This was our third CGH earth property. The reception area is a bit gloomy and the welcome although more than adequate was less effusive than we had received at Brunton Boatyard and Coconut Lagoon. For a big property it is charmingly well signposted & beautifully landscaped.
We found the whole place a bit claustrophobic although appreciate this is a jungly area so obviously has a lot of trees, Just felt we could never see the sky.
Also the restaurant area feels gloomy.
The pool is v. attractive and the drop in temperature from the coastal area particularly in April is very welcome. We had some torrential downpours in April.
The rooms were very spacious and attractively furnished but the bathrooms were a big let down - as if the designer had totally run out of inspiration. Size wise they are adequate, but there is only a tiny window and it felt like a travel lodge in Warrington, functionality was fine of course.
Food was varied but not quite to the standard we enjoyed at other CGH earth properties and some of the european food really missed the mark, best to stick to Keralan.
We really liked the bar although the barman moved slower than the average glacier, the snooker table was wonderful.
Apparently the boat trip on the lake is not that great as all animals disappear and you have to queue; we wanted to do the bamboo raft trip which sounded great but your kids have to be over 12. The hotel does have a lot of activities though.
Thekkady town provides an interesting walk although you are pestered obviously by shopowners.
The nearby elephant excursion is good fun but a major word of warning - DO NOT get on the elephants back after you have washed it to get sprayed by its trunk. Its undoubtedly good fun but the water is filthy and both my children and I to a lesser extent got very sick for the next 4 days both ends. My wife didn't get sprayed and she was not sick.
Spice Village is a wonderful property it just somehow did not appeal quite as much as the other CGH hotels we visited -
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Spice Village is an eco resort in the hills(thekkady) near the Periyar wildlife sanctuary. A cluster of tribal style huts set in a beautiful spice garden is a great escape for most tourists from the heat of the plains, and also a great place for some adventure activities. We have a comfortable pool, an ayurvedic spa, we organise treks into the forest, bamboo rafting and many more. A walk through the property itself is a great way to explore many aspects of nature and the green initiatives undertaken at this eco resort. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Booking.com, MakeMyTrip, ClearTrip, HotelQuickly, TripOnline SA, Yatra, Hotels.com, Expedia, Agoda and TravelGuru so you can book your Spice Village reservations with confidence. We help millions of travellers each month to find the perfect hotel for both holiday and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Spice Village Hotel Thekkady
- Spice Village Thekkady, Kerala