“Awful experience” 1 of 5 bubbles

Tag und Nacht
Trivandrum
“Awful experience”
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 23 April 2012

After reading all the amazing reviews on here for Tag und Nacht, my husband and I decided to give them a go since we needed a place to stay for one night. Being pretty seasoned visitors to Cochin (my husband is from Kerala and I am Australian) we didn't mind the idea of being slightly out of the main part of town etc. and just liked the idea of a nice homestay environment. Unfortunately, we found anything but that. In fact, to be honest, we didn't even get past the check-in stage... I feel like I have the right to leave a review on here, however, because the way we were treated by Antonio has left such a terrible mark on us.

After we dragged our bags upstairs to our room (which looked incredibly average for the asking price, by the way - clean perhaps, but so lacking in the character and charm that most places in the Fort possess) Antonio said that he would be back in a few minutes to collect our passports... Of course, as a foreigner I had mine on me, but my husband, who is Indian just carries his driver's license around with him whenever he's traveling WITHIN HIS OWN country. Now, we have traveled extensively throughout Kerala (his NATIVE STATE) and all over India, and have never, ever been asked for my husband's passport before. This has included places as diverse as the Taj Vivanta and tiny homestays through to mid-range hotels. A driver's license has always been enough for him. Would you carry your passport around when traveling in your own country?! Unfortunately, Antonio was absolutely non-negotiable on the subject, saying that he would call his lawyer (which we told him to do as we knew for certain we were in the right) and we even presented him with a photocopy of our marriage certificate in the end (which - and I am NOT exaggerating - he held up to the light to see if it was a fake!!) but by that stage we had really had enough of his attitude and didn't feel like giving him any of our money anyway. We walked up the street and found a much nicer place to stay with friendly staff.

I work in the travel industry and have friends who run hotels in Kerala, and after asking around, we confirmed that there is no way that a passport is necessary for an Indian citizen to check into a hotel or homestay with. Perhaps Antonio is simply ignorant on this matter, but the way in which he refused to believe us and his attitude towards us (not even believing that we were married and for some reason telling us that he was married to a Latvian woman like that made him sound less racist or something?) left a really sour taste in our mouth.

I would recommend staying at the lovely Walton's Homestay instead (we tried to stay there but Mr Walton was unfortunately booked out) or the Fort Heritage, where we did end up for the night. Better locations, nicer owners.

Stayed March 2012, travelled as a couple
3 Thank countingdonkeys
TagundNacht, Owner at Tag und Nacht, responded to this review, 31 May 2012
The Real Fact
It is quite unfortunate that the member has written a negative review about Tag und Nacht home stay which I own and run. And I take this opportunity to present the real facts about what actually transpired on that day.

The member and her husband had booked for a room. As per the law of the land I requested him to provide the necessary document as an address proof. And as an Indian Citizen a Voter's ID Card/Driving License/Ration Card/Passport is good enough for the same.

Unfortunately what transpired next was puzzling. The said gentleman refused to give me any of the above mentioned documents as the address proof. He told me that he has stayed at various hotels without the said documents. After a few minutes he told me that he will show his driving license copy on his Laptop and kept fiddling with it for sometime and then told me that it could not be found. Next up his sleeve was a shabby looking 'Marriage Certificate' he flashed that at me. I had a hard time reading it and held it against the light to see if I could read the text there. At that point of time I made a call to the Special Branch Cop (He is referred as the 'Lawyer' by the member) and he told me that the room should not be given without any of the above mentioned documents and this gentleman refused to talk to the Cop. Then he said that he will try to find some document and then he took out his Passport from his pocket but refused to allow me to see it and then promptly put it back and then challenged me saying that let me see if I can stay somewhere else without providing these documents. At that point I politely told him that he can't stay without the documents and the couple hastily left my home stay.

And as mentioned by the member my wife is Latvian and we have always been excellent hosts to our guests.

Antonio Verghese
Turn Your Opinions into Points!
Turn your opinions into JPMiles
Turn your opinions into PAYBACK Points
*You can enroll in only one programme at a time to earn rewards for reviews.
JPMiles / Payback Arrow
JPMiles / PAYBACK

Business
Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (15)
Birmingham, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 17 April 2012

The accommodation was clean and pleasant. Antonio was extremely helpful, giving us a map and plenty of places to visit. The only downside was at nightime the bathroom smelt so badly of drains we had to make sure we kept the door shut. Breakfast was a little strange as we were served with a fruit that we had never seen in our lives and a random bit of cheese, the rest of it was very pleasant however.

Room Tip: Try not to choose the room on the 1st floor overlooking the road (the 1st one as you come up the sta...
  • Stayed March 2012, travelled as a couple
1 Thank SaraNic123
Szczecin, Poland
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 17 April 2012

Tag und Nacht is one of the best locations and places to stay in Cochin. Near to the historic centre, restaurants and shops. Antony the owner is extremelly helpfull and will do his best to help you and make your stay memorable. Rooms are clean and spacious and some of them beautifully decorated. You will enjoy your stay there

• Stayed March 2012, travelled with friends
2 Thank ola79
New Delhi, India
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 20 March 2012

I went with two other friends for a quick one night stay in Fort Kochi before moving on to Alleppey and Varkala. We arrived at around 5:30pm and didn't get to Tag until about 7:30, but Antonio was very helpful in getting us settled quickly and giving us a quick overview of the area. We were able to walk about 8 minutes to a delicious restaurant nearby! The room itself had 3 beds, clean sheets, clean towels, soap, toilet paper (not all of them do!), and was clean! I felt safe leaving our things in the room and the Chinese fishing nets were only a 10-15 minute walk away! Unfortunately, we only had one night and a very early morning to explore, but I definitely recommend this homestay!

• Stayed March 2012, travelled with friends
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 3 March 2012

Our first 2 nights in India were at Tag und Nacht. We had no idea about the place but discovered a very pleasant homestay,with a lot of positive energy. Antonio was so generous and welcoming, he helped us organizing the rest of our trip. Very good location, 10 min away by walk (or 2min with a tuctuc, for less than a dollar) from the busy city. Great place Antonio, wish you the best!
Bachar and Diane