“Fantastic!”
Review of Old Harbour Hotel

Old Harbour Hotel
Ranked #2 of 214 Hotels in Kochi (Cochin)
Reviewed 12 April 2017

We spent two idyllic nights at the Old Harbour Hotel at the end of March. It is a 350-year-old heritage hotel that has been tastefully renovated, providing all the luxury we needed while retaining the feeling of old Cochin.

We are a family of three (with a teenage boy) and we booked a suite overlooking the main courtyard. There was plenty of space for all three of us in the graciously appointed room. The bathroom was large and modern with a great shower. Although there is a restaurant in the courtyard that serves dinner, any noise there might have been did not reach our room. Breakfast every morning in the restaurant was delicious; the doors were open to the courtyard where we could hear birdsong and see the huge trees within and beyond the walls. It was a choice of European style, with eggs and toast, or South Indian. Since I'm of the opinion that South Indian breakfast is one of the best in the world, I had that both days and enjoyed it. (I would have liked to South Indian filter coffee but we got regular coffee that wasn't as great as it should have been.) The pool is clean and perfect for taking a dip; some guests spent a lot of time there though we were busy exploring the town. I loved taking my journal to one of the tables in the courtyard, ordering a drink, and writing. It was a haven away from the hustle and bustle.

I cannot say enough good things about the staff at Old Harbour. They were all friendly and helpful, so gracious and kind. Just one example: When we mentioned to them that we wanted to celebrate my dad's 81 birthday at the hotel (he and my brother—and his family—were staying at another hotel), they arranged for us a lovely table for dinner. At the end of our delicious meal, the staff appeared with a chocolate cake (with a trick candle!) and a bouquet of red roses for my dad—as the musicians in the courtyard struck up "Happy Birthday." They didn't have to do this, but they did.

Old Harbour is an enchanting place—if I could have stayed a week, a month, I would have. I cannot recommend it enough. We were all sad to leave and hope one day to return.

A huge thank you to everyone at The Old Harbour for creating such a beautiful experience!

Room Tip: We liked our room overlooking the courtyard. All the rooms are unique. You may contact the hotel to...
  • Stayed: March 2017, travelled with family
Turn Your Opinions into Points!
Turn your opinions into JPMiles
Turn your opinions into PAYBACK Points
*You can enroll in only one programme at a time to earn rewards for reviews.

Reviewed 10 April 2017 via mobile

Just visited hotel for two nights and loved the stay. The staff were super friendly and efficient nothing too much trouble. Great locaton on town square every thing on doorstep.
Would definitely stay again

Stayed: April 2017, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 9 April 2017

We spent 2 nights here at the end of our busy holiday and would have loved to have stayed longer. This hotel is in one of the many beautiful colonial houses in Kochi. We were welcomed warmly and taken to our simple but beautiful enormous room, resplendent with four poster bed and gorgeous teak floor.
We ate all our meals here and had no complaints. The service was excellent and the food delicious. There is no enclosed dining room so the first night we ate in the charming garden which was tastefully decorated with lights. We were also entertained with live music - wonderful but rather hot and some mosquitoes. The next night we ate inside which is still open to the garden but a little cooler!
The hotel is in a great location, making walking out and about very easy and pleasant.
I would strongly recommend it.

• Stayed: March 2017, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 5 April 2017

Stayed 3 nights at old harbour hotel. Great location...quite by the sea. Food good and staff attentive. We received flowers and a cake as it was my daughters birthday...which was a lovely surprise ! Room really nice, clean and AC. We had a downstairs room which got some noise from above as all wood floors, but apart from that the hotel was very peaceful. We were able to organise a boat trip to the back waters and got picked up from hotel.

Room Tip: Maybe get upstairs room to avoid noise from above
  • Stayed: March 2017, travelled with family
Reviewed 30 March 2017

I first stayed at Old Harbour in 2008, and I've been back a few times since. In all this time, the simplicity and elegance of this establishment has remained intact. I am a huge fan of the architecture, the rooms, the food, the location, and - most importantly - the warm yet unobtrusive service. It's a wonderful combination of informality and refinement, and a great example of what Kerala (and India) have to offer. My compliments to the Old Harbour team on a fine product. I look forward to my next stay.

• Stayed: March 2017, travelled as a couple