Interesting safari/tribal -type village hotel close to the entrance of the Periyar Tiger/Elephant Reserve in the Spice hub town of Thekkady in the mountains. Ideal spot to learn more about spices.
Service: Very friendly and professional staff!
Price/Rates: Quality mid-range accommodation. Restaurant/Bar reasonable.
Location: Good and quiet location walking distance to spice and souvenir shops, restaurants and Periyar. Short driving distance to various Spice Farms.
Food/Restaurant: Good although somewhat limited menu – very good service. Very nice and atmospheric bar from yesteryear with snooker table.
Facilities/Activities: On-site activities include cooking demonstrations, paper making classes, cultural dancing. Pleasant grounds with lush gardens and plenty exotic monkeys. Family orientated pool and small Ayurveda facility. Most activities/ attractions off-site, but easily accessible.
Rooms: Tribal-style bungalows - spacious, clean and very comfortable.
Ayurveda: Definitely not the focus of the property, tucked away and seemed like an after-thought. Also did not notice any Yoga classes, or fitness programmes.
What I liked most: Good and comfortable base to visit Periyar, Spice Farms and Tea plantations. Did a 1 hour elephant ride through the “forest”, which was fun. Spice garden visit a must – very interesting and not touristy.
What I liked least: It is a long and curvy 5 hour drive to get to Spice Village – be prepared. Do not expect an encounter with a Tiger at Periyar Park – or an elephant. Long queues to enter Periyar Park, with basically no chance to see a Tiger, and a remote chance to spot an elephant. We saw some buck and pigs- this excited the jam-packed boat of life vest wearing spectators on a shallow manmade lake.
Special Tip: Stop en-route for tea plantation tour - interesting.
Would I return to this hotel: If you have never done this then this is a Must Do – interesting, educational, different. But once done I would not return.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Spice Village is an eco resort in the hills(thekkady) near the Periyar wildlife sanctuary. A cluster of tribal style huts set in a beautiful spice garden is a great escape for most tourists from the heat of the plains, and also a great place for some adventure activities. We have a comfortable pool, an ayurvedic spa, we organise treks into the forest, bamboo rafting and many more. A walk through the property itself is a great way to explore many aspects of nature and the green initiatives undertaken at this eco resort. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with MakeMyTrip, TripOnline SA, Hotels.com, ClearTrip, HotelQuickly, Yatra, Booking.com, Agoda and TravelGuru so you can book your Spice Village reservations with confidence. We help millions of travellers each month to find the perfect hotel for both holiday and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Spice Village Hotel Thekkady
- Spice Village Thekkady, Kerala