The delightful Brunton Boatyard was my absolute favourite of all the lovely places we stayed on our Kerala trip. Extremely comfortable but with great character and a visible commitment to sustainability.
A fabulous colonial-style (but actually newly built) hotel, airy lobby open to the grounds, old fashioned ceiling fans and high antique beds. A beautiful pool right on the sea front and, really special, evening cruises across Cochin Harbour (included in the price) in their own gentleman's launch.
Being right on the water you get a real sense of this fascinating bustling city on the sea and the from the ferry stop next door you can head off via Vypin for adventures in the modern city of Ernakulam - for just a few pence. I loved the sight and sound of the shipping (everything from tankers to warships to dugout canoes went past my window) but in case harbour life is a bit too noisy for you, they thoughtfully provide earplugs.
A lovely feature is the bathrooms - instead of the usual windowless boxes, they are spacious and light and face over the harbour.
Apart from the friendly, helpful service, things I particularly appreciated included the breakfast preserves and bath products in refillable ceramic pots (not the usual plastic ones adding to India's waste disposal crisis) and disposal bags made from old newspaper. They do communal tipping - much more convenient for guests and fairer to behind-the-scenes staff.
The only downsides were slightly erratic breakfast service (I think our waiter was a new trainee) and in the evening the restaurant was very very pricey - after the first night we headed instead for the Arca Nova restaurant at the nearby Fort House hotel. Views just as stunning, food pretty good and a fraction of the price.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- This CGH Earth property is located in Fort Cochin, right in the middle of all the historic monuments, right in front of the mouth of the harbour, and with a magnificent view of all the grand ships coming into Cochin. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Expedia, Booking.com, ClearTrip, Hotels.com, Agoda and Yatra so you can book your Brunton Boatyard reservations with confidence. We help millions of travellers each month to find the perfect hotel for both holiday and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Brunton Boatyard Hotel Kochi (Cochin)
- Brunton Boatyard Kochi (Cochin), Kerala
- Brunton Boatyard Cochin