“Great place to stay”

Ranked #61 of 436 Kochi (Cochin) B&B and Inns
London, England, United Kingdom
“Great place to stay”
Reviewed 30 April 2012

Was in Kochi for a few days, stayed in Rossitta, which was had a fantastic location, 2mins walk from the forth, very affordable prices, pleasant and clean room and the place itself is well kept - lots of wood and greenery around. The stuff were great, very friendly and helpful - they had warm and friendly attitude and they made me feel welcome, provided good recommendation and service. Highly recommended!!

• Stayed December 2011, travelled solo
4 Thank Dalia H
Turn Your Opinions into Points!
Turn your opinions into JPMiles
Turn your opinions into PAYBACK Points
*You can enroll in only one programme at a time to earn rewards for reviews.
JPMiles / Payback Arrow
JPMiles / PAYBACK

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (60)
  • Greek first
London
Reviewed 30 April 2012

I stayed here for 5 nights in March and was very impressed. The room was lovely and spacious and nice and cool. The hotel was spotless! The staff could not do enough for you, they were so friendly and always smiling. Manu was great, he was always there to help us with whatever we needed from booking us a good tuk tuk to organizing us some fantastic day trips. We had to leave very early for one of our trips so he arranged for the chef to get up early to get breakfast for us. The hotel is in a great location, very close to lots of fantastic restaurants, beautiful little shops and just around the corner to the Chinese fishing nets. Kerala was such a laid back place, I really enjoyed my stay there and would definitely go back and would recommend this hotel to friends. I felt so welcomed, especially by Manu and Jebin, such great guys!

• Stayed March 2012, travelled as a couple
7 Thank Anna F
Reviewed 29 April 2012 via mobile

I came to kochi just for a weekend trip! Had two laid- back days in fort kochi and really enjoyed typical Kerala dishes in rossitta restaurant. Suresh, chef, knows how to cook fantastic Kerala fish curry, fried fish and tasty fresh juices;) He is a pretty smart and cheerful person who loves talking to his guests when cooking is done! he works with a decent assistant who is very nice and helpful, too. Tough, don't miss rossitta restaurant and his former colonial atmosphere! You will love it!

• Stayed April 2012
4 Thank Nicola_mumbai
Tel Aviv, Israel
Reviewed 24 April 2012

Aaah, so hard to write a balanced review on this one!

Rooms were great. There is a variety - smaller "single" rooms for Rs 900 (which would be a little inconvenient for a couple), more spacious rooms for around Rs 1800 and upper-floor rooms with balconies for Rs 2500. So maybe the statements made by other reviewers regarding the small rooms were exaggerated. Rooms also come with nice colonial-esque touches - hard-wood furniture etc, and the inner courtyard was very cute. Warm (rather than hot) water was largely available and the A/C, which worked perfectly well, was a great relief. Location could hardly be better.

However, I've had major issues with arrangements made through the front desk as described below. Also front desk staff seemed generally disinterested and constantly busy talking on their cell phones.
Backwater boat tour - at 10pm the receptionist "called" the tour company, then telling me the tour was not available for a half-day, but only for a full day including lunch. 10 hours later, as I was picked up for the tour, I realised there were three people on the same boat who were scheduled to (and did indeed) leave after half a day. Management's response: the tour company was not taking bookings at the time and three other customers were booked at some point in the 10 hours between when my booking had been made and the time the tour commenced, i.e. between 10pm and 8am. I was also charged only for the half day by management.
Ayurveda massage - while it is difficult to estimate how professional a massage is (and I have my doubts regarding this one), there is one measurable factor in any spa treatment - its duration. I had booked a 90-minute treatment through Rossitta, which was performed at what looked like someone's home. When I was done, after dressing up, I noticed only 56 minutes had passed from when I was picked up. To make my point: 56 minutes included pick-up, rickshaw ride, preparation (un-clothing etc), actual treatment, steam bath, wash-up and dressing up. I threw a scene, paid half the cost of the treatment (luckily I had refused to pay in advance) and left on my own. Management's response: I had paid half the price for half a treatment, so it seemed fair to them; also they had never had any complaints regarding to the ayurveda treatment provider and they would investigate my complaint for future guests' benefit.
Luckily the airport transfer arranged through the front desk worked well.

Bottom line: the property itself is great, clean, comfortable and convenient. I would be extra-cautious regarding other arrangements related to this establishment.

Room Tip: There is a huge variety of room sizes and prices - make sure you get the one that's right for yo...
  • Stayed April 2012, travelled solo
1 Thank Chen_Lev_Eshkolot
Cologne, Germany
Reviewed 23 April 2012

I stayed in Kochi for a couple of days and only had food at Rossitta Restaurant. First we went there, because it was next door! But as food was sooo excellent we only went there for dinner. I highly recommend the Kerala Fish Curry made by Suresh, Chef! The best I ever had. He is a very smart and helpful guy and he always took care of his guests. Any time we had dinner he showed up and did some nice jokes. Though if you are looking for typical Kerala dishes, have dinner at Rossitta Restaurant in Rose Street. And don't forget to ask for Suresh! You will enjoy it :)

• Stayed April 2012, travelled with friends