“genuine ayurvedic way wellness program”

Athreya Ayurvedic Centre
Ranked #1 of 28 Hotels in Kottayam
chicago
“genuine ayurvedic way wellness program”
Reviewed 17 April 2012

My wife and myself went there to try out remedy for our osteoarthritis and waistline obesity problem.Being allopathic physicians we were well aware what allopathic medicine has to offer.We also had a very hectic 3 weeks at Kathmandu,Kolkata and Ranchi.
So these two weeks gave us everything we needed for rejuvenation.
Rural area away from usual largely populated Indian city-no loudspeaker noise,no disel fumes.
Large size rooms with mosquito screens in windows,funtioning a/C,hot water.
Most important was medical(ayurvedic care)The physician ,s diagnostic acumen,management skill was superb.His daily visit-never rushed ,supervision of massage therapy aspect-all these made us feel good at the end of two weeks.
Diet followed the rules of Ayurvedic treatment(classical)-no caffeine,no sugar totally vegeterian for all in my case somewhat more restricted and modified-we liked this total approach.
We are seriously considering a stay for couple weeks every couple of years just for maintenance and tune up.

Room Tip: any of the cottages along the canal
  • Stayed March 2012, travelled as a couple
5 Thank dipubuli
Turn Your Opinions into Points!
Turn your opinions into JPMiles
Turn your opinions into PAYBACK Points
*You can enroll in only one programme at a time to earn rewards for reviews.
JPMiles / Payback Arrow
JPMiles / PAYBACK

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (202)
  • Turkish first
Ascoli
Reviewed 16 April 2012

I have been to India on several occasions to receive ayurvedic treatment. This year (2012) my preferred centre couldn't accommodate me on the dates I required so I cast around and found Athreya Resort. Wow - did I land on my feet. This location is the place to make you feel at home whilst you are having your treatment, Dr Sreejit immediately sussed out my problems, worked out the treatment required and before I knew it I was on the table in the hands of the therapists. The obvious care and attention of the doctors, the skilled work of the therapists, the kindness and attention of the reception, catering and domestic staff was first class. The location is tranquil and green, the accommodation comfortable and private and all leading to a pleasing outcome. Above all though is the skilled, dedicated and effective medical attention provided by Dr Sreejit and his wife Dr Jayalakshmi ,

• Stayed February 2012, travelled solo
4 Thank kobrah
Pondicherry
Reviewed 13 April 2012

What a lovely experience! The place itself is laid back, quiet and peaceful. Just the birds in the mornings--- I used to love hearing them while taking my morning walk. No horns or any other noise at all. We would have our yoga class at 8 am which was very good and relaxing. This was followed by a yummy breakfast of traditional Kerala food- my favourite meal of the day.
The treatments would carry on through the day, each guest going through 2 or 3 sessions according to their needs. The doctor couple running the centre are wonderful. Very committed and sincere.
I did not feel alone or bored for even a moment as I had a great deal to do, read and just chill!
The treatment has helped me and I plan to return there next march.

• Stayed March 2012, travelled solo
4 Thank Nimi55
Kuwait City, Kuwait
Reviewed 30 March 2012

Out of my expectation on the lovely and organic settings of the whole resort. DR Sreejit and Dr Jaya its been great help to bring one back to good health. The staff are warmth and friendly and the treatments are great. Fully equipped with all amenities and yet surrounded by nature paddie fields lovely villagers and of course yummy healthy Ayurvedic food. Keep up the good work and sure will return with my families.. All the best

PHPC, Malaysia

Room Tip: All rooms are unique with or without ac
  • Stayed February 2012, travelled solo
3 Thank PH H
Calgary, Alberta, Canada
Reviewed 12 February 2012

This was my fourth visit in the past 4 years and this time I stayed for 5 weeks. Dr. Sreejit as usual was wonderful. His wealth of knowledge, energy, personal care and friendliness always amazes me. My diabetes was under control the whole time I was there. He also used a special oil burn treatment to get rid of a nodule in my shoulder blade that was irritating me for the longest time. I had a similar thing done on the back of my knees last year and to this day, there is no pain in that particular spot. The staff was wonderful and the cook is a lovely elderly lady that takes pride in what she cooks. The food was delicious.
Now the sad part:
There seems to be a general lack of care and maintenance around the place. small items that were not working or broken a year ago were still in the same condition. Once identified, they were rectified immediately. However there does not seem to be a check list of items to check i.e. the A/C in the room, the door handles, the toilets in the treatment room.
The unkempt treatment room is not acceptable. Constantly had to ensure that they were using clean towels. They were definitely short staffed to handle the number of people there. The treatment rooms were short of basic amenities like enough towels, pillows etc. It appears that the emphasis is on cutting cost on staff and basic amenities. It appeared that the screen in the treatment room had not been cleaned for a year. They need to ask themselves as to why there is such a staff turn over.
A word of advice, if you are planning to visit, I suggest you arrange your own transportation as it is cheaper than going through the clinic. The same goes for arranging a boat ride in the back waters. Not sure if the extra money charged by the taxi drivers is for the taxi drivers or for the clinic.
I have identified the above items to Dr. Sreejit and have no doubt that he will make the necessary changes as the place has tremendous potential if the organization does not get too greedy for small commissions and small amounts as opposed to concentrating on repeat customers.
I will keep in touch with Sreejit to find out how the place is progressing and will base my decision on coming back based on what I find.

Room Tip: If you are going in Dec or Jan, you don't need a room with A/C. You may save some money that way...
  • Stayed January 2012, travelled solo
5 Thank firozpirani
Also consider these accommodations in or near Kottayam
25.6 km away
11.2 km away
The Zuri Kumarakom
The Zuri Kumarakom
#6 of 26 in Kumarakom

Been to Athreya Ayurvedic Centre? Share your experiences!

Turn Your Opinions into Points!
Turn your opinions into JPMiles
Turn your opinions into PAYBACK Points
*You can enroll in only one programme at a time to earn rewards for reviews.
JPMiles / PAYBACK