All reviewsperfect placemosquito nethighly recommend this placesoniadormhammocksswingaccommodationindiayogahomestaysolotherapiessoulcliffsretreat
Reviewed 30 April 2015

Have stayed at Shiva Garden three times and have always experienced true family hospitality. On the second visit my daughter was recovering from a motorbike accident and Jayan really made sure she was looked after.

• Stayed: May 2014, travelled with family
4  Thank JohannesburgPeter
Reviewed 29 April 2015

I was traveling in south india last summer and spent about 1 week at the Shiva Garden Homestay. The homestay is beautiful, has good food and is close to the beach. Sonia and her whole family provide a warm atmosphere, and you can have Yoga every morning on the rooftop, which is just amazing.

But the most important thing was the Life Coach Sessions. During Yoga once in the morning, Sonia asked me if I am interesting to get to know me better and want learn how to help myself getting what I want in life. I was quite interested so we started the Life Coach training.

Having access to Sonias knowledge was a huge privilege. Those days in Varkala were some of my happiest and clearest in my life. The life coach sessions opened my eyes and I am still drawing on the energy and ease she shared with me. I am still working on myself, doing meditation every day, preparing myself for my life´s work.

Thank you very much Sonia and I wish you and your family a life full of happiness and good fortune!

Room Tip: Rooms are typically indian, Backpacker style, but with bathroom in most of the rooms
  • Stayed: September 2014, travelled solo
4  Thank Silvia G
Reviewed 27 April 2015

Made my trip a dream! The staff are friendly, there's badminton, rooms are enormous considering price, dogs are cute, great for local knowledge, friendly travelers, easy access to the beach, food is malayali, there's a convenience store opposite, nirvana yoga next door. My only complaint is that the WiFi is patchy, but this will be the case literally everywhere. Buy an MTS dongle if you want decent internet. There is some bureaucracy, but it's definitely worth it.

Room Tip: the 800 INR room is incredible
  • Stayed: April 2015, travelled solo
4  Thank Prabhath P
Reviewed 15 April 2015

I visited this hostel for 2 nights in March 2015 and, as the other reviewers have said, it was lovely.

Pros:
-Really nice energy in the garden
-Friendly guests and a welcoming common area (with wifi)
-The staff went above and beyond to ensure that we had a room we liked and felt comfortable during our stay
-Walking distance to the cliff
-Daily yoga classes
-Great value for price
-The biggest pro, though, was the life coaching session with Sonia. She radiates positive energy and wisdom, and created time in her packed schedule to share that wisdom and help me get clarity on a situation I was facing. She went above and beyond, sending me other resources and links so I could continue to benefit from her perspective after the session was over. I highly recommend her.

Cons:
-The rooms are locked by a sliding lock and padlock and have only one key, which means that if you're sharing a room, you'll need to coordinate with your roommate so the other person doesn't get locked in or out
-No air conditioning in the rooms, which can get stuffy if you don't have the windows/door open
-There's also no wifi or hot water in the rooms, which aren't essential at all (you don't want hot water in Kerala in March), but thought I'd mention

Other:
-The area between Shiva Garden and Varkala Cliff gets extremely dark at night and can be a bit isolated if you're returning home when the restaurants around the cliff close, so bring a flashlight (or keep your cell phone charged)
-You should also bring sunscreen and bug spray

Enjoy your stay!

• Stayed: March 2015, travelled with friends
4  Thank joyb123
Reviewed 13 April 2015

Shiva Garden is a really lovely place with lots of different options for rooms. It's a great place to meet people and it's close to the beach. The staff were all really helpful and friendly! You can easily spend all day relaxing in the garden drinking masala chai.

Room Tip: There was free wifi available but my room was too far away to reach it so if you definitely need wifi in your room check that your room can get signal.
  • Stayed: March 2015, travelled solo