All reviews the owner basket ball perfect place home away from home dining table laid back mosquito net double bed highly recommend this place off season varkala cliff sonia dorm hammocks chill volleyball india
Reviewed 2 October 2013

I was so lucky to have been lead to Shiva Garden. I spent one week here very happily. I learned yoga from the owner on a beautiful deck in the treetops on property. She also offered one to one life coaching which was very helpful to my on my path. As I was taking flute lessons from a local artist, Venu the guests got the pleasure of hearing his divine melodies as well. The guests seam to enjoy the community atmosphere and there was often a good conversation happening in the backyard hut where one could also order good traditional Kerala food and western food as well. There was one long term resident from England who was writing a book here as well as tourists passing through. Shiva Garden was a cozy and peaceful, clean and friendly home away from home. Thank you for the memorable visit!

Date of stay: June 2013
1  Thank vnoooo
Reviewed 22 May 2013

I had the greatest pleasure of staying here for 3 days and I would recommend shiva garden to any traveler wanting a break fro the fast paced life of India. The owners both work have a welcoming and calming manner and treat their guests as family. There is not a request they cannot fulfill, be it from filling an empty belly to belly dancing lessons to yoga classes. This place is for the traveler who wants community and friendship and peace surrounding them. Truly the only place one should consider staying on the north cliff.

Date of stay: May 2013
2  Thank Callum F
Reviewed 18 April 2013

Shiva Garden.... It makes me sad to see people writing bad reviews because of smoking hippies and spiders about such a great place. You can find this everywhere in India. And spiders are able to get into a 5 star hotel room too.
Shiva Garden is a special place with lovely people like Jayan and Sonja running that place together with Liju and the Abu.
It seems like Shiva Garden attracts a special kind of people. It is like a community - everyone cares about evryone. You can go to the 5 star hotel next door but here you meet the real travellers who can become real good friends, who can become a part of you're "family", who care about you if you don't feel good and you can have a lot of fun with.
We spend a lot of time laying in the hamacks, making new friendships and listening to the stories of other people while having a great chai or a really good honey lomon ginger tea.
I spend most of the time sleeping in he dorm and a few nights in a room. I slept better in the dorm than in the room in the front because in the dorm the barking dogs and rickshaws weren't that loud. But the rooms are clean. The matress in the dorm wasn't as hard as the bed in the room. Well just look at the pictures. What you see is what you get!!

I planned to stay just a few days. In the end I left after 6 or 7 months. It became "home" for me. Now I'm back in Germany after a 6 month trip around the world and I can say that Shiva Garden is a really special place and I'd like to take the next plane back there. I miss the great time I had there and I will definitly go back.

Date of stay: December 2012
4  Thank AnninaBlue
Reviewed 15 April 2013 via mobile

I came to stay at shiva gardens after two people had randomly recommended it to me, independently of one another, and am so happy i did!!! The ten or so days i spent were some of my happiest travelling days ever. The communal area is great, and for once truly communal, and i met an abundance of truly wonderful people there that i m still in touch with, and so, so happy about. I really liked the dorms, they feel very spacious and wonderfully open, even though i moved to a room in the end, for conveniences sake. The owners are wonderfully sweet and caring, and the whole place has a uniquely happy, lovely, sociable feel to it. I d be happy to recommend it to anyone but the most die hard conventional luxury freaks and i m hoping to find myself back there at some point in the future. Jayan, sonja, thank you, from the bottom of my heart for this wonderful experience!!!

Date of stay: January 2013
2  Thank Balkanlover
Reviewed 8 April 2013

We are no Spring Chick's being in our mid 60's.If you live in a manicured artificial
world don't come here go next door.If you love life wart's and all and if you have love for your fellow man this is the place for you.Yes it's quirky and has character and is inhabited by
characters.It reminds us of the 60's when you made love not war,when you had bare feet and
flower's in your hair.We didn't find it clicky at all.All nationalities were there,from all walk's of life
and all age's.It became an extended family.The whole world should live like this.We spent nearly 5 week's at the Shiva in February.

Date of stay: February 2013