while I was given shots and an IV). Jackson stayed with me in the hospital all night and got me back to the hotel in the morning. After that, everyone treated me with extreme kindness and te kind of care you'd expect from a pack of big brothers. Babu fixed up my, now destroyed, travel schedule and got me safely back to the states. But, here's the thing, they kept me smiling and laughing the whole time - turning a scary and otherwise terrible experience into one of the most memorable (in a good way) travel experiences of my life. Now that's REAL luxury! I can't wait to go back!

• Stayed March 2012
4 Thank AubreyBaldwin
gopal s, Manager at Palm Tree Heritage, responded to this review, 30 March 2012
Thank you Aubrey that you have shared your good experiences that you had here and it gives pleasure to all our staffs and they really miss your innocence and kind behaviour that you have also showed them.We are always give our prime consideration to humanity and its equal to everyone and for our guests we are always awake here to help them in all way.If your tears and sadness will fall on our property its a curse for us and we will always try to give happiness to everyone and spread smiles in everyface.We are also got sad when u got ill here but after we did see the smiles on your face it has given more and more pleasure to us.So many people miss you and your nice manner you have spent with us.take care
GVA
Reviewed 27 March 2012

We had a wonderful time there. Babu, the manager of the hotel, has two facilities. One is the main place with big beautiful rooms. The other one is the annex where the room come a little cheaper.

As usual I took care of the reservation much too late, and Babu told us that there was availability in the Annex. Well, usually I get the shivers, as Annex are no good. Yet I said yes ok. And actually the Annex was just fine! It was a building a 2 minutes walk from the hotel and restaurant, with three stories and balcony facing the sea. DELIGHTFUL. The only problem we got was that one friday the Mohezzine nearby went bezerk on his followers and it last what it seemed hours :D

We got to try also the main building rooms, and yes they are beautiful, but if there's no room the Annex is perfect, same staff, same hotel, same restaurant.

As for the restaurant, yes it might be a bit long, but you're facing the sea and you're on vacation no? Food is fresh and made on the spot and delightful. Don't miss the Spicy Lassy for those who like it hotter.

Staying there you're a 25 minutes stroll by the sea from the village, which is a marvelous walk. Or in a couple of minutes by rickshaw.

• Stayed December 2011, travelled with family
gopal s, Manager at Palm Tree Heritage, responded to this review, 30 March 2012
Thank you benito for your nice and lovely review.We are very glad to know that you enjoyed our both of the properties very much.We are going to make our palmtree annex also more and more good in the coming season.Our staffs are really delightful and happy to do service for you all again and again.Your smiles coming from a joyful heart is making us more and more inspiring to be always on your service.we are hoping you to be back again here with us for a beautiful holiday.
New York City, New York
Reviewed 21 March 2012

Unfortunately, we only stayed two nights at this lovely Varkala hideaway. It has it's own little section of beach about a ten minute walk away from the main drag and I found it entirely preferable to the heavily touristed strip. The rooms are pristine and nicely appointed and the staff only too happy to help you. Special thanks to Babu who was so accommodating and helpful with arranging visits to town and answering questions. The cafe is delicious, mellow and affordable. Terrific langoustines caught fresh. An absolutely lovely stay!

• Stayed March 2012, travelled with friends
2 Thank gatosiesta
gopal s, Manager at Palm Tree Heritage, responded to this review, 27 March 2012
Thank you for your nice experience you have shared here with others.We are always inspired of your good experiences that you had here and it makes us to improve our services more and more.We always keep the best cheffs,waiters,housekeeping and management staffs with us to assure 100% of satisfaction for our guests.Not only ours but also we are more keen about all those tourists who are coming here in varkala and we will do all services for them as our management staffs are so much reputed in tourism.
New York City, New York
Reviewed 19 March 2012

My friends and I recently returned from a whirlwind two-week tour of India, only loosely planned prior to departure - ending with 3 nights in Varkala. We chose Palm Tree Heritage based on its popularity on this site, however word has spread and (unsurprisingly) upon arrival all rooms were all booked. Babu was very welcoming and informed us that they recently (within the past few months) renovated a second part of the hotel a few meters down the beach road, which had a vacant room for the evening. While I can't speak for the main rooms, ours was similarly comfortable and clean as mentioned in prior reviews, with audible ocean sounds. The best parts were access to a quieter area of the beautiful beach where you can relax by day and enjoy meals by night, and the genuinely friendly staff. Also had the best red snapper of my life.

• Stayed March 2012, travelled with friends
gopal s, Manager at Palm Tree Heritage, responded to this review, 27 March 2012
Thank you lindsay for writing a good and nice review that you have got here.we are very delightful to hear your amazing happiness that you had with us and its our honour that you shared this to us.We are planning to add more services with us in the coming year which can fulfill all needs of the tourists .