All reviews the owner basket ball perfect place home away from home dining table laid back mosquito net double bed highly recommend this place off season varkala cliff sonia dorm hammocks chill volleyball india
Reviewed 23 January 2018

I stayed at Shiva Gardens for three days in January. I had a room with a bathroom at the back of the garden. The room was adequate (not particularly clean) but the bathroom was dirty and it didnt seem as if it had been cleaned for a long time. Strangely, the room I had is the one in the pictures used to advertise the property!!. On my third night a horror story unfolded...I woke up in the middle of the night to find, at first a cockroach, then two then three .... In my panic I stamped on one of the blighters which in retrospect was a big no no. Within minutes there were masses of these horrible vile creatures, circling my bed, trying to take their partly dead colleagues away. It was a nightmare situation with some flying cockroaches using me as a landing pad. Needless to say I didnt get a wink of sleep and It was the most awful of nights.
In the morning I approached the owner and tried to tell him about the cockroach nest in my room. I was taken aback by his reaction which was; a shrug of the shoulders and a look which suggested that he knew of the problem but had rented the room to me anyway.....
I can accept that Shiva Gardens is probably not the only budget place in Varkala with cockroaches.... I guess, these blighters get transported in by travellers, but the thing that surprised me most was the nonchalant behaviour/ response of the owner. Not even a hint of sympathy, for the awful night I had endured. He just handed me my bill and then once paid, disappeared, no doubt ready to rent the room once again to another unsuspecting traveller.
On the pro side the place has reasonable wifi, the food from the kitchen is passable …. the people working there are helpful and the Yoga guy, Alma is good..
The Shiva Garden Homestay seems to have a loyal following which was partly the reason I stayed there. Because of this following I expect nothing to change....... complaints, no complaints the owner doesnt appear to care, which is sad.

Room tip: I would suggest that most of the ground floor rooms at the back are a no no
Date of stay: January 2018
  • Trip type: Travelled solo
2  Thank hotslough
Reviewed 27 December 2017 via mobile

This perfect place to while away your time in Varkala (when not on the beach).

The place has a quiet and pretty garden, a kitchen that can provide Southern Indian breakfast dishes, main meals, fruit juices, etc. and really friendly, helpful staff. The garden’s communal area also made meeting and socialising with other guests easy.

I stayed in the dorm - it’s fairly basic (you’re under a mosquito net, in a space with a roof but walls open to the elements), but it was clean, the beds were reasonable and it was nice to wake up to birdsong in the morning. It may not always be the slickest operation, but the whole place has a lovey homespun charm that definitely contributed to me extending my stay in Varkala.

Trip type: Travelled solo
Reviewed 26 December 2017 via mobile

The staff was amazing and really helpfull. The common room was super great! Super good vibe and you can chill there all day. But the room was not so good. It was quite clean, but the bed sheets were made of a rough material. The pillow was extremely hard. The shower had no warm water. There came almost no water out of the tap. The fan was extremely noisy. If you want to meet great people and have a good time go to this place, but don't expect a comforty room. I hope in the future that the owner will improve the rooms, because then this hostel would be perfect.

Date of stay: December 2017
Trip type: Travelled as a couple
Reviewed 15 December 2017

The perfect place to stay on a vacation to Varkala.This is a very laid back and chilled out place that i recommend visiting not just as a place for staying but visiting it for the sake of a different experience altogether. This place brings in the vibes of peace, gentle trance, tour-trip.You can either choose to get lost into the trippy doodles wall art while listenting to ambient and deep music being played outside or rest on the hammocks underneath the canopy of trees listening to gentle chirps of birds
Pros-
1.Very cheap and economic price for stays
2.Stay options- dormitory, double bed rooms, thatched roof hut
3.Close to beach (walking distance)
4.Has book shelf full of novels, game-boards-chess, ludo, monopoly near the dining table accessible to customers to enjoy with food.
5.Has badminton, volley-ball, basket-ball for outdoor games near the hammocks underneath the trees.
Cons-
1.The food isnt as good as the place is.
Must Eat-Onion uthapam, Nutella pancake Dont eat-chicken noodles, Egg fried rice
2.Mosquitos can be irritating inside the rooms
3.Like majority of stays & restaurants at Varkala, digital India has not reached this place(Payment can be done only in cash. No paytm, no swipe machine)
OVERALL SCORE: 8.5/10

• Trip type: Travelled with friends
shivagarden, Owner at Shiva Garden, responded to this reviewResponded 17 December 2017

Dear Jay,

Thanks for the positive Review.We are always trying to give our best to our guests.We are doing our best to make our guests comfortable and well.

Thanks a lot

Reviewed 19 September 2017

This is a completely charming, family run guest house. I have stayed here at least 5 times over the last 5-6 years, and it is the perfect little retreat when India gets intense and you need some down time. Away from the madness of the main cliff in Varkala, they have a simple but delicious little restaurant and a beautiful garden to relax in. Jayan is the perfect host, super helpful and a very interesting person, along with his partner Sonia (who offers amazing therapies and personal development help) and his adorable little girls. I highly recommend this place to all. Thank you Jayan and Sonia.

Date of stay: October 2016
  • Trip type: Travelled with friends
shivagarden, Owner at Shiva Garden, responded to this reviewResponded 15 October 2017

Thanks for the review,we always tried our best to make our guest comfortable and well.We are always trying to improve our services also.Thanks for all the support from our guests