All reviews perfect place mosquito net highly recommend this place sonia dorm india yoga homestay therapies soul retreat
Reviewed 25 September 2012

I stayed at Shiva Garden twice - once in high season, once in low season. Both times were fantastic - Jayan and Sonia are so down to earth, and really will try to accommodate you no matter what you budget and requirements are. It's tucked slightly back further from the beach, which means it's a total square of peace, away from the hustle and bustle. There are big tables for people to meet, games and books, hammocks and my favourite - A GIANT SWING. That's a reason to visit on its own. There are basic dorms for those on a real budget as well as pricier but prettier rooms. In short, something for everyone.

• Stayed: July 2012, travelled solo
5  Thank Lucy H
Reviewed 20 July 2012

We stayed at Shiva Gardens at the start of our India trip and found it a great place; slightly tucked away from the hustle and bustle of the Cliff and so close to the beach; We felt really taken care of by Jayan, Sonia and all the staff; everybody always tries to meet your needs. The food coming out of the little kitchen is just great; we specially love the garden and the outdoor lounge area; we made also some good friends during our stay there. Throughout our travelling we always missed this place as we never found any other even closely like it, so we decided to end our India trip at Shiva Gardens, which proved to be the ideal place for a nice respite from the dust of the Indian road. To get the best out of your stay we suggest the Shiva Garden breakfast, walking to the Black beach and Kappil beach, lots of sunsets on the beach and a trip to the Golden island... We will definitely return!

Stayed: June 2012, travelled as a couple
3  Thank CristinaSantos656
Reviewed 24 June 2012

I was recommended to stay at Shiva Garden by a friend and I was not disappointed. I had a lovely airy room, a cute balcony and thoughtful finishing touches such as candles, incense and seashells in the bathroom. It was clean, well presented and suited my needs perfectly. There is a swimming pool at the hotel next door that you can pay a small fee to use.
It is 5min walk to the cliff and beaches, and a torch is advisable in the evenings as the way is not always well lit.

I enjoyed enormous bowls of fresh fruit salad in the peaceful garden and took yoga lessons with Sonya every day. I was the most relaxed I've felt on my travels so far. I changed my travel plans in order to stay longer at Shiva Garden because 3 days just wasn't enough. This place has a wonderful feel about it and I look forward to coming back.

• Stayed: June 2012, travelled solo
5  Thank SallyPn
Reviewed 9 June 2012

Such a fantastic guesthouse: friendly and helpful staff; large and clean rooms to suit every budget; wonderful gardens; tasty food served from the kitchen; and many fun parties.
My first stay here (2 months) was in room 106: huge 1st-floor room with king-size double bed; en-suite shower/wc; mosquito net; ceiling fan. So much cheaper, and so much cleaner than the rooms I'd seen on the cliff, and yet only a 5 minute walk away. I settled in quickly, met so many inspiring people, and found it very hard to leave.
AND very hard not to come back: which I did, and stayed for another 2 months in 1 of the 4 apartments.... HUGE double bedroom with a very grand and spacous en-suite bathroom, and a reception room with chaise longue, TV, and kitchenette.
But it's the communal garden that is Shiva Garden's ace card: a great place to relax, eat, lay in a hammock, play badminton, and meet many of the wonderful guests that are drawn to this fantastic place.
If you plan to visit Varkala, Shiva Garden is THE place to stay. Whatever your budget, there's an apartment/room/dorm bed to suit you. You won't be disappointed. ENJOY!!!

• Stayed: November 2011, travelled solo
6  Thank IanDennis
Reviewed 6 June 2012

Shiva garden is a wonderfull place. Makes you feel at home. Don't get me wrong, it's not as Europe, it's wery exoctic. Beautifull garden with hamocks, a very high swing, badmington feeld, outdoor showers, traditional Kerala food...but most of all is a place where people meet each other and make new frindships. You can also chill in your quiet room or dorm but the best is to go to the garden and say hello to someone new and then miracles happen. I must say I find these place wery spiritual too. I see it like a non formal ashram where people by themselves create activities and become good teachers to each other. I warmlly recomend this place. To get the best out of it, try to do some work around the garden and some Karma yoga, helping to make these place as nice as your home because that's what Shiva garden is, your home abroad. Salute to all the nice stuff of Shiva garden, and keep on the good work. See you next season.

• Stayed: February 2012, travelled solo