“Possibly the friendliest place I've ever stayed.”
Review of Mummy Bamboo House

Mummy Bamboo House
Ranked #13 of 98 Varkala B&B and Inns
Oslo, Norway
“Possibly the friendliest place I've ever stayed.”
Reviewed 15 March 2012

I came to this guesthouse on the back of another traveller's recommendation and was very glad I did.

The lady who runs it was very friendly and welcoming and I felt I had no choice but to stay!

My room (500R) was nice and clean. The double bed had a framed mosquito net allowing lots of space within it. Bathroom had a tiled floor. A crate of water was provided (pay for what you drink obviously) which I thought was a nice touch.

Outside was a hammock, chairs and table. It lacked privacy as it faced the backdoor area of the neighbouring guesthouse where the owners of that place would sit. But they were smiley and friendly. There were blinds I could have lowered if I'd wanted.

It's set a bit back from the cliff edge so lacks the seaviews of some places but it's a 3 minute walk and you're on the beach.

Having eaten at a nearby restaurant and got the password for their wifi I was then able to borrow the connection from my hammock.

The owner can wash you clothes and also cook you meals. She made me lunch one day and it was AMAZING. Really tasty and colourful. I didn't have a clue what most of it was but it was delicious. Even if you don't stay here you should come and ask her to cook.

Highly recommended.

When in Varkala I also recommend you go to Coffee Temple run by Londonite Les. They make possibly the best full English breakfast I've had outside of England. The coffee was pretty good too.

In the evening head to Chill Out - does what is says on the tin. A great bar/restaurant/chill out place. They show films, football, Indian MTV (crazy.) The staff are great and unlike almost everywhere else I've been in India I felt no divide between them and us foreigners.

• Stayed March 2012, travelled solo
1 Thank Supadappa
Turn Your Opinions into Points!
Turn your opinions into JPMiles
Turn your opinions into PAYBACK Points
*You can enroll in only one programme at a time to earn rewards for reviews.
JPMiles / Payback Arrow
JPMiles / PAYBACK

Business
Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (16)
  • Polish first
Bristol, United Kingdom
Reviewed 2 March 2012

Just to make this clear - we didn't stay at the guesthouse. Only did the cooking lessons.

We decided to take cooking lessons at Mummy Bamboo house after the other well known cooking school in Varkala cancelled on us twice. But boy, I'm glad they did!

Rani is a lovely woman, very gentle and giggly! She gets the ingredients fresh so you must book a day in advance or at least early in the morning.

We chose the non-veg option and ended up cooking at least 5 different dishes including a lovely tuna curry. These classes are great value at (I can't remember exactly but somewhere around) 300 - 400 Rupees per person for 2 hours of cooking.

Although she's a great teacher and she keeps going over the basic ingredients to help you remember, it would of been nice to have some kind of booklet with the recipes in because as soon as I left I couldn't think of one thing we'd used in the cooking!

We loved where we stayed in Varkala but looking at Mummy Bamboo Guesthouse and the happy residents we would definitely consider staying here next time :)

• Stayed February 2012, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Greedy-Whiskers
tvedestrand
Reviewed 26 February 2012

Just agree with everybody that is happy about this place.
Fantastic service,,thanx rahni and sudhanen for all the help and organising tours.
Great location to the beach and restaurants. About 60 meter walk:-)
Will for 100% sure come back here whenever we'r going back to varkala.
Dont doubt booking this guesthouse. Do it now:-)
Lars & Isa /Norway

• Stayed February 2012
2 Thank lewis6Tvedestrand
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed 18 February 2012

On my own and travelling to Kerala for the first time, I booked this guesthouse for a few days (without reading any reviews) and arranged for Sudhanen to meet me in the middle of the night from the airport. I intended to move on, but was so happy there I ended up staying till I had to come home.
The guesthouse is in a quiet location, but within a minute you are on the clifftop with extensive shops and restaurants, loads of ayurvedic massage and yoga places and steps down to the beach.
I moved rooms whilst staying there, but that didn't bother me, especially as I extended my stay at the last minute. I liked the extra light and fan switches by the bed - in most places I've stayed they are just by the door, a bore when you don't want to get up! The towels and sheets were really clean and fresh, as were the bathrooms. The fans worked well, and mosquito nets were supplied. The upstairs room I had, with a balcony, was especially good.
Nice touch - a large supply of bottled water, roll of loo paper and soap were in the room on arrival.
Most important - you must have Rani's fabulous thalis, and her banana and coconut pancakes are totally addictive! Cooked in a banana leaf with such fresh ingredients, I'm not sure it's possible to re-create them back here in London, so I'll have to go back and eat Rani's again.
Sudhanen, Rani and their children are delightful, helpful and really made me feel like a family guest. They took me to a temple festival one night, Rani and I went shopping in Varkala together another day, and she was really kind and attentive when I wasn't well for a couple of days.
I intend to go back to beautiful Kerala, with its friendly people and wonderful food, and will certainly return to Mummy Bamboo House.
Thank you, Rani and Sudhanen, for helping to make my first trip to Varkala such an enjoyable one. I look forward to seeing you again.

• Stayed February 2012, travelled solo
3 Thank jerilyn b
Wolverhampton
Reviewed 14 February 2012

It's just a short stroll from any of the rooms at mummy bamboo to the busy strip of lovely cafes and shops on the beach cliff at varkala. Although close, you're still far enough away to feel like you can escape the rest of the tourists. There was only ever a trickle of people walking past our room, which was at the front of the building.

It's a real family affair. After confirming our booking the week previous, Sudhanen picked us up from the airport (overpriced but very handy direct when you arrive tired and weary), and Rani made sure we were comfortable in the room with a cold bottle of coke upon arrival. Our room was a nice double at the front with our own hammock. We had asked for fan only but decided on Air con for the extra price. The room and bathroom were basic, but clean. Our only complaint were the sheets on the bed which were a little moth eaten in places, and slightly stained, but you knew they were clean. If you're going to stop here, be advised the mosquito net was also full of holes. This wasn't a problem for us as wed taken our own anyway, and I'm sure Rani would have provided a new one if we had asked. She also provided a lovely breakfast and dinner for a very reasonable cost on our second night. A nice, relaxing location away from the crowds.

Room Tip: Make sure you ask ahead for rani to cook you one of her lovely keralan dinners.