“Terrible stay for a week :(”

Ginger Thiruvananthapuram
Ranked #9 of 95 Hotels in Trivandrum
trivandrum
“Terrible stay for a week :(”
Reviewed 13 April 2012

My company arranged for my stay in Ginger Hotel, Trivandrum. This is one of the worst choice I was not expecting a luxury stay as it is a mid range hotel. However, we were terribly disappointed in each and every aspect.As the days went by our frustration levels got increased :(

1. Customer service is pathetic
2. Rooms are one of the worst we stayed.
3. OMG dont even think of eating in their restaurant, It is not even worth even if you get it for free (However, you will not get it for free infact prices are too high)
4.AC's,Fridge wont work.
5.Torn and strained towels and bedsheets :(
6.Staff dont care about your concerns

I cant even think of any positive points of my stay. The checkout day was the happiest day of our stay.

Room Tip: Prefer this hotel only when entire Trivandrum is wiped off and you don't have anything else to s...
  • Stayed July 2011, travelled on business
2 Thank RajeshPodapala
Turn Your Opinions into Points!
Turn your opinions into JPMiles
Turn your opinions into PAYBACK Points
*You can enroll in only one programme at a time to earn rewards for reviews.
JPMiles / Payback Arrow
JPMiles / PAYBACK

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (38)
Coimbatore, India
Reviewed 27 February 2012

The concept is quite good, but experienced too many minor issues that told me that they have not got their act together.

- The check-in process was quite smooth, but then the magnetic room key did not work. After waiting in the corridor for 15 minutes with their handyman tampering with the lock, they finally decided to give us an alternate room.
- The rooms are very functional, but the walls are not noise-proof. There was quite a bit of commotion in the corridors till late into the night.
- The TV had a sticker that said "TV is equipped with an anti-theft device". That tells you what they think of guests staying at the hotel.
- The electrical switches had loose contacts, and the AC switched off unilaterally in the middle of the night.
- There seems to be some construction activity going on, but leaving the debris in the corridor does not inspire guests.
- The water pressure in the shower is not uniform, and for some reason, it provided alternate hot and cold water, instead of mixing them as it should. Thank goodness the hotel is located in the tropics, so even the cold water was bearable.
- Room service is offered only from 11.30 am to 10 pm, which in my mind does not benefit guests who are here for Business.
- The restaurant is passable with limited menu options, but they served vegetable soup without the vegetables, and we had to ask for them. (wouldn't you think that is a basic requirement :-)?)
- They were able to provide cabs on request, and the travel experience went off without a hitch, including airport pickups and drops.
- While checking out, they missed some bills from the restaurant which I had charged to my room, and I had to volunteer to pay for them.
- They then asked me if I could pay in cash since their systems "are being upgraded". When I refused, they then swiped the card. Something fishy there.
- Then they told me that since the systems are being upgraded, they were not able to print the invoice right away, and that I would have it on email by the end of the day. It is now 24 hours since I checked out, and I am yet to receive it.

Overall opinion....I would not be going back to this hotel.

• Stayed February 2012, travelled with family
1 Thank suresh_2000
Lucknow, India
Reviewed 4 February 2012

The Ginger property at Trivandrum ...even though at the outskirts of Trivandrum is perfect for the pocket of a businessman....Mr.Anoop at the reception was one of the most courteous receptionists i have ever met...he set me up a good view room which was at a throw away price....enjoying a Tata property with such a different set up was a welcome change for me....to wind up i'll just say..Brilliant Concept...and Value for Money...!

• Stayed January 2012, travelled as a couple
Pune, Maharashtra, India
Reviewed 29 December 2011

We are shareholders of Taj Hotels (parent company of Ginger Hotels) and I use some of the other Taj properties regularly during my business travel. So when it came to visiting Thiruvananthapuram (TVM) for a family vacation, we had no hesitation is choosing Ginger. Our expectation was not that of a fancy luxury resort, but that it will be functional and clean.

However, with 8 of us staying in 4 rooms, each of us has been thoroughly disappointed. The complaints range on all fronts. Just to list a few: 1. Most of the Air Conditioners do not work properly. 2. The mini fridges in the rooms also did not work and had to be replaced. 3. The TVs are joke, with only a few channels working well and even then the quality of sound, picture is quite poor. 4. The service is pathetic. Every day we had to keep asking for normal things like towels, tea/coffee supplies etc., stuff that they do give. They do not give much in any case. 5. Room service takes at least 30 minutes. 6. Buffet is repetitive, though reasonably tasty. However, it is always too crowded, and as a result, the tables are not cleaned, the dishes are not refilled quickly and one has to keep waiting. 6. The so-called restaurant in the garden called The Joint did not have much on offer. 7. Hot water is sporadic and even normal water comes out in gushes. 8. The gym is a joke, with hardly any equipment in order. 9. Like someone else pointed out, the bedsheets do not cover the whole bed.

I could go on and on, but suffice it to say that I will never dare venture into a Ginger again. I am really shocked at the Taj brand (though hidden wisely now) can have such pathetic service.

The only thing that worked reasonably well was the wi-fi. Staff is courteous, but quite inefficient.

• Stayed December 2011, travelled with family
1 Thank Nitin D
Toronto, Canada
Reviewed 13 December 2011

My first experience to Ginger hotel was during July 2011 where I remember giing them prior intimation on my check-in time which was aroung 6AM. The flight was delayed and I reached the hotel at around 8AM and waalah the receptionist tells me that I have to wait for 2 hours to get the room. I walked out, checked in at SP Grandays.

Months went by and me and my friend decided to take this hotel again hoping for a better experience and also due to the fact that my client office was walkable distance from this hotel. Reached at 7AM and the receptionist gave us the bad news again. They can give us only one room and one of us need to wait for an hour. "Not again". Food options are very limited and the service is a lot to be desired. Overall a very bad experience.

Room Tip: Take some other hotel
  • Stayed November 2011, travelled on business